The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Battle of the 1970 W-30s on eBay

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2016, 10:36 AM
344879M363895

Battle of the 1970 W-30s on eBay

If you could only buy one which one would you get for the money and why.

Your choices:

At $11900 (no reserve) (post coupe)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...-/111924854017

or

At $19500 Buy It Now (post coupe)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-4...-/121916177118

Last edited by 70-442-W30; March 7th, 2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: forgot to put "post coupe" on first car too. I'm beginning to like these post cars.
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:44 AM

The green one, with a offer, not at 19,500.

The orange one, regardless of how much you spend on it, will always be a non numbers matching car that you took a 1973+ motor and rebuilt it to w-30 specs. Either way, you'll be upside down on the car when done.

It'd buy a driver quality one all done... It'd rather spend 50k, on a car, then 80,000 nickel and diming everything hoping to get it where I want.
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:00 AM

I wouldn't buy either of them unless I had 20K extra in my pocket, and a very good skill set. Neither of those cars will be going down the road soon. Save more $ up. Prices are going down, anyways.
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:09 AM

I like the 4 speed "--" paint code car, especially since it has the broadcast card. Obviously not for the faint of heart or shallow pockets when the restoration rolls around.

A post car that has A/C just doesn't make sense to me. Started with the lighter/stiffer body then loaded it up with options.
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:15 AM
delete

Green one is #'s matching so to me it has more upside
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:05 PM

I'd buy a much nicer roller Cutlass and put a 455 in it. If you're going to lie, lie big; a car that was a w-30 that is missing its engine and trans is no longer a w-30 and will never be one again, it would be the same thing as cloning a Cutlass into a w-30.

I'd lowball the dude on the green one, and walk when he gets butthurt. Muscle is starting on the way down, the general crappiness of 80s cars delayed it a good 20 years, but they're starting down, just like tri 5 Chevys are on their way down, and Model As are way down. 90s cars are going to be the next thing.
Old March 7th, 2016, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
If you're going to lie, lie big; a car that was a w-30 that is missing its engine and trans is no longer a w-30 and will never be one again, it would be the same thing as cloning a Cutlass into a w-30.
I don't follow that logic. Every W-30 out there without an original driveline isn't a real W-30? I know of several cars out there with original documentation that had driveline replacements due to racing or other damage, and while you won't get receive the most premium valuation, it's still a real W-30.

A/C cars with numerically low gearing are significantly easier to find numbers matching than anything with a 4 speed or steep rear gears.
Old March 7th, 2016, 02:30 PM

orange car..dont care how ruff or incomplete..i just like 4 speed post cars...orange makes it even better
Old March 7th, 2016, 03:04 PM

"a car that was a w-30 that is missing its engine and trans is no longer a w-30 and will never be one again, it would be the same thing as cloning a Cutlass into a w-30."

Oh, ow. You're killing me here.
So, might as well scrap my convertible?
I have "a" 400 engine, just not "the" G400 it came with.
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:25 PM

4spd post is more rare and documented but needs more work. Green one looks pretty solid and is numbers matching so better chance for investment and value. Tough choices but i love me 4spd posts
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:13 PM

so on the orange one.just how did the lower part of the dash receive a dent from his head in an accident??
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:03 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he saw the collision coming and decided "this is it.....it's OVER!". Accordingly, he placed his head down low, between his knees and kissed his a#@ goodbye.

He was apparently mistaken....he survived and lived to tell about it. That's the only plausible explanation I could think of for the head-created dent he mentions.

Anyone else have a theory on this?

That, or his girlfriend was also in the car and undertaking something that may have affected his concentration. Not wanting to tarnish her reputation at the time he may have promised to never tell and claim he was driving by himself.

Last edited by 70Post; March 7th, 2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:21 PM

He didn't say which head made the dent...
Old March 9th, 2016, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
I don't follow that logic. Every W-30 out there without an original driveline isn't a real W-30? I know of several cars out there with original documentation that had driveline replacements due to racing or other damage, and while you won't get receive the most premium valuation, it's still a real W-30.
Originally Posted by Octania
"a car that was a w-30 that is missing its engine and trans is no longer a w-30 and will never be one again, it would be the same thing as cloning a Cutlass into a w-30."

