The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Damn rescue animals anyway

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2021, 09:39 PM
Banned

Damn rescue animals anyway

Had to post this. My girl kept thinking that our dog (also a rescue) needed a dog friend. We have two cats that are sisters from the cat rescue. I love my dog Sky. My girl out of nowhere says look Honey. I found a red Husky. She was pimped out like a kardashian. Never been inside ever in her life. Oh my gosh what a Sweetheart. So does not know dog things. Looked at our stairs like ???? She will be a dog in training for sure but we got this. Our dog Sky is the best mother dog ever. We took our new dog Pearl on a walk on a leash tonight. First time ever she has done that. Red Husky equals lots of energy. She is only two. I can't wait to teach this dog alongside my dog Sky. Go to the rescue people. Quit buying purebred. I am a mutt. Polish mutt. Proud of it.

How do people abuse animals??
Old July 21st, 2021, 11:02 PM

I've had a couple of Siberian Huskies over the years, great dogs, but they really like to explore, whether you want them to or not, so, keep an eye on 'em because they are good escape artists.
Old July 21st, 2021, 11:26 PM
Banned

Our dog Sky is husky too. Blue eyes and all. You are so right though. She is quick and wants to run. I am a good animal Dad though. So sad to see such a beautiful dog not know what to do. Like I said though. I have patience. I love her already. Trying to get her to relax tonight. She is tripping on everything. Doesn't know a walk. Doesn't know dog life. Doesn't know a loving home. Doesn't know an inside. She will now. She obviously was not abused. I have to say that. Super lovey. Just confused. We will get her there. Sky is the best Momma dog ever. She will help train her.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:11 AM

Lucky pup she found a good spot to be.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 08:34 AM
Banned

She is a sweetheart. Need to work on doing her business outside but we will get thru it. I feel for animals that have never been allowed to be what they are. Had zero clue that my wife would be bringing home a new dog. Oops.

Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:56 AM
Banned

So to all you Husky owner's out there. Crazy amounts of fur. I don't mind brushing her at all but do you shave a Husky?
Old July 22nd, 2021, 04:53 PM

Congrats on your new adoption !! every dog I have had except for 1 pure bred Collie (with more papers than the Ney York Times) was a rescue and all of them have been excellent dogs and worth the effort it took to get them where they needed to be, the one I have now has a screw loose but I refer to it as personality !! I swear every one of them knew they were doomed and were grateful for their rescue.
On the subject of Huskies I'm no expert but have a friend that rescues them and he told me great dogs, loving and playful however he noted the same as you indicated, never off a leash !! he says as obedient as they are off leash is a big gamble. I believe he said of all that he had owned probably 8 or so only 1 could be trusted off leash.
Hope you and her bond well and have great times.
P/S my current rescue Stella is a all white med. size Shepard mix, she sheds 365 days a year 7 days a week 24 hours a day !!!!!
Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:17 PM
Banned

Thanks for your reply. Lordy am I learning quick. She got off the leash again tonight in the backyard. I ran no lie twelve blocks chasing her. Carried her all the way home. Harness tomorrow. I love her. She loves our home already. I am patient. Not her fault for being pimped out. I love animals. Boxing and martial arts training pays off in so many ways ha ha. I am still too old to chase a Husky. Ha ha ha.

Good on all you animal lovers out there!!

Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:28 PM

Nope, don't shave them, just brush a lot. Not sure where your'e located, but if up north, they grow a winter coat, and shed it in the spring, with endless tufts of it coming out. They have an insulating layer of fur nearer to the body than the long hair that you can readily see, it makes it almost impossible to wash them fully. I always say that they have a good sense of humor. One way that I got mine to get back home after an escape, was to follow them with my car, or later my truck, and open the door "for a ride", worked everytime.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:37 PM
Banned

Thanks for the comments. I will be good with her. She came from such a rough existence. Yet she is still super sweet. Our household and our dog Sky will benefit her big time. Worn me out the last 24 hours but you gotta help the world. Dogs Cats People. Be that dude.

But about these damn mosquitoes...

