The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Big, fat, nasty sammitches

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2021, 09:33 PM
Oldsdruid

Big, fat, nasty sammitches

Cooking Channel has a series "Best Sandwich in America" and I've wasted a few hours tonight watching it.

Right now it's in Chicago and they're doing Italian Beef. Gawd it's made me hungry and I have nothing on hand that comes anywhere close. Not even a pack of deli roast beef or a jar of giardiniera.

My cousin had a long-term guest at her B&B who became more like family than a guest, and Robin would cook for us about once a week. Italian Beef sammitches was one of her many delicious meals. She didn't visit during 2020 and not sure about this year, but she was someone who, after spending half an hour with her, you felt you'd known your whole life.

I gotta turn this tv off...
Old July 9th, 2021, 09:56 PM

Yeah, I got fat again with blowing my feet out in Aug 18 doing an ultramarathon, then worked 900 hours OT in 2019 so no running here, and I've been eating more. On topic, I broke down and ate the Jimmy Johns Gargantuan a couple weeks ago. Haven't had one of those in 15 years, usually go with smaller J&J stuff.
Old July 9th, 2021, 11:23 PM

Lived in Chicago most of my life until moving to AZ. in the mid 80's the Chicago area is great eating town and no doubt one of the great things about it is the number of mom and pop small eatery's and sandwich shops where Italian beef and Italian sausage sandwiches are king !!!! (they almost all use Vienna meat products)
When I first moved to AZ. it was damn near impossible to find he above mentioned sandwiches but they are starting to pop up here.
Now you will have to trust me on this if you get the craving for a Italian sausage (instead of beef)try this it doesn't get much easier !!! find a quality Italian
sausage, butcher, Costco, Johnsonville etc.. I prefer the hot Italian, slice up some green peppers and onion put half the green peppers and onion on the bottom of a crock pot just a tiny bit of water maybe 1/4 cup put in your sausage and cover with the remainder of the onions and peppers NO OTHER INGREDIANTS that's it ! cook on low for about 5 -6 hours !! the sausage will start to cook down in its own spices and the peppers and onions will cook in that juice, the sausage will be very , very tender. you could eat them like that out of the juice or discard the juice retaining the peppers and onions of course and throw in a jar of your favorite pizza sauce . I like to throw them on to some store bought garlic bread with the pizza sauce & melt a little Moz cheese on them OMG !! that should get ya through your craving !! like I said you have to trust me on this you may never eat Italian sausage any other way again !!
P/S keep a eye on the liquid but I'm sure you will find the juice in the sausage will provide enough , also use more pepper and sliced onion than you thank you need they cook down a lot . try it !!!! also I dont know if you have Safeway by you but they carry Vienna brand condiments giardiniera., neon green Chicago hot dog relish and we all know the really good giardiniera. comes packed in oil not water.

Last edited by solly; July 9th, 2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old July 10th, 2021, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by solly
Lived in Chicago most of my life until moving to AZ. in the mid 80's the Chicago area is great eating town and no doubt one of the great things about it is the number of mom and pop small eatery's and sandwich shops where Italian beef and Italian sausage sandwiches are king !!!! (they almost all use Vienna meat products)
When I first moved to AZ. it was damn near impossible to find he above mentioned sandwiches but they are starting to pop up here.
Now you will have to trust me on this if you get the craving for a Italian sausage (instead of beef)try this it doesn't get much easier !!! find a quality Italian
sausage, butcher, Costco, Johnsonville etc.. I prefer the hot Italian, slice up some green peppers and onion put half the green peppers and onion on the bottom of a crock pot just a tiny bit of water maybe 1/4 cup put in your sausage and cover with the remainder of the onions and peppers NO OTHER INGREDIANTS that's it ! cook on low for about 5 -6 hours !! the sausage will start to cook down in its own spices and the peppers and onions will cook in that juice, the sausage will be very , very tender. you could eat them like that out of the juice or discard the juice retaining the peppers and onions of course and throw in a jar of your favorite pizza sauce . I like to throw them on to some store bought garlic bread with the pizza sauce & melt a little Moz cheese on them OMG !! that should get ya through your craving !! like I said you have to trust me on this you may never eat Italian sausage any other way again !!
P/S keep a eye on the liquid but I'm sure you will find the juice in the sausage will provide enough , also use more pepper and sliced onion than you thank you need they cook down a lot . try it !!!! also I dont know if you have Safeway by you but they carry Vienna brand condiments giardiniera., neon green Chicago hot dog relish and we all know the really good giardiniera. comes packed in oil not water.
My shop is a couple blocks from Luke's in Phx. They are cousins to the old Dukes 80th and Harlem. Great sausage, beef and giardiniera. It's nice that Portillos has 4 lo ccx ations in the valley. Where ever I'm working I'm close to one.
Old July 10th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Oldsdruid