Oh, ow. You're killing me here.
So, might as well scrap my convertible?
I have "a" 400 engine, just not "the" G400 it came with.
Real means numbers matching, or documented GM replacement service blocks done by them back when. This is backed up by their sale values. Don't hate the player, hate the game, etc; I didn't make the rules.

One should not scrap these cars because they are still neat, valuable, and worthwhile, but, as we all agree, they are worth less (not worthless) without their original powertrain.

I have no issue with people doing the best they can with the situation that they have, ie putting a replacement engine into a roller w-30; it keeps it on the road. However, I detest lack of being forthright and lying about it later, which always seems to happen sooner or later.

As I restore my 442, I am making sure all the date codes line up, as I don't have the POP and it's a 67 so no vin matching. If I ever were to sell it, I would have to demonstrate the numbers that I knew, and explain that, to the best of my knowledge, or anyone else's, it's the original powertrain, and if that hurt the sale, so be it.
Old March 9th, 2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Magna86
4spd post is more rare

I don't believe this to be true.
Old March 9th, 2016, 04:43 PM
344879M363895

Less than 24 hours to go on the red one. Question is...will it sell???
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:19 PM

Two declined offers on the green one, no bites on the red. I'd be more interested in the green one if I was looking, but not at the asking price. The lack of bids on either suggest (to me at least) that the market is telling them they're over priced.
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Magna86
4spd post is more rare and documented but needs more work. Green one looks pretty solid and is numbers matching so better chance for investment and value. Tough choices but i love me 4spd posts
If the comparision is 1970 W30 post cars, the numbers are 142 4 speed and 120 autos. The 4 speed cars arguably are more desirable, but not rarer.
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:03 PM

Both appear to be real W-30 posts. I think both are Kool. I prefer Rally Red with a 4 speed, but tge Green with parchment is killer too.

http://www.carrollstauto.com/site/Pr...eenproject.htm

Last edited by Stefano; March 9th, 2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old March 10th, 2016, 04:02 AM
344879M363895

Of note: on the green car...they say in the listing that they don't have the F heads for the car, but have in this parts listing that they do have F heads for sale. If I was going to buy that car, I'd be making sure they tossed the F heads into the deal since they have them, maybe not original to the car, but they should have been included in the sale in my opinion. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Oldsmob...-/121916112771
Old March 10th, 2016, 06:24 AM

The issue (besides the non matching engine) is it will take a lot of money to make them "right".

Not sure if that is a good investment, as the values have dropped off over the past 3-4 years.

If you buy one for $20k in that condition, you will need at least another $50k to restore it.

Restored cars will be less than $60k in the next 3-5 years. The people who like and want them are now going into their 70's and above.

The demographics are going the wrong way.
Old March 10th, 2016, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by My442
The issue (besides the non matching engine) is it will take a lot of money to make them "right".

Not sure if that is a good investment, as the values have dropped off over the past 3-4 years.

If you buy one for $20k in that condition, you will need at least another $50k to restore it.

Restored cars will be less than $60k in the next 3-5 years. The people who like and want them are now going into their 70's and above.

The demographics are going the wrong way.
Yes...that's what I'm talking about, you may be the only other person on here who actually gets it! It is, what it is.
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:20 AM

All you have to do is look at the Ford Model A and T cars.

The folks you liked and restored them are either too old or have passed away.

That is where the Olds hobby is heading.
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:35 AM

I find this a view amusing! I say this as the model A and T hobby has been around for a long time and is alive and well. Now the olds hobby i don't think really took off till 80's 90's is it on a decline yep! But think about this for a minute. All car hobby brands have declined at some point then took off again. I see this lull as a chance for the young guy to buy at a reasonable price which he could not pay when price was high. This will bring in new blood to the hobby and may take 10/15 years for a rebound as price drops! JMHO
Old March 10th, 2016, 10:14 AM

I don't need a w-30, but a nicely restored 72 H/O would be something I'd go for for a decent price.
Old March 10th, 2016, 10:49 AM

How about Packard and Auburn prices? Early 30's Studes? Those don't seem to be going away...