PS: I am in Colorado. Can't wait to get her out in the snow.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solly
Congrats on your new adoption !! every dog I have had except for 1 pure bred Collie (with more papers than the Ney York Times) was a rescue and all of them have been excellent dogs and worth the effort it took to get them where they needed to be, the one I have now has a screw loose but I refer to it as personality !! I swear every one of them knew they were doomed and were grateful for their rescue.
On the subject of Huskies I'm no expert but have a friend that rescues them and he told me great dogs, loving and playful however he noted the same as you indicated, never off a leash !! he says as obedient as they are off leash is a big gamble. I believe he said of all that he had owned probably 8 or so only 1 could be trusted off leash.
P/S my current rescue Stella is a all white med. size Shepard mix, she sheds 365 days a year 7 days a week 24 hours a day !!!!!
Solly. Thanks for your input. So does not surprise me that you are an animal lover too. Our Momma dog Sky. I brush her all the time. Five years and counting. I though wow Sky you sure shed... Then we brought Pearl home... Holy winter blankets for the squirrels birds raccoons etc. Gotta love animals. She is sitting right next to me. She has only been here 24 hours. 🐕
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Banned

Little update for those that care.

We named her Pearl. She came from a world that was never inside a house. Ever. Everything outside is all new to her. Poor dawgs... She is full of Crazy Crazy energy. Oh my God. If you read online that Husky's can run? You have no idea. She rears up like a horse off the plains. I have chased her so many times. I am old. In shape but still.. But... I love her. She has come sooooooo far. Kind to our kits. They said she would be aggressive towards cats. Zero. She will be food aggressive. Zero. She is house trained. Never seen the inside of a house. Trained? I am patient... A leash. A home. The inside of anything??!! Every walk is Left Right Left Right... Everything is something she hasn't seen. Never seen a bone. Doesn't know how to beg. Doesn't even get why or what you are cooking. Breeders suck. She is learning to poop outside. She is so smart. We were blessed getting her. She and our dawg Sky so get along. I said No Honey. Sky is good she has her kits. Our Cats. She said: Honey you said if you had a choice you would want a red female Husky. Not fair. It was in passing. Anyway. She looks kinda comfy here. I might just keep her!❤️

Oh my gosh I will let her pull a sled in the Winter. She loves the rain. Snow? Pull me. I am old...

PS: Husky fans. That harness is no joke.
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by solly
Solly what you said is so so true. I have never been a dog until my Girl came and blessed my world. I know nothing about dogs to be honest. I have loved Sky for the last many years but had Zero clue what a young neglected pimped out by a breeder Female Husky would bring to my table. I remind myself that it isn't her fault. She is so loving after all that she has been thru. Loving as she is... She gets off the leash and it is on. I have been a runner myself in my life. Chase a Husky? Yeah ok. I have chased her over 15 blocks and back. We got a harness for her but still. Huskies pull and dance to get out of anything like Harry Houdini. She comes to me now. That is HUGE progress. Sweet doggie. She is in a good home. Not her fault that she was never inside a house. Never had someone that cared. Uugghh. Fine it's us. 🍻

Last edited by no1oldsfan; August 4th, 2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old August 5th, 2021, 08:40 AM

The harness is a neccessity, you'll get a work out every time that you take her for a walk.
Old August 5th, 2021, 10:07 AM
Banned

Boy amen to that. Good thing that I have strong arms. She rears up like a wild horse. She jerked completely out of her harness last night. Thank God she ran into the house. See a rabbit??!!! Lordy hold on. Poor dog has never seen a leash. She is doing really good though.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; August 5th, 2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old August 5th, 2021, 11:33 AM

I knew a Siberian that would get an underbody shave in the late spring. Seemed to like it. This was in Connecticut
Old August 5th, 2021, 01:40 PM

A friend of mine had one of those back in high school / college. For "walks" he would put on the harness and let the dog pull him on his skateboard for a couple of miles. Sometimes we would follow along on our bikes to keep them company. Never saw a dog with so much energy.

