The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Daughter going to college!

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2011, 03:29 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Daughter going to college!

My daughter goes to college on Monday. She is going to Longwood university. She is my first child. This is making me very nervous but proud. She is a good kid and made the honors program. I know my wife will be crying and probably me too.
Larry
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:49 PM

my girls are only 4 and 7 but i want to cry just thinking about that day. hang in there.
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM
One part at a time

I always tell parents of young kids that the kid is 18 and gone and they just don't realize it. It goes by so fast...

Coach all the teams, attend all the events. You won't be sorry and the kid can't guilt you down the road.
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Oldsdruid

Longwood is a good school and highly respected among Vajenyans. Farmville is a typical college town, and it's an hour or so away from Richmond, Lynchburg or Charlottesville which are also college towns to an extent. I think she'll be happy there.

Between two long-ago girlfriends, spent quite a bit of time there meself back in the 70s!
Old August 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM

Larry, I know where you are coming from with the way you feel. My youngest will go to college this Tuesday and it's her senior year. (I'm excited as this means the end of college tuition) Yet, it seems like it was just yesterday that we were dropping her off for her freshman year. Our oldest went away to school but the middle one went to a local colllege and commuted so we got a little bit of a break with dropping one of them off at school. It will be a tough day, try not to delay the departure too much as it makes it worse, have a box of tissues in the car for the wife to use on the ride home and be prepared to send several packages to school for things that were forgotten. Do a few things with the wife for the first week as it will be quiet around the house, even if you have other children there. The time at college will go quickly and you'll catch yourself wondering where the years went. So enjoy the time while it's here, take pride in her accomplishments, visit once a semseter or more but not too much and watch her grow into an adult that you'll be even more proud of. Just remember, you raise your kids to turn them loose one day and you have to trust that the values you taught them will serve them well when they are on their own.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Oldsdruid

http://www.sovanow.com/index.php?/ne...an_class_ever/
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Administrator

My son is going to college this year also. My wife already warned me about her fragile state of not having him around!!! I plan on occupying my time by working on the car!!!
Old August 16th, 2011, 07:22 PM
71 cutlass convertible

got her there yesterday and everything seems good. getting ready to send the first of many care packages.
Larry
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Holiday starts kindergarten next week - seems like 2 weeks ago she was in a bassinett next to our bed - time goes too fast...have to cherish every moment you have with them...life is way too short.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
008.JPG (95.2 KB, 3 views)
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Be Happy and well

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
My daughter goes to college on Monday. She is going to Longwood university. She is my first child. This is making me very nervous but proud. She is a good kid and made the honors program. I know my wife will be crying and probably me too.
Larry
Larry, congratulations on having a daughter with her head on straight. I really mean it. Most kids now a days don't have a goal in life. You and your wife have done well raising an honor student. One day she will probably graduate with honors as well.

Both my wife and I are facing the same challenge in about a year. Our son completed his grades 10-12 in only 2 years, while achieving honors in all programs. He wants to work for 1/2 year in a Registered Apprentice program, and then spend another 1/2 year working on advanced CAD programming. His goal is to be an architect.

Your tears will be of sadness at first, followed by tears of happiness as you continue to see her grow and succeed. God Bless you and your family.
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:28 AM
71 cutlass convertible

My daughter is very goal focused. During one visit all the students were asking about social life and such. She asked about the program that got her master's in 5 years. I have been trying to slow her down a little bit as I don't want her to crack.
Larry