The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Craftsman riding mower experts in readerland???

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2021, 04:34 PM

Craftsman riding mower experts in readerland???

Anyone know if this part of my mower deck available separately? It unbolts, is it part of the mulching grass conversion? And if it’s part of the mulching conversion is it needed?

It’s a 46 inch mower deck on a 15 year old craftsman mower

this part either came loose or broke off, tearing up a fairly new mower blade. Always something!!!

Last edited by matt69olds; May 1st, 2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old May 1st, 2021, 05:59 PM
72 Olds CS

You can look up the exploded diagrams for your Mower at

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/sa/lawn-mower-parts
Old May 2nd, 2021, 06:39 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

If it is part of the "mulch kit", it may not be available separately. As you probably know, most of the US mower brands including Craftsman are made by MTD. Try using the mower without that piece. If you then deem it necessary, contact the above mentioned "sears parts direct". If they can not help, try MTD.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 12:03 PM

That almost looks like a Hi-Vac wing some brands use to toss the stuff UP for bagging, maybe mulching too. Like said, see results without. You may need to take off the other side's one for blade balance.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 01:16 PM
Lansing built

Grab your model #. Sears likes to use 917.XXXXX for their model number on lawn tractors. Sears has had many manufacturers make their units, mainly AYP, some MTD and even stripped down versions of Simplicity.

Pat
Old May 2nd, 2021, 04:06 PM

The part number does start with a 917 number. I do know it’s identical to a Husqavarana mower.

There is only one of the guards or deflectors on the mower deck. There is no mention of whatever this part is in the owners manual.

I’ll get a replacement blade and try it. Just kinda curious what it is and what it’s purpose is.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 02:37 AM
Lansing built

Husqvarna is built by AYP. No surprise there.

Pat
Old May 3rd, 2021, 04:53 AM

I have a old Craftsman rider that has been retired twice. I can't tell for sure but that piece looks like what I took off my deck. Mine is used now as a brush hog and you wouldn't believe what it goes thru. Anyway as pieces got loose I just took them off and it didn't seem to make a difference in how it cut. Bearings and stuff like that are available on line for really cheap. I just go to sears direct and get a #, then search for that # on Amazon or ebay. Funny to see this thread on CO, I was just looking about trying to see if I can get my failing hydrostatic drive to work better, I think I could add oil and it would work better but some say there is no way to add oil, that it is a throw away unit and it costs more for a hydrostatic transmission that the old mower is worth. Any of you guys messed with that?
Old May 3rd, 2021, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1970cs
Husqvarna is built by AYP. No surprise there.

Pat
What does AYP mean? Never heard of that.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:12 AM
Oldsdruid

American Yard Products. They and MTD make the vast majority of small push mowers and lawn tractors in USA.

My Craftsman is starting its 11th mowing season. Cuts 2-1/2 acres every week and has been utterly dependable. Had to replace a drag link last year is only non-routine maintenance it's ever required. Natcherly that happened halfway thru the job with tall thick grass from a week of rain, and took another week to get the part. I needed a goat!🐐

I've used Briggs OE spark plugs, oil and filters since new (cheaper as B&S than as Craftsman with same Briggs p/n WTF).

The old Craftsman it replaced gave me 15 years. When I finally retired it, it had slime in all four tires, a massive crank seal leak, a beat-up deck and a blade spindle that was seizing. When the transaxle locked up in 3d gear I knew I had gotten my money's worth.

Hydro. I don't like them for two reasons. 1) I tend to travel a little faster with them meaning I sometimes don't get a good cut. 2) they're great when they're working but when they don't, $$$$. Might as well replace the mower esp if many hours on it. DK if you can even get a transaxle mower any more.

My next will probably be a 48 to 54" zero turn. Lot of people around here incl pro lawn services have Hustlers and love them. Good dealer support too. Husqvarna ZT are good too.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 3rd, 2021 at 04:00 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 12:01 PM
Oldsdruid