Good luck to you and your pack!
Old August 5th, 2021, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fun71
A friend of mine had one of those back in high school / college. For "walks" he would put on the harness and let the dog pull him on his skateboard for a couple of miles. Sometimes we would follow along on our bikes to keep them company. Never saw a dog with so much energy.

Good luck to you and your pack!
Oh can't wait (ok really I can) for snow. This dog Loves the rain. I am thinking she will be the same with snow. In the winter I think I will have one fast sled. 🤣
Old August 5th, 2021, 09:03 PM

Just watch out for rabbits!
Old August 6th, 2021, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fun71
Just watch out for rabbits!
Ha ha. No lie. Thing is these young rabbits will be meals most likely by then.
Old November 12th, 2021, 09:18 PM
Banned

Little update for the dog lovers. Pearl is enjoying life. Still high energy but sure do love her. Dog never knew a bone toy etc. She is adapting well.

Old November 13th, 2021, 07:02 AM
72 Olds CS

Haha just like our cat, it finds a safe place close by to watch the dog play…..then when the dogs move on the cat will jump down and sniff around tosee what the fuss was about.
Old November 13th, 2021, 10:36 AM

Hats off to you getting orphans. I do same with birds. Plenty of homeless parrots out there. Recently a lost soul showed up at the rescue, not sure if I’m ready to take on another yet.
Old November 13th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Banned

Thanks Brother. Every animal we have came from the rescues. Now go bring that bird (or should I say Burd) home. Ha ha.
Old November 13th, 2021, 01:46 PM

This one abused dog video always stays in my mind.

how do you put up a YouTube video
Old November 13th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Banned

Everytime I try and post a YouTube video it doesn't work. I gave up. If you are watching a YouTube video click on the the "share" option. Then you have options to post it here.
Old November 14th, 2021, 03:44 AM

For sure, Dogs are a pleasure. I'm so glad you love your Husky and Momma . I agree rescuing a animal from the pound is a great thing. Wife and I just got a Miniature Labradoodle puppy, which is 180 degrees away from what I would have ever done in the past. But he also is a great dog and sure brings pleasure to my wife and I. Our son raises Miniature Labradoodles and does it correctly- not a puppy mill, though I thoroughly understand the disapproval of breeding new puppies when there are dogs awaiting adoption at pounds around.... Anyway son wanted us to have one and he gave us this little guy...
Old December 7th, 2021, 08:33 PM

Just found this thread. My best bud is in Farmington but bought a purebred female Weimeraner while living in Flagstaff. He then found a male Weimy at the pound. Poor guy had lived in a crate for three years. Didn't even know how to run. Paul took him with him everywhere and Zeus was truly grateful and fully attached to Paul for the rest of his life. Once he figured it out, that dog could run for miles!

Had my share of pound puppy mutts and they are the very best dogs. Congrats on your newest family member.
Old December 7th, 2021, 08:49 PM
Banned

Yeah we love her. I swear she has doubled in height weight etc.

She took me down last Monday. I will call it a hard sprain. Really I think she broke my ankle. She and our other dog were playing at the park. She jumped at Sky. Stepped on her leash and hit me on the inside of my left ankle.

Still love her. She loves her home.

Old December 8th, 2021, 03:35 AM

Sorry to hear of your injury #1. Yep a bigger dog sure can cause some troubles. Hope you heal up soon.
Old December 8th, 2021, 07:58 AM
Banned

It's going to be a long haul. I have had broken bones etc in the past. Whole different ball game as you get older. I am staying off it as much as I can. The boot makes all the difference in the world. Took them for a walk last night for the first time in a week.

