The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Down sizing, Losing Interest

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2021, 07:33 AM

Down sizing, Losing Interest

I just sold my Dura Max yesterday, and my trailer about a month ago. Also got rid of all most all my parts, and most the tools to pull engines. I will be 75, and things just are not as much fun or important to me anymore. So now I will not be going to any car show, far away, or Nat meets. Still have the car and my son wants it so not selling it. My son tried to talk me out of doing this, but I did anyway. Anyone else my age doing the same thing or, still have a lot of interest?
Old June 24th, 2021, 07:58 AM

My dad is 83 and wants to go to car shows , drag racing with me and can't because is just to unstable to walk. He has 5 antique or street rods. Not interested in selling any of them. He thinks he will get better so I let it go. If that makes him happy so be it.
Old June 24th, 2021, 08:43 AM
same but different

I say, good for you Harv. To rid one self of things that have become burdensome, can be a big relief. May it bring you peace.

I retired early and cleaned up a lot of my car stuff. I'm still a car enthusiast, but I don't miss the "stuff".
Old June 24th, 2021, 09:39 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I will be 75 next month and am going to restore a 57 Chevy 2 door sedan I have had over 50 years. It will be my last one. If it didn't have sentimental value I would probably sell it. At some point my 54 Olds will be sold and the Chevy will go to my son.
Old June 24th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Oldsdruid

Years ago when I'd hear someone saying "lost interest" I'd think "what a copout".

Now, at nearly 65 with bad hips and back, I understand. Add in the last 12 years I worked, I was routinely putting in 75 or more hours a week and had no time for any of my hobbies. If I somehow got a few days off I was usually so strung out from work I didn't want to do anything but turn off the phone and hide so work couldn't get hold of me.

Now that I've escaped that, the back and hips preclude me doing more than very simple jobs on the cars. I go in the garage and think what will have to be done to get them roadworthy, and I close the door and go back in the house.

I never thought I'd end up this way. Harv, I understand.
Old June 24th, 2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I just sold my Dura Max yesterday, and my trailer about a month ago. Also got rid of all most all my parts, and most the tools to pull engines. I will be 75, and things just are not as much fun or important to me anymore. So now I will not be going to any car show, far away, or Nat meets. Still have the car and my son wants it so not selling it. My son tried to talk me out of doing this, but I did anyway. Anyone else my age doing the same thing or, still have a lot of interest?
I'm only 57 and I get it. I had a minor heart attack a month ago. Cars really aren't that important to me anymore....
Old June 24th, 2021, 04:09 PM
Olds Fever

I know the feeling Harv, I am also in the process of downsizing... I have so much NOS and used parts inventory it is time to downsize even further... I have reduced the vehicle inventory substantially over the past few years (from 34 to 11) but a few more still need to go...
Old June 24th, 2021, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I have a friend who sold his 69 Roadrunner not because of his age, its because he lost interest. He's in his mid 50's. I'm beginning to lose interest in both of my Cutlasses and I'm 52. I dont have a lift and my electricity stopped working in my garage. I have to improvise a lot. I dont have enough room in my garage. It's 20x20 so if I want to work on my car, I have to pull it out of the garage and work in a hazy hot and humid day. Plus, my garage is next to a mechanic shop so I have their customers stop and watch me or talk to me and I just totally ignore them. I have no privacy. This is why I have to wake up like 4am, pull my cars out and work on it peacefully. When the shop opens up, I just put my cars back in the garage and call it a day.
Old June 24th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Im nearing 66, projects done and more to do.... lots of plans when I retire maybe next year most involve working on neglected things. Thank God I have no known health issues, no aches or pains... Just walked over 10 miles at Carlisle... Yes for sure I have too much clutter so thats on the list to do also. I guess the car thing runs deep in my blood.... I have things I want to get done so I have to keep at it. Was never able to buy a finished car so I always go with project cars, no thoughts of getting out of it now...
Old June 24th, 2021, 05:25 PM

The thing I resent the most about getting old is my lack of ambition. I have enough of the medical problems if I'm looking for excuseless but in reality I could do a lot more. When everyday is Saturday it's easy to put it off for tomorrow after all it's Saturday isn't it. When I get going I'm having fun and enjoying myself but it's getting harder to get off the couch and away from the TV....Tedd
Old June 24th, 2021, 06:18 PM