That old 95 Craftsman found a new life. Local shopper paper had an "item wanted" ad in spring 2011 for an 11 year old boy wanted an old riding mower, running or not, to tinker with and learn to work on. It was perfect for that. Kid and his parents came to look at it and I gave him the mower and manuals. Kid repaired the mower and makes extra college money fixing and selling them. He's 21 now and went with me to that Rotary Club show Saturday. His dream is a 69 Barracuda Formula S fastback.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 12:58 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That old 95 Craftsman found a new life. Local shopper paper had an "item wanted" ad in spring 2011 for an 11 year old boy wanted an old riding mower, running or not, to tinker with and learn to work on. It was perfect for that. Kid and his parents came to look at it and I gave him the mower and manuals. Kid repaired the mower and makes extra college money fixing and selling them. He's 21 now and went with me to that Rotary Club show Saturday. His dream is a 69 Barracuda Formula S fastback.
BAM. I'm debating trying to fix my Husq push mower, or letting my boys tear it down.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 04:14 PM
Oldsdruid

Download the manuals and turn 'em loose on it. Small engine mechanics are always in demand so let 'em get started early.

One of my oldest friends started on lawnmowers in his dad's shop at age 11 and worked there off and on thru high school. I have an MTD yard blower with a cast-iron Briggs engine that smokes badly. He drools over it every time he sees it.

He also worked part time at a jeweler's and got scolded for having grease under his fingernails while showing diamond rings...
Old May 4th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Download the manuals and turn 'em loose on it. Small engine mechanics are always in demand so let 'em get started early.

One of my oldest friends started on lawnmowers in his dad's shop at age 11 and worked there off and on thru high school. I have an MTD yard blower with a cast-iron Briggs engine that smokes badly. He drools over it every time he sees it.

He also worked part time at a jeweler's and got scolded for having grease under his fingernails while showing diamond rings...
It never hurts to have a basic understanding of a small engine, either. When I had first picked it up from the side of the road for free, the boys were both disappointed that we got it running so easily. I had them take the carb off and put it back on (I did the cleaning), but they really wanted to tear it apart. 5 years later, I'm not so sure they are still interested, but it will give them something to do in 6 weeks once school is out.

Maybe I'll get lucky, and one or both of them find it interesting enough that they'll want to start looking for cheap non-running jetskis to rebuild. A dad can dream, right?
Old May 5th, 2021, 04:05 AM

Jeff, you can find cheap or free jet skis around here, just be aware they are expensive to get rid of, cuz they're mostly fiberglass or plastic, negative scrap value... I've seen 'em for free, but usually cost to fix blown up 2strokes too much.
I found out that there was a plug to add oil to my craftsman mower transaxle, so I did it. We'll see how it does next time I mow
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Jeff, you can find cheap or free jet skis around here, just be aware they are expensive to get rid of, cuz they're mostly fiberglass or plastic, negative scrap value... I've seen 'em for free, but usually cost to fix blown up 2strokes too much.
I have a pair of skis already, one is in the shop to complete the rebuild on the motor. The jetski world has lost their minds on prices the past two years, rough skis are going for triple / quadruple what they should sell for. Two strokes would be best to pick up free/cheap, because they are much easier to rebuild and cheaper. Just need to start with a good base, which is a hull that isn't beat to heck, and a motor that isn't full of rust.

And now I have managed to take the original topic and toss it into the weeds. Sorry Matt!
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I found out that there was a plug to add oil to my craftsman mower transaxle, so I did it. We'll see how it does next time I mow
Greg, where is this plug and how easy to access? Guessing you can get to it by removing the battery box (my battery is under the seat)?

Can't find my durn manuals. What oil does it call for? Mine shifts fine but I've noticed some seepage on the right side axle shaft...

*edit* just remembered yours is hydrostatic so my x-axle ?? may not apply. Cousin had a 70s Cub Cadet that he had to fill the toruses on every time he mowed, and put up with that nonsense for 5 years... not me, oh hell no. "But it cuts good" he says 🙄. It had a dealer sticker from Novi MI on it. How that ratty thing made it to southern Vajenya I do not know.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 5th, 2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Yeah it was right under the battery box. I added regular old tractor hydraulic old cuz that was my best guess not sure?? I don't think it was low anyway, well can't hurt, I guess. We'll see how it is next time I mow.
Old May 6th, 2021, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
BAM. I'm debating trying to fix my Husq push mower, or letting my boys tear it down.
One of the many things that they don't teach in schools anymore. I remember in the early 80's taking "Small Engine Repair" as a class in high school. It was right after metal shop. Each kid brought in an old non running push mower engine, tore it down, learned what we could and tried to fix it.