Pearl is a great dog. You can still tell she was raised in an abusive situation. She is still standoffish at times. Absolutely loves the dog park and hanging out with other dogs though.
Old December 8th, 2021, 05:04 PM
71 cutlass convertible

This is my damn rescue dog. Had Charlotte for about 4years. She has 3legs but doesn't slow her down. The previous owners were(insert your adjective here so I don't get banned)
As a puppy she had a broken leg that never was treated. When she came into the humane society she was about a year old and the leg needed to be removed. Now you can't slow her down.
Old December 8th, 2021, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lshlsh2

This is my damn rescue dog. Had Charlotte for about 4years. She has 3legs but doesn't slow her down. The previous owners were(insert your adjective here so I don't get banned)
As a puppy she had a broken leg that never was treated. When she came into the humane society she was about a year old and the leg needed to be removed. Now you can't slow her down.
See that right there is what life is all about. Dog says And...
Rescue dogs cats animals etc people... Give an animal love see what you get back....❤️💛🤎🐶
Old December 11th, 2021, 03:37 PM

best dog I have ever had or been around was my Airedale Terrier, Jack. I rescued him from a woman in Carson City Nv. He was still basically a pup, about 1 1/2 yrs. chained up in an area about 10 or 12 feet, circle, small bowl of food and water. grass 1 foot away from where his chain stopped him. The woman was mad at Jack for attacking a pot bellied pig. and told me that if i didn't take him she was going to him put to sleep the next morning. Jack was all tongue and wiggles when i walked over to him. I put him in my car and told the woman that the one that should have been chained up was her. Jack was absolutely my best buddy, always ready for a walk or to play ball and he came to me in a dark period of my life. I had to have him put to sleep because he had a medical condition that could not be fixed and he was basically starving to death even though he had plenty of food. He was not able to get the food to his stomach and was throwing up black bile and when outside would just stand there with his head down. The vet told me there was nothing that could be done and that eventually he would start bleeding and being in pain. Not my buddy!!; I miss him very much and it has been 10yrs. I would love to have him back. I miss you Jack.
Old December 11th, 2021, 05:49 PM
Banned

Peace to you and your dog. Peace to all of our critters that we have had. For all that they have brought into our lives. I heard once that all your animals will be there in Heaven. Boy I better have acres ... Oh wait. Do I get in up there?
Old December 12th, 2021, 04:54 PM

Gentle leader is what you need, it doesn't hurt the dog but ot stops them from pulling and they can't get loose , so no more chasing the pooch. Our golden was a terrible puller until we got the gentle leader. You will be happy.
Old December 14th, 2021, 10:48 PM
Banned

Oh trust me. I learned this dog early. She is the leader of a dog sled team. I never ever think of walking her without her harness and a loose chain. She has learned big time. Super smart dog. Super Super sweet. Curious. It is All new. Shame she was abused before us. Still really won't come to you. I get up and love on her though. We will get there.

As for my ankle. Really wasn't her fault. I walk my dogs 4-7 times a day. They were just playing at the park. Pearl stepped on the slack in her leash. Brought her directly into the inside of my ankle. 80 pound husky went right thru me. I feel better every day. Ankle injury you don't push. I will wear this boot for months. Pain is an emotion. F pain!! Ha ha.
Old December 15th, 2021, 06:33 AM

No1oldsfan, good on your man! we foster litters of puppies, its our family hobby. We have three foster dogs that we have adopted. It's shocking how people can abuse animals.
Pearl is a beauty. Congratulations that you two found each other.

Heal up man, she needs you to go play with.
Old December 19th, 2021, 10:37 AM
Banned

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

Pearl is coming along well. Still not as social to us as a non puppy mill dog but we are patient. It will be five months tomorrow.

Big progress shown last night. I walk them many times a day to park that is a few blocks away. I am responsible dog owner. I clean up their poop. Last night I had both of them in one hand as I cleaned up. Pearl pulled as I went to separate their leashes. Just like that she was free. I called her but she just turned and looked at me then kept going. We were 8-10 blocks away. In my current state there was no way I could even attempt to run. I figured oh well. Go home get in my car and go look for her. Sky and I came around the corner and she was waiting on the porch. I couldn't believe it. So progress made in my book
Old December 19th, 2021, 11:09 AM

Definitely a good sign!

I walk two dogs as well, and I use a small carabiner clip on the leash handle loops to keep the leashes attached to each other. This ensures if I lose hold of the leash, one dog can't run away as the other dog acts as an anchor until I can reclaim the leash. The only way they can get away is if they both go in the same direction together.

Quick Reply: Damn rescue animals anyway