The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Craigslist searching

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Craigslist searching

I know many people on here use Craigslist to look for cars and parts. Anyone ever use "Craiglook"? Craigslist itself is kind of a pain to search because you can only look locality by locality. I couldn't search for, say, all 1967 Oldsmobiles in Ohio at one time. I know there are other craigslist agglomerators out there. I wondered if anyone has ever tried this one or has another one that they like.

http://www.craiglook.com/
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM

I've had good results with www.searchtempest.com
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I know many people on here use Craigslist to look for cars and parts. Anyone ever use "Craiglook"? Craigslist itself is kind of a pain to search because you can only look locality by locality. I couldn't search for, say, all 1967 Oldsmobiles in Ohio at one time. I know there are other craigslist agglomerators out there. I wondered if anyone has ever tried this one or has another one that they like.

The bad news, You just cost me $900.00
The good news!!! you saved me about $500!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Just used it a few days ago and it was much easier looking for cars. Found a 67 Cutlass convertible in NH for $4800 that looked great in the pics but I can't spare the cash now or it would have been mine!
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Won't search the Canadian Craig list. Oh well.

Old February 6th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Tried it nice short cut for cragslist. Thanks Jaunty.
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM

You know, you can use Google to search any website, the entirety of it.

For instance, I'm pricing a 1970 Cutlass. Fastback, buckets, console. I want to check Craigslist. So, I could type:
Code:
1970 Cutlass site:craigslist.org
Or
Code:
1970 Cutlass buckets site:craigslist.org
And if I wanted to search ALL of Canada....
Code:
1970 Cutlass site:craigslist.ca
Or just Toronto:
Code:
1970 Cutlass site:toronto.en.craigslist.ca
You get the idea.
The key is, just type site:craigslist.org at the end. Or, any website. No matter what, make sure you have NO SPACE between the website and the website name. Capitals and www. both make a difference between what you get, for some reason.

--Ryan
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by yzzerdd

For instance, I'm pricing a 1970 Cutlass. Fastback, buckets, console. I want to check Craigslist. So, I could type:
Code:
1970 Cutlass site:craigslist.org
Or
Code:
1970 Cutlass buckets site:craigslist.org
And if I wanted to search ALL of Canada....
Code:
1970 Cutlass site:craigslist.ca
Or just Toronto:
Code:
1970 Cutlass site:toronto.en.craigslist.ca
You get the idea.
The key is, just type site:craigslist.org at the end. Or, any website. No matter what, make sure you have NO SPACE between the website and the website name. Capitals and www. both make a difference between what you get, for some reason.

--Ryan
Yeah already know that, thanks anyway.
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Well, I'm sure everybody here doesn't. As long as one person is helped, then my job is done. I'm not shooting down the original author's post, im just adding to it.

--Ryan
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:27 PM

Well, I'm sure everybody here doesn't. As long as one person is helped, then my job is done. I'm not shooting down the original author's post, im just adding to it.

--Ryan
I didn't know it, but I do now,
Thanks.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Well, I'm sure everybody here doesn't. As long as one person is helped, then my job is done. I'm not shooting down the original author's post, im just adding to it. --Ryan
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:44 AM

I tried this just now. Pretty cool. But I'd a caveat or two. It's not perfect. You do get hits that are not listings on craigslist.com. You get hits anywhere where the word "craigslist" might have been used as well as your search term, such as on classicoldsmobile.com, where someone might have written in a post, say, "has anyone seen this '65 Cutlass posted on craigslist?" If you did a google search on "'65 cutlass:craigslist.com", one of the hits you get would probably be this post.

So, yeah, I'd say that maybe 80% of the hits are what you wanted, which is craigslist postings. Most of the other 20% are postings talking about craigslist postings.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Many of the off the beaten path portals use web bugs or scripts to track your browsing habits ... some read your cookies.

People are finally figuring out how to easily satisfy the Google algorithm, a lot more junk in boolean Google searches now.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:41 PM

I tried this just now. Pretty cool. But I'd a caveat or two. It's not perfect. You do get hits that are not listings on craigslist.com. You get hits anywhere where the word "craigslist" might have been used as well as your search term, such as on classicoldsmobile.com, where someone might have written in a post, say, "has anyone seen this '65 Cutlass posted on craigslist?" If you did a google search on "'65 cutlass:craigslist.com", one of the hits you get would probably be this post.

So, yeah, I'd say that maybe 80% of the hits are what you wanted, which is craigslist postings. Most of the other 20% are postings talking about craigslist postings.
Huh. I personally never had that issue. Are you sure you've got it typed in right? Searching for a 65 Cutlass, you'd type "65 Cutlass site:craigslist.org" instead of "65 cutlass:craigslist.com"

When I searched "65 cutlass:craigslist.com" I got the results you specified. Remember, "site:craigslist.org" is what you want to put at the very end, minus quotations.

The big problem I have with the method I use is that you'll come across alot of expired or removed listings; but, I had that issue with other actual craigslist searching websites other than Google. As a matter of fact, some of the craigslist searching sites USE Google for their search, and display it on their own website.

--Ryan
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Are you sure you've got it typed in right?
You're right. I didn't have the "site" in there, just a colon and "craigslist.org." It does work as you say when I do it right! Very useful.
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Craigslist "Pro"

If you have an iphone there is an application called Craigslist Pro. You can search multiple locations at the same time. Maybe you can get the same app with other cell phones?
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM

--Ryan
I'm sorry yzzerdd didn't mean anything by it. Yes think you for helping.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM

searchallcraigs.com It can even be broken down to southwest, northeast, etc
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:41 AM
"me somebody" site member

Double plus good on the searchallcraigs.com suggestion; I beleive it is in fact google driven. I will have to check out craiglook.
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM

I like this one:http://www.allofcraigs.com/?cof=FORI...dr=a&sa=Search

You can customize search by time, state, etc.