When the “things” that bring us joy become a chore, they are no longer a joy but an albatross both physically, emotionally and financially. I’m sure that your “loyalty” has been sufficiently demonstrated at your age. Pass on the legacy to another eager individual and remember the joy that it brought you during that particular window of your life. It is after all, just a car that had a life expectancy of -10 years!😆
Old June 25th, 2021, 06:38 AM
Jeff

I'm 4 days shy of the big 5-OH NO, and understand. I have too many things in my life, so the car is the one that has been selected to be downsized. Cottage on a lake = boats and PWC's, and no time for the convertible. My Dad is 75 and his health sucks right now. He got out of old cars altogether a few years ago, and his toy now is a 2015 GMC Sierra AT4.

Best of luck to you with selling.
Old June 25th, 2021, 10:14 PM

At 67 I still have the passion and a willing mind but not so willing body (multiple health issues) so I kind of fall into the WWD (wash , wax, drive) category I still like to make minor repairs clocks, trunk lights, dome lights small things, I could and would still hang a set of shoes etc if required... but have no real desire to be hanging over fenders for extended periods and certainly not on my back under a car, I'm afraid those days are behind me and as much as I hate to admit it I probably would have to pay someone to make major repairs.
I still have all my tools and a good compressor but no lift and very limited space. I have to jockey cars around or wait until my wife goes someplace to drive the Olds.
I still enjoy the occasional cruise in as it gives me a chance to show the old girl off but I have to say Harv as I have gotten older material possessions seem to mean a lot less to me and things I used to take for granted become more cherished.
Some may call it defeat I call it wisdom. p/s for now the Olds isn't going anywhere ,some day hopefully a proud Grandson will be driving it
Old June 27th, 2021, 09:00 AM

I'm 71, still plugging away but I don't get things done like before I retired. I'm in decent shape, all parts/joints I was born with. Thank Goodness for my 2post lift and all my gizmos to make things easier. I'm careful lifting things. This phone is evil and burns up a lot of productive time. I have downsized some, 4 cars in five years. I've got to the point I won't even bother selling unless it's worth it$$$ or it's in my way. I use to have a half a dozen car Buddies all the time in and out. Now their all gone so that makes my hobby loses it's luster. Jmo.
Old June 27th, 2021, 09:22 AM

i'm 73 and bought a new 67 442 and after marriage and kids sold it and told my wife some day i will get another. bought identical car 4 years ago that need a total frame up and paint and did it. have driven it a total of two summers to the tune of 300 miles now wondering why i bought it. priorities change and health but still a true OLDS man. you young guys enjoy it while you can..
Old June 27th, 2021, 12:23 PM
69 Cutlass S

Im new to classic cars, in early 60’s. Hoping to get 20 goods years of enjoyment. Would not want to be doing a rebuild at this age. Just doing basic maintenance is tough on the back. Being newly retired I like having another hobby to fill time. At my camp I ride and maintain my enduro and atv. At home the Olds is my toy and fun driver.
Really happy how much pleasure I’m getting just being behind the wheel of a decent V8. Hope it keeps feeling that way.
Day any hobby becomes work it gets sold or cut back. Hunting has had that happen, used to consume me. Now when its 20 degrees and snowing I say screw this I’m heading in.
Old June 27th, 2021, 03:49 PM

As the years keep flying by, I can see that this year may be the last year for keeping the "skunk." (An old friend noticed the Cutlass come in on the car carrier and said, "hey Bunse, I think that's your Cutlass, looks like a skunk!) Next year she goes, 52 years will be enough.
Old June 27th, 2021, 04:15 PM

Man, this thread is depressing!!!

Im getting close to the big 50! I knew someday I would get old, it’s just getting here faster than I ever expected.

When I was 20, it didn’t bother me one bit crawling around on a cold concrete floor. If concrete wasn’t available, it wasn’t uncommon to be on the ground if there was no alternative. Now that Im pushing 50, an hour on the concrete hurts the next day.

I raced bikes, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, dirt bikes, ran track, wrestled in high school, had my share of bad falls and scrapes, but other than some stitches, no serious injuries. I was 40 years old before I broke my first bone, and I screwed it up bad enough to need surgery to fix.

If I don’t have the car hobby, I’m not sure what I would do. It’s been such a huge part of my life, I’m not sure what I would do. I obviously have other interests, but I get edgy without my garage and tinkering time.

