The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Blasphemy!!

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Blasphemy!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Nice car...but FOMOCO drivetrain of all things???
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:46 PM

what the hell, why would you do that?
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Should go on top of the bogus Ambulance - IN THE CRUSHER!!!!
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:16 PM
" Hoo yah "

I believe there are too many people in America smoking crack! Wowzers!
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM

smokin crack is right. what a turd too wreck a good car.
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:13 PM

Should have put a GM LS engine in it.

If it was a modern 5.0L Ford engine with 412hp it would run like a raped ape too.
Too bad it's only the regular weak 5.0L from the Fox Bodies.
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:55 AM

weak 5.0 sure . .
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Oldsdruid

There goes another fool yapping about updated drivetrain for reliability and how you won't get stranded on the side of the road.

Hate to tell ya junior- if this thing breaks, unless you know EXACTLY what's in that drivetrain, you're gonna be as screwed as a stripped out bolt trying to tell the mechanic what's wrong with it and what to get parts for. And I can about promise you that documentation doesn't come with the car.

Texas plates on a car in NC raises some red flags too. No telling who did the changeover or where. Shame, because it really is a decent 55.

I just don't get this reliability ****. People drove these cars thousands of miles as daily transportation when they were contemporary, and even though there was more frequent maintenance, the cars took their owners everywhere they needed to go ON THEIR ORIGINAL DRIVETRAINS.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:01 AM

I like it..... Sure, I would prefer an Olds engine but maybe he had the 5.0 already or who knows. Those motors are really cheap and run great. Cost may have been a major factor in using the Ford. Anyways, it is tastefully done. No 22's or wild colors, Lambo doors etc.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I just don't get this reliability ****.

even though there was more frequent maintenance, ON THEIR ORIGINAL DRIVETRAINS
You just answered your own question.

If you think classic drivetrains are more reliable then modern SFI, serpentine, hydraulic roller, overdrive drivetrains are.....
If you truly believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 25th, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Oldsdruid

Aces, we're talking routine maintenance like tuneups, oil changes, grease jobs, which all had to be performed every so often and were accepted as part of owning, maintaining and driving an automobile- as opposed to people now who couldn't change a spark plug or even do an oil change if there were a .45 stuck to their temple and are too damn lazy to even attempt it. God help anyone who turns the key and the car won't start.

I do believe the original drivetrains are just as reliable as this computer-managed crap installed now, and a simple fix would usually get you home without hooking the car up to an electronic scan tool. If they weren't, explain how people got where they needed to go back in the day. My old-tech cars have never failed to start or get me home. I can't say that for the modern high-tech vehicles I've owned. A car doesn't strand my *** 350 miles from home and get away with it.

I have about 50 acres of prime desert swampland I'll trade you even for yer fockin bridge. Deal? Your trouble, my friend, is that you mistake technology for progress.

Last edited by rocketraider; January 25th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Aces, we're talking routine maintenance like tuneups, oil changes, grease jobs, which all had to be performed every so often and were accepted as part of owning, maintaining and driving an automobile- as opposed to people now who couldn't change a spark plug or even do an oil change if there were a .45 stuck to their temple and are too damn lazy to even attempt it. God help anyone who turns the key and the car won't start.
I wouldn't say it's laziness ....I think it's just much harder to do these days. The era of the shade tree mechanic with a wrench and grease are over. These modern computer controlled engines are hard to even get to the spark plugs in some. You need a OBDII computer to give you some details on what's going on in most, and I heard that's changed again now for 2010 or 2011.

So they are more reliable, but on the flipside, they're just not as simple to fix anymore on the side of the road. Double edged sword.

I have about 50 acres of prime desert swampland I'll trade you even for yer fockin bridge. Deal? Your trouble, my friend, is that you mistake technology for progress.
Don't like swamps.
Well I guess I do consider technology advancements in SOME areas, and a leash in others.

It depends on how we're tackling the topic from.
I work in the main cable feed for the Chicago market.
So while I've seen internet grow in leaps and bounds and digital video take over.
I've also seen Analog decline, and now you need a cable box for each TV. $$$
So with every advancement, there does seem to be a leash of some kind.

Much more information sharing access faster and easier.
Flipside, you can be tracked whatever you search, send, document, etc.

Technology has dramatically changed how easy we can shop a smorgasborg of good fresh foods.
Flipside is, we're all retards when it comes to living off the land now.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 25th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.