Closest Jimmy John's is 45 miles away so I doubt freaky fast applies!

There are two Jersey Mike's within 20 miles of me and I like those a lot for cold subs. Subway? Meh. We have a Firehouse Subs which I haven't tried because it shares a common dining area with a Starbucks and you can't get in there for the snotty hipster kids.

Two local owned jernts are very good but neither has reopened inside dining and I flat refuse to sit in a drive thru line. One of them makes an Italian sausage like you describe with grilled peppers n onions and red "soss". Add a little hot cherry pepper spread and hot damn!

A brother and sister run that one. When their parents ran it, they had both hot and mild Italian as well as gyros. The siblings dropped the gyros and the hot. But still a good sammitch.

Tough to find a GOOD gyro here too. Arby's has them, but... There's a Mediterranean place that makes one right but being 25 miles away that's a special occasion treat.

And it's like I told my Pontiac bud a couple weeks ago- living where we do, it's damn near criminal that we have to drive 50 miles to find decent pork barbecue. It IS North Carolina after all.
Old July 10th, 2021, 07:47 AM

When I was stationed at NAS Willow Grove PA, we would get true Hoagie sandwiches at a small deli in Hatboro PA. Since getting out of the Navy and moving back to Texas, I have never found any place here that can duplicate the taste.
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:19 AM

Firehouse is expensive but good. Start with the Hook and Ladder. Fully involved.
Old July 10th, 2021, 12:07 PM

I really like JJ's Cubano but there is a little Italian grocery by me that uses all Boars Head meats and cheeses and they make a great sandwich for between $3.99 and $5.99 with daily specials and Wednesday is a great beef and gravy sandwich served open face. I also live close to St. Louis and there are some legendary eateries there that make great sandwiches. Amigetti's is one and I'd be remiss If I didn't mention Favazza's "the Rose of the Hill:".
Old July 10th, 2021, 12:19 PM

https://www.henrisbakery.com/deli

My favorite place. I've been eating there sandwich since the 50 cent Cuban got it's name changed to Po Boy [now 7 bucks] in 1959 when Castro took over
Old July 10th, 2021, 01:25 PM

big fat nasty samich

All regions have their favorite foods, Phillie, cheese steak sandwiches' love them !! L.A. you name it monster size great burrito's ETC...
St Louis and K.C. barbeque !!
I grew up in the Chicago area and loved Chicago dogs NO KETCHUP PLEASE, pizza and my favorite was Italian sausage and Italian beef sandwiches with sweet peppers and onions, and there were no shortage of mom and pop joints to serve them up. I have been able to ferret out a few places in AZ with some decent sandwiches however the problem is usually skimpy portions (the Mexican restaurants here are the exception rarely do they cheat you on portion size) most the mom and pop places I remember in the Chicago area you never left hungry.
I'm sitting at home the other day when my B-I-L text me from Tinley Park Il. a suburb of Chicago and says Hey I just came back from Rubino's
a little Italian deli got a little snack, a Italian sausage sandwich with sweet peppers and onions, now take a good look at this sandwich YES THATS 3 SAUSAGE LINKS ON THAT BABY that's not a special order that's a regular order comes with a bag of chips, $5.99 !! I was there a few years ago and had one I cut it in half and ate for two days !! now that's hard to beat.
I thanked my B_I_L for making my mouth water .
Old July 10th, 2021, 02:12 PM
Oldsdruid

