The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Don't Drink and Drive

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Don't Drink and Drive

This video is from Australia, but it is something to see. If it stops one person from drinking and driving, then it's worth it. Don't know about the US but in Canada it's a federal crime and if convicted, you get a criminal record. This was made for the Christmas season, but I think it's valid for any time of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
This video is from Australia, but it is something to see. If it stops one person from drinking and driving, then it's worth it. Don't know about the US but in Canada it's a federal crime and if convicted, you get a criminal record. This was made for the Christmas season, but I think it's valid for any time of the year.

Holly Sh*&

I think I'll show that one to the kids...
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:00 AM

Man, I just could not watch all of it. I quit drinking 10+ yrs ago, and it still hurts to watch others in pain.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:31 AM

any one need a tissue?
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM

You can feel the pain through the video--whats the answer? Don't drink and drive don't really cover it all -- Andy
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM

We never see the consequences in the trendy TV shows or commercials.
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:29 PM

I have had to see the carnage and outcome from drinking and driving.Been to the funerals cousins daughter killed in this way.
Drinking and driving happens but so does the driving imparred by drugs.
Don't know the answer and have tought the kids to always be on the lookout ahead and behind for people driving under the influence of something.
When your dead you are dead for a long time and however you die it takes away everything you are and could have been,people start remembering you in years past.
It's the worst way and always to soon.
Steve
Old February 27th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much

Australia says the carnage has decreased by about 65% since this campaign was launched. Why can't the rest of the world take the hint and follow through in the same manner? The deaths and injuries (and grief to families) causes by drinking and driving is totally controllable. Public education is only part of the answer. The other part is personal responsibility.

To the Aussies, Good on ya!
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM

A few years back in Quebec, to forego a criminal record if found giulty, a person had to take an 8 hour class. That's all, one eight hour class. As far a I know 100% opted for the class. Then they found out that they had to witness 4 hours in a hospital ER, spend 2 hours in a morgue and the remaining 2 hours going to the funeral of a victim of a drunk driver.

It showed the "students" afterwards crying like babies. Some said it was cruel and unusual punishment, others said they got the message and learned their lesson. Don't know if the program is still running or if it was just the sentencing of just one judge. Whatever it was, I say make it national.
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Outrage

Ken, that was a very wise Judge who should be appointed to teach and set standards for other Judges. Only I wouldn't make this a option for convictions on DUI, DWI or whatever anyone wants to call it. I would make it MANDATORY, and to be ADDED to any sentencing or penalties that can be imposed by the law. As far as making it NATIONAL??? No way. I disagree. It should be UNIVERSAL.
The DUI situation is getting out of control. And it seems that some role models are not helping the situation. Big $$$ = Big rewards???

Edmonton Oilder Goal tender Khabibulin is charged with three misdemeanours: impaired to slightest degree; DUI-Blood Alcohol Level (BAC) of .08 or more; and exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 m.p.h. In July, Khabibulin signed a $15-million, four-year contract with the Oilers
I hope the judge treats him with some contempt. Professional sports players should answer to a higher level considering the impact they have on the public.

I have VERY LITTLE tolerance for anyone who even thinks drinking and driving are ok, in any degree of moderation. At one time, my license was my career, and it was impressed upon me in strong terms by my class 2 Instructor how important a responsibility drivers have. A Class 5 license is all the general public has, and the law seems to think that general public standards should be on the low scale. I disagree. The standard that is in play is for safe operation of a motor vehicle as driver alone or with passengers. And it's not just the other users of the road you deal with, it's also pedestrians too!! Sidewalks are not a passing lane for idiots in a hurry. That's a hell of a responsibility and should be treated as such. In most states and provinces, the best way to get off the hook for killing someone is to do it as vehicular homicide. The court will go to great lengths to feel sorry for you - and in some cases turn the table and make the innocent victims the fall guys. Pathetic and outrageous!!

