The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Dang its cold

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM

Dang its cold

I was going to get some work done on my olds..Its in the garage but its still to damn cold..I am going to look at some heaters tommorrow..I have a 40000 btu kerosene heater but it takes to long to heat up my 20x20 garage.
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Oldsdruid

Supposed to hit 19 here tonight. Don't care if it is time of year for it, I'm not ready for it.

Just hope we don't have a long hard cold snap this winter like we had all those 100 degree days back in the summer.
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Pretty cold up here too!!! LOL

MAny areas around Toronto just got hit with over 4ft of snow the last 2 days.
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:44 AM

We let the shovels do the talking...there wasn't enough snow to get the Oliver out of the shed...
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Cutlass Lover

I hate cold....... and snow........ it's like February around here.
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:12 AM

I awoke to -1 here in MN...I found a couple of nice space heaters at Fleet Farm
that will not smoke you out. I found an oil filled heater that is sealed, a coil heats the oil and radiates the space.... says it can heat a 20x20... But at these early January type temps who knows if it can keep up..
And I hate the cold...Only 102 days until SPRING!!!!!!
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM

There's a guy walking around the office doing his Goldmember imitation with a slight modification...."I hate COOOOOLD"
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
We let the shovels do the talking...there wasn't enough snow to get the Oliver out of the shed...
Well then you better enjoy that

C'mon down the highway a couple of hours to London then and be sure to bring that snow-blower with you....

It seems to have relaxed a bit this morning but the last three days have been pretty bad here.

Here's a link to what it's like here

For those of you in the fair weather areas you may not want to see this, it may give you nightmares...lol

http://swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C...7/?hub=SWOHome

Duane
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM

Yes I know it PO's most of you cold winter people off but........ It would not be winter unless some butt head from the warm states posted up so here goes, yesterday evening after work, 12-07-10 my backyard, dumping water on the new winter lawn, Makers Mark on the rocks and a Rocky Patel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mkII 014.jpg (64.3 KB, 27 views)
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Don't make me come down there!!! Actually please make me come down there.

On the bright side at least our cattle don't die of thirst and end up hanging above our sheds!!!
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM

80's next week in the valley right a64olz.
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Registered

I never hear you guys saying how nice it is in the summertime, unlike the summer there at least we can put on a coat and go out in the winter instead of being trapped in a swamp coolered prison with cabin fever.
Unless you wear a space suit how long would you last there in the summer?, then something would stick, sting or bite you to death if the heat didn't kill you first

In the winter it's a trucked in sod lawn since the dirt is like rock with no nutrients , in the summer it's a catbox under a heatlamp and it's too hot to swim in the pool or go cruising.
Houses out there have to have high masonry walls in the backyard, if not there would be illegals squatting in the yard, or worse, and the coyotes would be walking away with your kids.
You sure have a small house a64olz, I do like the steer skull above the door though.
I'm no pretentious butt head with a "lawn", I have good old red-blooded American country grass in my yard, if it's green and not mud it's grass, pretty yellow flowers pop up and carpet the whole yard in the spring too.
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I never hear you guys saying how nice it is in the summertime, unlike the summer there at least we can put on a coat and go out in the winter instead of being trapped in a swamp coolered prison with cabin fever.
Unless you wear a space suit how long would you last there in the summer?, then something would stick, sting or bite you to death if the heat didn't kill you first

In the winter it's a trucked in sod lawn since the dirt is like rock with no nutrients , in the summer it's a catbox under a heatlamp and it's too hot to swim in the pool or go cruising.
Houses out there have to have high masonry walls in the backyard, if not there would be illegals squatting in the yard, or worse, and the coyotes would be walking away with your kids.
You sure have a small house a64olz, I do like the steer skull above the door though.
I'm no pretentious butt head with a "lawn", I have good old red-blooded American country grass in my yard, if it's green and not mud it's grass, pretty yellow flowers pop up and carpet the whole yard in the spring too.
Blue,

Dem flowers is called Butter cups. In the wild they're consider a wild flower in the yard they're considered a weed.

I was in Arizona one summer and the Hertz place gave me one of those Caddys with the 2 foot deep dash and aloto glass above it. The sucker was black and when ya got out of it for 2 minutes it started to roast the seats.

But I spose it's like life. " No matter where ya go..........there you are. "
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo..... I think Blue is talking about our favorite flower, the dandelion!! Those suckers never die.... they come up through cracks in concrete, asphalt, whatever! You can spend big bucks keeping them out of your yard, until the seeds blow over from the ones growing in your neighbor's yard. They also have roots that go to China, lol! Can't just pull the damned things. They break off and grow right back!

Someday I'm gonna live in Arizona, and I'm gonna enjoy my cacti and my cat litter gravel yard. I love it out there. Just look at that beautiful sky in that picture.... palm trees..... SUN! God, I am soooooooooo jealous!! That is a beautiful pic!!
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM

My friend bought a condo in Scottsdale. The dollars were par and the million dollar condo was $300,000. He goes there about 4-5 times a year. Spends summer here. Apparently they have realtors that specialize in finding property for Canadians looking to buy. Actually a few friends have done that.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Sandy, I think we all oughta have a January Daiquiri down in Key West. Dats my vote.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo...... I'm beyond ready, lol!!!
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM

We are having a hard time down here as well, hot and dry, about 80 deg. cold beer, lots of cruising....
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Cutlass Lover

Ooohhh.... I feel so bad for you, lol!
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Ooohhh.... I feel so bad for you, lol!

It's tough going but somebodys got to do it.
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:44 PM

-5c here right now (sorry, no speaka fahrenheit eh). I have to get parts powdercoated all the time even if I don't really like the color/texture, etc. Just no where to paint (unless I can get a local Maaco or something to do stuff). There is one place in Stoney Creek here that rents a paint booth... but at $250/day... no thanks.
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by Bluevista

Blue you are right on the money, Phoenix and most of the lower half of the state is a smelly arm pit from May through October, masonry walls are standard, electrical bills are in the $400-$500 a month, water bills run over a $100 to keep the pool filled and the grass semi green, and yes coyotes live in the city. We buy steer manure in bags to put on our lawns, we plant grass, and rake up dead palm fronds. When it rains the streets flood and our roofs leak. We start our work day at 5 AM and it stays above 100 degrees until midnight and it's too hot to get in the pool after work, we have water misters on our patios so we can go outside for a few minutes. Car batteries are good for 2 years, tires last about the same. We cant cook in the house and the windows are never open during pre summer, summer and post summer.
Winter is all we have.
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:16 AM

Just came up from T.O. (Toronto) temp there is -12 ...here, a half hour north it is -26 C