Solly- why you show us things like that, knowing most of us too far away to get one?☹
Old July 10th, 2021, 02:21 PM
Banned

Wait there are two sandwich threads?...
Old July 10th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

Chicago dogs NO KETCHUP PLEASE and my favorite was Italian beef sandwiches with sweet peppers and onions
There is one Chicago dog and only one - the Chicago Vienna Red Hot. Putting ketchup on a hot dog is the same as holding a sign which reads "Bitch Slap Me!"
I'll see your sausage link sameech (which looks delicious) & raise you one (homemade, of course) Italian Beef.

Old July 10th, 2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Solly- why you show us things like that, knowing most of us too far away to get one?☹
I'm trying to encourage travel and gastro over indulgence. In my retirement I'm starting to grow and I dont want to be the only one http://www.rubinositalianimports.com/menu.html
Old July 10th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
There is one Chicago dog and only one - the Chicago Vienna Red Hot. Putting ketchup on a hot dog is the same as holding a sign which reads "Bitch Slap Me!"
I'll see your sausage link sameech (which looks delicious) & raise you one (homemade, of course) Italian Beef.
You are 100% correct on the Ketchup, some people cant resist doing it but just don't get caught it could lead to severe consequences.
and yes for me drag that Chicago dog thru the garden !!!
That Italian beef looks outstanding !! I'm in !! here is the recipe I use when I get the Italian beef craving I'll bet it's similar to yours. this is killing me now I'm starving !!!https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...ef-sandwiches/

Last edited by solly; July 10th, 2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old July 10th, 2021, 02:47 PM
Oldsdruid

There's a hole in the wall Cuban and Peruvian restaurant here that's in the middle of relocating. Looking forward to a Cuban sandwich when they reopen.

I'm friends with a Cuban expatriate couple and they make outstanding Cubans along with real Mojo sauce. A dinner invite to Felix and Daisy's is always highly anticipated! They came to US as children in late 60s.
Old July 10th, 2021, 03:04 PM
Banned

I am so confused. Why are there two sandwich threads?
Old July 10th, 2021, 05:39 PM

I'm a little shocked no one has mentioned Primainti bros in Pittsburg
Old July 10th, 2021, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I am so confused. Why are there two sandwich threads?
Not sure it may have been my fault , when I added a title to my post it may have opened a second thread. sorry.
Now two threads to make you hungry !!
Old July 10th, 2021, 06:18 PM
Oldsdruid

Since the last time we talked red hots, Star's has apparently started making them again. Piggly Wiggly has both Star's and Bright Leaf brand red hots and it's a toss up which is best.

The Pig also has NC-made Bright Leaf hot dogs. Used to think no one could beat a Jesse Jones Southern Style but Bright Leaf is all over top of 'em. These are proper RED hot dogs- the kind you put on a toasted bun and dress it up with mustard, chili, onions and coleslaw. Mayonnaise or vinegar slaw is appropriate long as it's shredded coarse and not watery- which most commercially prepared slaw is😖.

Brown hotdogs are OK if you can't do any better, but red is the stuff of Southern dreams.
Old July 10th, 2021, 06:28 PM

Cooking Channel has a series "Best Sandwich in America" and I've wasted a few hours tonight watching it.

Right now it's in Chicago and they're doing Italian Beef. Gawd it's made me hungry and I have nothing on hand that comes anywhere close. Not even a pack of deli roast beef or a jar of giardiniera.

My cousin had a long-term guest at her B&B who became more like family than a guest, and Robin would cook for us about once a week. Italian Beef sammitches was one of her many delicious meals. She didn't visit during 2020 and not sure about this year, but she was someone who, after spending half an hour with her, you felt you'd known your whole life.