Sorry Ken, this is a very bitter topic that brings out some strong personal emotions. I'm just sick of the leniency where the "legal system" gives the bad actors more screen credits than the people they injure or kill.
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM

When you start talking with people about it most people will say they know someone or know a family who lost someone from drunk driving. I'm sure there would be some people speaking out saying this kind of advertizing, or the judges ruling is too harsh. But death is pretty harsh too, or living your life knowing you caused the death of someone else because of your mistake. I've heard the phrase "scared straight" and believe it's a good idea.
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Banned

ive seen this before,but i didnt know what country it was from.

you will never see anything like this in the US
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 2blu442
When you start talking with people about it most people will say they know someone or know a family who lost someone from drunk driving. I'm sure there would be some people speaking out saying this kind of advertizing, or the judges ruling is too harsh. But death is pretty harsh too, or living your life knowing you caused the death of someone else because of your mistake. I've heard the phrase "scared straight" and believe it's a good idea.
Amen John.
The only problem with any of the whole DUI thing is the culture we live in today. A lot of people don't give a care and don't act responsible. Your words hit home on both counts. And every day, there's another article in the paper about a crash/fatality/injury caused by: u guessed it, slobbering drunks who walk away without a scratch. Pisses me off no end.

BTW, it used to be that DUIs were most noted after 11:00 pm. That's a good time to be off the road. Although nowadays, it's not just alchohol, its also drugs that change the tone of driving from safe to dangerous to criminal.
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM
is Fast Enough ...

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
We never see the consequences in the trendy TV shows or commercials.
What do you mean?

"Just say 'no' to drugs" didn't cut it?

Blame falls squarely on American society because they can't handle the consequences.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM

WOW! Is that ever graphic.Wouldn't hurt to use this as a tool in DUI cases. Maybe driver education classes before you get a license.
Old March 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM

Here's a UK commercial that hits home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCg1H_RBFE

Which reminds me, here's some UK Army commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG1lUd5-sz4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR4eqrgMrz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFCrQbxv7P0
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by hamm36
Man, I just could not watch all of it. I quit drinking 10+ yrs ago, and it still hurts to watch others in pain.
Same here.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
GM Enthusiast

All I can say is "wow". I need to drive to do my job so any kind of drinking while driving infractions would put me out of a job. So there is NO WAY I even have a drink before I get behind the wheel. Since my wife does not drink, I make her drive instead!
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM

My mom was hit by a drunk driver back in 1988, actually March 19th it will be 22 years ago.

She survived. How I still don't know.

1981 Plymouth Reliant 't' boned by a 1975 Chevy Monte Carlo going 65 in a 25 and she wasn't wearing a seat belt.

I've been on that side of DUI and don't ever want to put another family thought that. In fact since I carry a CDL, but BAC has to be .04 in my own car instead of the .08 like everybody else. I don't mind
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:29 AM
Captain of my ship

I wish I could say that I have never driven while over the legal limit or that I have always driven responsibly since getting my driver's lisence but that of course would be wishfull thinking. What I can say is that I have never been unfortunate being involved in an accident because of my bad desicions. And I think therein lies part of the problem with youth , the thought that it will never happen to me. In reality everyone who drinks and drives or drives in a manner that endangers themselves or others who are on the road around them are playing russian roulette.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hamm36
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but what is that supposed to mean?
I can't for the life of me figure out what quitting drinking has to do with any of this unless you were drinking and driving when you did drink.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but what is that supposed to mean?
I can't for the life of me figure out what quitting drinking has to do with any of this unless you were drinking and driving when you did drink.
The pain that is caused by people who drink, do not realize the pain it causes there family and friends. And some times people they do not even know. Did I drink and drive? Yes, I have. Maybe I am just a softy when it come to seeing people in pain. My statement of being sober 10+ yrs is an encouragement to anyone that might want to quit.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:03 PM

Hey its good to know about Canada.Good rule has been made for Canadian people.Drinking and driving is not at safe,its really totally a crime.People should think over it.Nice video.