Does anyone know what I’m getting at? Anyone had the same concerns years ago, and dealing with the issues now? Hopefully someone has some words of encouragement!!
Old June 27th, 2021, 04:26 PM
Bfg

You don’t quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
Old June 27th, 2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bfg
You don’t quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!
Exactly the encouragement I was hoping for.
Old June 27th, 2021, 04:49 PM
69 Cutlass S

Im amazed how many folks don’t fight aging. My wife and I weigh the same as we did 40 years ago. Walk 3 miles a day, stretch every am. Light weight lifting. All so we can stay active. Both had active non desk jobs, helped alot. Didn’t start getting tired until 60. Now 3 hours work in the garden, or on our properties is enough for a day. Eating better than we ever did.
Gotta have hobbies and things to do. We cut and bring in 4-5 cords of wood a year. Grow 40% of out own fruit and vegetables. Hunt our own meat. Kayak all year. Hike all year. Maintain 5 vehicles, multiple small engines. Spend a month a year at the beach. Pretty much what we used to do after work and weekends. Now we actually watch 2 hours of tv a day, never had time before.
She’s picked up quilting since retiring, I now have a 52 yo car to worry about. Life is good live it while you can.
Old June 28th, 2021, 05:31 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by matt69olds

If I don’t have the car hobby, I’m not sure what I would do. It’s been such a huge part of my life, I’m not sure what I would do. I obviously have other interests, but I get edgy without my garage and tinkering time.

Does anyone know what I’m getting at? Anyone had the same concerns years ago, and dealing with the issues now? Hopefully someone has some words of encouragement!!
I hit the big 50 tomorrow. I just bought a Kawasaki Jet Mate last week for more fun at the lake. Did I mention the lake is why I'm getting out of the car hobby? Anyway, my perspective is that you have a hobby to keep you busy while you're employed, but use that hobby to keep your eyes open to other fun sh*t to become involved with. We all retire eventually!

And to Greybeard's comment regarding fighting aging, I started my fight last year. Got two surgeries to fix things I had been ignoring for too long, have dropped 20lbs in the past year, and am encouraging the rest of the family to join me in my fitness journey. I've been watching my parents health decline over the past year and it scares me. They are only in their mid-70's.
Old June 28th, 2021, 07:59 AM

Trust me you will start slowing down and it comes on rather quickly. For me it was in my late 60's ,my dad it wasn't till he was in his late 80's, we are all different but sooner or later we will find ourselves on the wrong end of the hour glass, it's just the way life works.

This car I'm building now I'm sure will be my last but that's all right I know enough people who can crawl under a car and do the things I can't and it doesn't hurt my pocket book as much as my old bones would. Build them good and they will last longer than we will, then our kids can get a taste of what this hobby is all about....Tedd
Old June 28th, 2021, 06:40 PM

One thing I recommend is treat your work like a job. "Today I am going to get up at a decent hour and do yardwork until dinner. Then I am going to shower, eat a grand meal, drink whisky, listen to rock n roll, then bang the wife."

In there was eight hours of work, but, then, the work was done and it was time to relax. It is just as important to relax as it is to do work. Also, you guys need apprentices.
Old June 28th, 2021, 08:05 PM

100% get it. Got out of the hobby for years. Thought I could get the passion back. I tried, but was just fooling myself. Other things became far more important. No regrets at all. Had lots of decent cars. Tons of fun. Met so many great people that are still friends today.
Old June 29th, 2021, 12:03 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Trust me you will start slowing down and it comes on rather quickly. For me it was in my late 60's ,my dad it wasn't till he was in his late 80's, we are all different but sooner or later we will find ourselves on the wrong end of the hour glass, it's just the way life works.
+1 , I,m retired from work now at 62 years old and much things goes slower than before. But i can live with that ,
it,s not how many things you can do in 24 hours who is important , it,s how you feel and your health. Have been
in this stress wheel earlier in life , totaly worthless. Have also a couple of buddies who worked their a!! off to could
pay bills for new houses and cars but now are dead , they don´t had their chance to enjoy retierment in older days

Have stopped having plans like "must do things" several days ahead , take the day as it comes mostly and it feels fine
Took a bike ride yesterday in the fine weather and still love it and also to take a ride in my cars.

Last edited by GCH; June 29th, 2021 at 12:12 AM.