I gotta turn this tv off...
Portillios does mail order!
Old July 10th, 2021, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Not sure it may have been my fault , when I added a title to my post it may have opened a second thread. sorry.
Now two threads to make you hungry !!
I went ahead and combined the 2 threads. One of the things I miss from the east coast is the food, Italian Food, greasy Neopolitan New York style pizza, Chinese Food, Jewish Deli's, real bakeries, and a Knish.
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:04 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by jamesbo
i'm a little shocked no one has mentioned primainti bros in pittsburg
😍😋
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:09 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by PatL
Portillios does mail order!
😄

I can imagine what USPS would do to it on the way to Vajenya!
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I went ahead and combined the 2 threads. One of the things I miss from the east coast is the food, Italian Food, greasy Neopolitan New York style pizza, Chinese Food, Jewish Deli's, real bakeries, and a Knish.
Watched a very interesting documentary not to long ago about the decline of deli's (mostly Jewish deli's) in N.Y. and nation wide.
3 things contributing to the decline 1. family members (sons/daughters ) not interested in the family business 2. competition from sandwich shop chains 3.the price of quality ingredients required to put a quality product on the table especially meats, the owners claiming they would have to charge $13- $15 for a sandwich and that's just to high for the average cust. even the loyal ones. pretty sad nothing like a good meal at a Jewish, Polish or Italian deli !!! nothing beats a good Ruben from a good deli !!

Last edited by solly; July 10th, 2021 at 08:14 PM.
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:44 PM

Old July 10th, 2021, 09:35 PM
Banned

I went to a Jersey Mike's out here and will never go again. Way over priced. The amount of meat was an absolute joke. I even commented on it. Oh sir we weigh every portion. No thanks.

​​​​​​AND thank you all for making me so hungry. My girl was a professional chef so I eat plenty good sitting at home.
Old July 10th, 2021, 10:08 PM
Running On Empty

Since the last time we talked red hots, Star's has apparently started making them again. Piggly Wiggly has both Star's and Bright Leaf brand red hots and it's a toss up which is best.

The Pig also has NC-made Bright Leaf hot dogs. Used to think no one could beat a Jesse Jones Southern Style but Bright Leaf is all over top of 'em. These are proper RED hot dogs- the kind you put on a toasted bun and dress it up with mustard, chili, onions and coleslaw. Mayonnaise or vinegar slaw is appropriate long as it's shredded coarse and not watery- which most commercially prepared slaw is😖.

Brown hotdogs are OK if you can't do any better, but red is the stuff of Southern dreams.
I have seen both Star's & Bright Leaf @ The Pig here in my town for quite some time. I'm always hesitant to try meat I've never heard anyone make a comment about. I always by Kosher simply because I know the product and trust it. However, you're the first person I know who has commented on Bright Leaf. I think I may need to evaluate Bright Leaf since I really prefer a red hot to any other hot dog. Thanks for the comment(s).
Old July 10th, 2021, 10:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I went to a Jersey Mike's out here and will never go again. Way over priced. The amount of meat was an absolute joke. I even commented on it. Oh sir we weigh every portion. No thanks.

​​​​​​AND thank you all for making me so hungry. My girl was a professional chef so I eat plenty good sitting at home.
I'm not certain what's up with Jersey Mike's. I like Jersey Mike's subs, but something seems amiss with their stores. The one store five miles from my house is run like some corporate bean counter similar to your comment regarding weight portions and their attitude(s) are way over-the-top regarding the manner in which they conduct business - I've felt like I was ordering a corporate jet rather than a sandwich. On the other hand, the Jersey Mike's 20 miles from me operates completely differently - more like a delicatessen. I imagine you can own a Jersey Mike's franchise and each store can decide how they run it? I know from other Jersey Mike's stores I've been to they each appear to have their own personality.
Old July 10th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm not certain what's up with Jersey Mike's. I like Jersey Mike's subs, but something seems amiss with their stores. The one store five miles from my house is run like some corporate bean counter similar to your comment regarding weight portions and their attitude(s) are way over-the-top regarding the manner in which they conduct business - I've felt like I was ordering a corporate jet rather than a sandwich. On the other hand, the Jersey Mike's 20 miles from me operates completely differently - more like a delicatessen. I imagine you can own a Jersey Mike's franchise and each store can decide how they run it? I know from other Jersey Mike's stores I've been to they each appear to have their own personality.
I live by a college out here. Denver University. DU is one of the most expensive colleges in Colorado. This Jersey Mike's was basically right across the street. Maybe that is why. Taking advantage of the young rich kids. They closed up during covid times once all the kids weren't in school.
Old July 11th, 2021, 08:51 AM
Oldsdruid

July 2021 Our State has a good article on Bright Leafs and Carolina Packers, the company that makes them in Smithfield. They've been around since 1939. You don't last that long making an inferior product!

