The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Christmas Trees

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2020, 07:16 PM

Christmas Trees

I always said, Go big or go home! On anything I do. People who walk in the door. ''That's bigger than the tree in the mall!'' Yes it was like National Lampoon Christmas Vacation, when I cut the netting around the tree.

Old December 5th, 2020, 07:21 PM
Running On Empty

Nice!
Old December 6th, 2020, 06:31 AM

Awesome!!!
Old December 6th, 2020, 06:56 AM

Wow! Is that your home, or your 'Weekend Cabin'......
Old December 6th, 2020, 09:49 AM

That is fantastic. Nothing beats the smell of a fresh tree. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
tc
Old December 7th, 2020, 07:13 AM

I like thee tree and I live in a world of them but your wood work is awesome.... Tedd
Old December 7th, 2020, 07:24 AM
Bfg

That’s a very nice Holiday Tree!
Old December 9th, 2020, 08:43 AM

The tree looks great !!
Over the years we have done the Christmas tree many different ways, solid all white lights, multi-colored lights, all Bi-Chromatic ornaments (red and silver ) multi colored ornaments. When the kids were young several times we put in for a permit and went to northern AZ. and cut down our own tree. we also have a fake tree that looks pretty good if your willing to spend the time to form all the branches to make it look full
(pain in the ****) for the past several years it has been a live tree, multi colored lights and many different kinds of ornaments including a lot of hand made ornaments and family heirloom ornaments (that's my favorite)
Now all that being said have you seen the price of live trees !! not to long ago even the Grocery stores got in on the act Albertsons,Kroger
You could buy a 6 foot Douglas fir for $15.99-$19.99 Target sold trees for about the same price of course the price for a larger Nobel fir or Balsam was higher and so on,
Enter 2020 seems the only source at least around here is the over priced temporary Christmas tree lots, a handful of nursery's or the home improvement stores Home Depot or Lowes and a 5-6 foot Douglass fir is $39.99 !!!
Probably going to be a live tree this year my wife likes the smell , and except for the shedding pine needles the clean up is easier , drag it out the front door on the roof of the Jeep and to the Christmas recycle bin at the end of the block. I don't want to be Grinch or Scrooge but if ya want a nice live tree You gunna pay !!
Old December 9th, 2020, 08:46 AM
Bfg

I keep my receipt and return it after Christmas,
Old December 9th, 2020, 09:34 AM

why not get a live one and plant it after Christmas
Old December 9th, 2020, 09:49 AM
Bfg

It was live but killed when they cut it down. I used to return all my kids presents after Christmas too, seemed they enjoyed playing with the boxes more than the toys.
Old December 9th, 2020, 10:05 AM

The whole story, My old home in West Virginia around 2006.
The tree on the right was 28 feet tall at the tree farm. I had the guy cut about 7 feet off the bottom. Its was a $9 tree. Because it had grown so tall, he was going to wood chip it. The cheapest Xmas tree I ever bought. I have paid a lot more before.

After weeks of looking for the right tree. Yes, I am that ****. The tree farmer drove me around the farm on a 4 wheel. Not finding what I was looking for. I was about to leave. From across his lake was this tree. Ask me if I wanted to look at it first. Told him at $9, I will just take it. As he pull the tree up to the netting machine, It was huge. I had him cut the lower 1/4 off. Had to remove all the reducers to the machine to power winch this one through. It barely went through.

Luckily more people showed up to buy trees. Shocked at the size of the tree and asking me all kinds of question.. They all helped me walk alongside my Nissan trunk. Lifting onto the pipe rack.

Got it home, my girlfriend looked at me, like I was crazy her daughter said WOW. Pull the tree off the side of the truck. Drag it barely through the front door to the back door on a diagonal. Had a x x large tree stand already. Laid the bottom of the trunk on the stand. Tied a rope near the top. I lifted the tree as my girl pull up on the rope from the second floor. And her daughter slid the stand along the floor. Up it went. Tried up around the beam and locked down in stand.

Cut the netting off. It was National Lampoon Christmas Vacation tree. Could not walk around it. Took up most of the living room. Cut it around back to push it into the corner of the staircase. So we could walk around it. Lucky I had 12 & 14 foot ladders to decorate. All my life I loved tall ones. And have always been disappointed in 8 feet ceiling in homes. Being from NYC, I was hooked after seeing the ones at Rockefeller Center ones as a child.