The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Best/biggest regret modifications?

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2021, 08:26 AM

Best/biggest regret modifications?

Can’t recall seeing this topic mentioned, but I’d be really surprised if it’s never been discussed.

Im betting anyone who has owned a project car has a list of things they wish they had never done. And a list of things once completed they wish they had done sooner. I know I have many!!

Regrets? I’ve had a few, but too few to mention. 🥁😁

I wish I hadn’t deleted the heater and smoothed the firewall years ago. The heater core started leaking, I was 25, figured I never drove the car in the winter, why fix it? Pull that crap out, less weight! I failed to consider that no heater also means no defroster. Not fun driving a car in the rain with no way to keep the windshield from fogging up!

I wish I had gone with a machine shop that was familiar with Olds engines. I had to tear up a few engines before learning some of the tricks to keeping a Olds engine together.

Best modifications? The aluminum radiator. It’s so relaxing know that as long as there is coolant in the engine, it’s not overheating no matter what the outside temp is.

Gear vendor. While I’m not entirely sure I’d go with the gear vendor if I was doing it today, no question overdrive makes the car so much more comfortable to drive. The gear vendor is the only thing I have ever successfully bid on eBay. At the time, 4L80 electronics were expensive, and converter options limited.

The fast ratio steering gearbox. My car had manual steering when I first bought it. I didn’t mind it until I went to college and had to parallel park. I converted it to power steering, then a few years later put on a gearbox from a 86 442. Changed the original “powerful steering” to something with better road feel.

Aluminum heads. By far the best bang for the buck performance upgrade. I swapped on the heads, changed from a Performer manifold to a Torker, and switched from a 850 Holley to a Q-Jet. Car went from 8.20s to consistent 7.90 1/8 mile.

Who’s up next?
Old January 23rd, 2021, 12:05 PM

Best mod for me was swapping the rear gears. Went from the original 2.56 to 3.08, then to 3.55, then to the current 3.23 (the 3.55 ring gear teeth started breaking - boo!). Best mod ever. Each gear change felt like I had a new engine with more horsepower.

Second best mod was replacing front and rear coil springs with FE42 equivalents - firmer ride, better handling, but still a very smooth ride quality.

Most everything else that the car came with is still there - console with Dual Gate shifter, front disc power brakes, dual exhaust, AC, (and yes, the heater).

No real regrets as I never cut holes in panels for speakers, hacked the dash for a radio, etc - ever since high school I tried to keep from mangling stuff like that.
The only thing that comes close is tossing the 8 track in the trash back in the 80s. I can still remember the loud thump it made when it hit the bottom - that thing was heavy. Not that I want it in the car, but I could have kept it and sold it later for $$$ to someone.

Last edited by Fun71; January 23rd, 2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2021, 12:39 PM
same but different

My favorite upgrade was the rear axle. Coming from 2.56 to 3.23 made a big difference in the seat of the pants feel. New control arms and bushings too.

Really, the best change was new components in the front end. New bushings, ball joints and tie rods makes for nice driving car. Icing on the cake to this job was adding factory discs brakes a couple of years later. This has paid off every time I drive the car.

Last winter, I changed the power steering box ratio and rag joint, expecting that new feeling again. Didn't get that feeling at all. In fact, I can hardly tell a difference. Kind of wish I didn't waste the money or time to do it.

It's a pretty decent old car that I can drive most anywhere with confidence.