You may be able to read it online.

Our State was Mama's absolute favorite thing to read and was her birthday present from me for years. Since her death I've kept the subscription going. The magazine has come to this house for well over 45 years.

I gave her a subscription to Virginia's counterpart magazine Virginia Living for one year. When renewal time came she said "don't waste your money, if it's west of Richmond or south of Charlottesville they don't know anything about it". So when the 2d notice came, I wrote the editor stating exactly what she'd said.
Old July 11th, 2021, 09:06 AM
Oldsdruid

https://www.ourstate.com/franks-for-...leaf-hot-dogs/
Old July 11th, 2021, 09:41 AM

Since were talking about vittles here are some places I remember that had unique locations and great food.
1. *****'s Weenee Wagon, this was a old converted Metro milk truck located on a vacant corner of a busy highway in Markham IL. with a Illinois state maintenance facility across the street (genius proprietor, always hungry state employee's on a busy highway ) the truck never moved in fact it had four flat tires !! there was about 8 pic-nic tables out front with the old industrial string lights around the tables, sold only 4 things Chicago style hot dogs, Polish sausage, bags of chips and canned soda out of a beat up cooler next to the truck, always very busy, low overhead, he was there for years. great dogs !!
2.Dont even remember if this place had a name I don't remember a sign ( except for the bakery sign) Place was located in Joliet IL. just a few blocks from Joliet state prison (Joliet Jakes home ) in the basement of a bakery open only for dinner and only after the bakery closed for the day, you would walk in through the bakery entrance down a flight of stairs and through a doorway of hanging beads. There were only about 8 tables 1 waitress a few paintings on the wall. this place had some of the best Italian and Greek food I ever tasted, near impossible to get in on weekends, best bet was always mid week it was one of our haunts when my wife attended college in Lockport IL. my favorite was their Greek Lasagna oh my !!
3. Dirty D's this was a burger joint stuck back in the corner of a pool hall in Posen IL. it was a hole in the wall !! I think there was maybe 5 pool tables which as I remember had maybe 2 pool games going and 3 crap games going on the other tables with cash all over the craps tables
the local cops used to eat there and would turn a blind eye to the craps games. the burger joint had a chalk board menu with only 6 things on it , burgers, pizza puffs, fries, onion rings, shakes. their premier burger was the Dice cheese burger (big surprise) two patties with onion rings on it (long before the chain joints caught on to onion rings on burgers ) they were big !! bigger than the Whopper of days gone by !! and they were excellent, I think there were only 4 tables in that place, they did a lot of carry out.
4. and one of my favorites was Buchanan's a BBQ joint that operated in the same building (a converted gas station) as a hair salon !! the two places had separate doors but shared the same building and parking lot. their BBQ pork sandwiches and ribs were mouth watering !! they were in a very poor neighborhood called Robbins IL. (later renamed Ford city) people used to say I was taking my life in my hands going there but I never had a problem, always service with a smile although I only did carry out.
the reason I remember these places was not only the great food but the unique locations.

Last edited by solly; July 11th, 2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old July 11th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Running On Empty

Our State is a good magazine - I always enjoy reading it. My bourbon ball recipe is from Our State - a true crowd pleaser during the holidays. I generally double the recipe. Delicious.
Jeff’s Bourbon *****

Old July 11th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Oldsdruid

Solly, 9 times out of 10 the best grub comes from jernts like those but they're vanishing fast. A little drive-in up the road here probably never had better than a B sanitary rating the whole time the original owners had it open but good lord they had the best burgers dogs and fries ALWAYS crinkle cut.