There's still the factor of "desirability", and there are some younger generation car people out there.
Old March 10th, 2016, 12:13 PM
344879M363895

No bites on the red car. Who is thinking they will relist at $10k?
Old January 30th, 2019, 01:52 PM

I would consider a project Depending on condition
Alain
Old November 11th, 2020, 02:31 PM

Kool heads shal prevail

Some men ,
you just cant reach
So you get what we had here last week.....

& was fortunate that this was brought to my attention by a concerned man that I had utmost respect for before & is verifiably well placed
eventually the suprize party in my honnor was brought to my attention & always enjoyed the fryers clubs roasts & devoted time I did not have to view it & as it was neither threatened nor implied & invite probably lost in the mail , it was NOT made mention of when my associate & I hammered out an amicable agreement last weekend whereas every single thread that I was stalked at & unnessicary slandered at would be addressed by the assailant , rectified , and appologies made to anyone if he felt the need , to apologize for any interference with others obtaining the part they've been looking for for years
Initial red flag of not following specifically agreed upon payment instuctions that are ALWAYS approved of by purchaser as whatever form of payment is employed it must be doable on their end...not puttin anyones name on new proceedure of informing all that the NON - postal m/o adds approx 1 week & $20 additional expense ..eaten by me on this occasion as **** happens....also in formed if he so choose to do so the reasonable postal express cost could be shaved off top of payment as lately they have been slower than old people trucking
In my associates infinate wisdom fed ex was overpaid to expidite but failed to inform me of delails & we all know about that box you think is yours that you paid for , but is not.. NOTHING the postman or you place in there is TO MAIL is permitted & strictly enforced.... At exact same time a 69 H/O starter is way late & postal (en route ) trackin information is NOT comforting anyone....so trackin updates that I didnt order are not being viewed as it tends to **** ya off when your told a package is en route , exactly like it was when you dropped it off.....after two "attempted deluveries without actual intent , it occured to me how inadequate my US postal receptical was for other carriers that I never reconended other people use to expidite payments.... & before they returned the following week after an hour of me pressing 9 to be hung up on now or 3 in In 15 minutes , there was an approved receptical with a request to truckin deliver what they was paid to expidite , if not TOO MUCH TRUCKIN TROUBLE so initialy despite all efforts to expidite we were hung up at the line.....all my effort was rewarded with my next red flag of description of " near mint condition " on note with payment & immediately wondered what mint they would have been minted at ?

Stringent following of the terms of our agreement , although perhaps not the spirit of our agreement , has led to stalkin & slandering of me by my associate at mulitiple threads having been swept under the carpet & uncertain if violations were committed designating his removal / ban & have no time to look into that now...It .does not mean I am not deaply concerned the assailants emotional violence will be perpetuated in the future on others with thinner skin or mutch closer location & to his person . & problems that certainly could arize for him , as well as all who knowingly allow & perpetuate dispicable behavior
​​​​ it is unclear to me at this point in time if the terms of our agreement are still acceptable with my associate and I am applying both of my people skills to this rather delicate matter and can say that we are moving forward in a manner that will lay this to rest with only a few forgivable unpleasantries having been committed at this point.
I believe Larry hit the nail on the head when he said is sometimes best to not respond , especially with my penchant for telling the trueth , conceivably , there is a possibility that I was misunderstood when I informed my associate as I do everyone , that the next time you hear from me, it will be when you get your tracking number. Exactly what that implies when understood apparently may vary
I understand people waiting for their package with only other option being to worry about their package really do not want to discuss the horror stories from the last 30 years of shipping nice parts through people who do not care , or worse. However incessant poking of any dog with a stick is likey to get one bit & after about a half hour of that my associate informed me he had decided it best to wait patiently...& think we can all agree on that

At this point in time , the light is in clear , full view & approaching as fast as the people who are in control of its velocity at the moment are allowing it to travel , Wil-hav to wait-n- see how that transpires , it is very close to perspective & at great distance from its vanishing point & unless someone else goes to great lenghts to prevent it , will enlighten all of us as to how unfounded worry & mistrust can expidite everyones shipping
Everyones patience & understanding in my buisness is most greatly appreciated as well as any help...& the opposite , well...thats quite the opposite now aint it

Jon

Last edited by rocketscientis; November 11th, 2020 at 10:02 PM. Reason: MODERATOR Wrong location PLEASE PLACE IN FEEDBACK where wil - pak has insinuated I am a crook..Thanks