Slight sidebar here. I just realized that I took that engine to school on the bus and no one even batted an eye, or thought it was weird. I don't think that could happen now.
Old May 6th, 2021, 05:17 AM

Well, after far more effort than it’s probably worth, I decided to try the mower without that guard. I have called several shops that deal with lawn equipment, nobody has a clue what it’s for or even called. I got the mower blade and deck reinstalled yesterday and tried it out. It seems to work exactly as it did before.

Im sure the part is there for a reason. I guess as long as it works that’s all that matters. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:10 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Well, after far more effort than it’s probably worth, I decided to try the mower without that guard. I have called several shops that deal with lawn equipment, nobody has a clue what it’s for or even called. I got the mower blade and deck reinstalled yesterday and tried it out. It seems to work exactly as it did before.

Im sure the part is there for a reason. I guess as long as it works that’s all that matters. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!
You never stated whether or not this mower has always been yours. If it was in other hands at some point, maybe someone added it on because they thought it would help mulch better?

I ask because my sister received a free Cub Cadet rider years ago. I had to go over to her house one day to help get it unstuck in the yard (clay was very wet that day), but I found some odd parts on the deck that looked dangerous. As in, it could get loose and puncture the rear tires, or worse, cause the deck to twist and bind, which we know could be bad news with rapidly spinning blades. Anyway, it was determined that her idiot ex-boyfriend had cobbled these two chunks of metal onto the deck so that he could attach a string or long piece of metal across the back width of the deck, so he could "stripe" the yard. I wish I still had the pictures of this exercise in stupidity. He didn't even bother to use lock nuts. Of course, my sister didn't have any tools with which to remove said dumb(bleep)ery, so I had to drive back home to grab mine, 45 min round trip.

If it doesn't show up in the diagram, chances are very good that someone added it.
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:58 AM

I bought it new, nobody has messed with it. Everyone says they can see it in the diagram, but no part number or description of what it is.
Old May 12th, 2021, 05:19 AM

Things finally dried out enough to mow the grass. The mower worked fine without that metal plate. I’m a bit surprised to report the mower seems to work better without it, it seems to not throw as much grass out of the discharge chute, almost like the grass is getting cut into finer particles. There are spots in my lawn that the grass grows much faster and thicker, I use to have to go over those spots multiple times in different directions to avoid big piles of dead grass.
Old May 12th, 2021, 08:39 AM
Banned

Glad to hear it all worked out. Lawnmowers can be a pain in the A.

I broke my 87 year old Dad's out a few weeks ago. Hadn't been ran in at least a few years. Flushed the tank and added new fuel. Took a few pulls but runs like a top. Bizarre how there is no throttle anymore. Must be a safety (idiot proof) thing.

Old May 12th, 2021, 09:21 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Things finally dried out enough to mow the grass. The mower worked fine without that metal plate. I’m a bit surprised to report the mower seems to work better without it, it seems to not throw as much grass out of the discharge chute, almost like the grass is getting cut into finer particles. There are spots in my lawn that the grass grows much faster and thicker, I use to have to go over those spots multiple times in different directions to avoid big piles of dead grass.
All that plate was serving to do was to load up / clog the deck with clippings. I suppose if you were mowing a couple of times a week and only buzzing an inch or so off the blades of grass, it would function well to help mulch. But in real-world mowing conditions, where you're likely taking 2-3" off when your busy schedule allows you to mow, it's-a not so good!
Old May 12th, 2021, 11:53 AM

I assume since the plate bolted in, and could be easily removed, it’s purpose was determined by other factors (type of blades, with/without a bagger, etc) but no mention anywhere on the owners manual, and repair shops could find no part number for it.

This time of year in central Indiana the mowing schedule isn’t determined by grass height as much as how dry the ground is. Right now, I could easily mow 2-3 times a week. Later in the year I can probably go 2-3 weeks between mowing.
Old May 12th, 2021, 02:31 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Glad to hear it all worked out. Lawnmowers can be a pain in the A.

I broke my 87 year old Dad's out a few weeks ago. Hadn't been ran in at least a few years. Flushed the tank and added new fuel. Took a few pulls but runs like a top. Bizarre how there is no throttle anymore. Must be a safety (idiot proof) thing.
Nope. Emissions. Set it to run at one speed and lean that out as far as possible and it still run. Not sure newer machines even have a governor on them.

The people who love things like that either have no yard or hire a lawn service. If they neither own a lawnmower nor mow it themselves they don't have to harbor any personal guilt about burning fossil fuel.

Nincompoops.