It's been remodeled and reopened. Food is good and they maintain an A rating but those red hot dogs don't compare to Unk's. Growing up and still living at home, my grandma would get mad at me if I'd take off up there to get a hot dog for lunch instead of eating what she had fixed. Could never get her to understand that sometimes I just wanted a hot dog instead of cornbread, overcooked snap beans and a baked sweet potato.
Old July 11th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Oldsdruid

Bourbon ***** and rum ***** (and rum cake) are fine eating.

Me Pontiac bud is a Baptist deacon but he likes a little nip now and then, and loves making and eating bourbon *****. Come Christmastime, we usually make a run to eat BBQ, go to Northern Tool and then slip by the state bootlegger's to get the hooch so he can make them.

I said why not just go to the likker store at home? 😏 "What if someone in my congregation sees me?"

Well, if you were a Methodist or Episcopalian you wouldn't have to concern yerself with that, would you?😁 we'll speak to you when we see you in the likker store!

Besides, I've known plenty of Baptists who like bourbon ***** and rum cake!😋

Hoping my 96-year-old aunt will be able to make the rum cake this Christmas. She said last year that it might be her last one.☹ But we have the recipe, and the likker store has Captain Morgan! She used Bacardi for years till she discovered the Captain.
Old July 11th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Oldsdruid

Boy, I've got the prattles today. Hot, rainy, t-storms so the SATV is iffy... so I yak on here before we go out for supper. ☺️

I really miss the Greek-owned restaurants that were here. Most served regular food but there was always a Greek daily special that you had to ask for. Mrs Vardavas who ran the V-C knew that if I came in to tell me what that special was.

The last one closed in 2008. It was across the street from the Dan River Fabrics plant and when that plant closed, Stavros Schoolfield Lunch didn't last long. Mr Stavros still ran it at 90, and his kids had no interest in it. What a loss.

Mrs Vardavas' son is a partner in a local radio station. Ran into him in Olive Garden a couple years ago. Asked him if he thought we'd ever get another Greek restaurant. His answer? "Well Glenn, the first thing we gotta do is get us some Greeks!" The Greek community is really shrinking fast here.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 11th, 2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old July 11th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 7314haywood
My shop is a couple blocks from Luke's in Phx. They are cousins to the old Dukes 80th and Harlem. Great sausage, beef and giardiniera. It's nice that Portillos has 4 lo ccx ations in the valley. Where ever I'm working I'm close to one.
Luke's Italian Beef in Tucson on Alvernon a favorite of mine since the 80's. Miss them now that I have moved
Old July 11th, 2021, 06:57 PM

Boy, I've got the prattles today. Hot, rainy, t-storms so the SATV is iffy... so I yak on here before we go out for supper. ☺️

I really miss the Greek-owned restaurants that were here. Most served regular food but there was always a Greek daily special that you had to ask for. Mrs Vardavas who ran the V-C knew that if I came in to tell me what that special was.

The last one closed in 2008. It was across the street from the Dan River Fabrics plant and when that plant closed, Stavros Schoolfield Lunch didn't last long. Mr Stavros still ran it at 90, and his kids had no interest in it. What a loss.

Mrs Vardavas' son is a partner in a local radio station. Ran into him in Olive Garden a couple years ago. Asked him if he thought we'd ever get another Greek restaurant. His answer? "Well Glenn, the first thing we gotta do is get us some Greeks!" The Greek community is really shrinking fast here.
When I lived in Chicago the amount of Greek owned restaurants was huge !! we used to kid that even some of the Chinese joints were owned by Greeks !! could always tell a good Greek joint by the lamb and if they had dandelion soup on the menu.
Old July 11th, 2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by bobs72
Luke's Italian Beef in Tucson on Alvernon a favorite of mine since the 80's. Miss them now that I have moved
I have had Lukes Italian beef pretty good ,for a while it was about the only place around here to get one, There was also a place in Glendale called Dazzo's had a good Italian beef sandwich they are still there.

Quick Reply: Big, fat, nasty sammitches