The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Anyone else on propane?

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Hey Mac, if you have the install manuals for that please double check the venting requirements for the wood burner, appears you have single wall pipe. Normally should be 24 gauge black connector, and S/S class A pipe for venting as you have a lot of dirty combustion byproducts going out. They can build up and cause creosote problems, don't ask me how I know this. Just want you & yours safe buddy.
Thanks Paladin, I appreciate it. I'm hoping this set up gets us through the next week's sub zero weather and then I'll get the proper piping. I spent most of my time cleaning and checking the flu. Kind of a pain from the bottom. These are the same pipes the original owners used (except for that elbow) for years so i think I can get by for a little while.
So speaking from experience eh? I hope you didn't have a chimney fire.
Old January 26th, 2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
More on this from today (1/26).

Prolonged cold blast worsens propane shortage across Midwest

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014...s-midwest?lite
“It’s not a permanent shortage and we won’t run out,..."

A shortage with no fear of running out. Interesting.....
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:02 AM

Propane

Moved to NC and house uses propane, have buried 1000 gal tank that was rented and was locked in to their price $3.00+/gal. I bought tank from them last year at an inflated price, but was able to shop around then and in 2 fills have paid for the tank in price savings. Owning your tank has benefits!
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:20 AM

I'll have to look in to that. The name of the gas company is on the tank. Does that necessarily mean "no sale"?
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by tomc5
Moved to NC and house uses propane, have buried 1000 gal tank that was rented and was locked in to their price $3.00+/gal. I bought tank from them last year at an inflated price, but was able to shop around then and in 2 fills have paid for the tank in price savings. Owning your tank has benefits!
So I thought too... I have my own tanks at my house and a cabin. I have been able to shop around and buy from the cheapest supplier. It has been great for 8-9 years. But now with this situation I am worried. I am no ones "customer" so if there is a real shortage the suppliers may feel no loyalty to me and tell me they have no propane to sell me because they need to take care of their contracted customers. I filled up on Dec 26th for $1.92 a gallon. Today I checked my tank and it was down to 25%!! I've never used so much in one month!! Anyway now the price is $4.32 a gal!!! I told them to bring it- I have no choice... The thermostat is set lower- time for blankets and flannel shirts, etc.
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Lansing built

That really tough on the wallet Greg! I to hope that winter will gives a break and soon!!!!! Luck would have it, I bank $500-600 extra into my account with Consumers and usually I have a couple hundred left when winter is gone.

I will pay another extra $75 bucks so maybe I will be at zero when April comes

Stay warm and did you ever wonder about the rock group called three dog night got their name from!

Pat
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Pat...pat...pat...methinks you protesteth too much!
Old January 27th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Paladin31
Pat...pat...pat...methinks you protesteth too much!
Hey Brett! A movie quote "you can take things two ways, either stand up and fight or take it on your knees, well I am not much for begging"

Sorry, that's my credo!

Pat
Old January 27th, 2014, 06:13 PM

When you said "three Dog Night"...the image that flashed across my blank page of a mind was the recent movie "Without a Paddle" Mathew Lillard, Seth Green, Dax Shepherd...three dogs spooning to conserve body warmth...Funny movie
Old January 27th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

wood

We recently moved into an all electric home, been here 2 winters now. Last year power was running 360 or so without a wood burner. I installed a wood burner this summer. We've burned thru 2x the wood this year (compared to our old home) and power bills are at 200. This year with the arctic spells, our temps are -40 and we've seen a few -65 nights. The wood burner has already paid for itself as we had a power outage 1 night. Didn't have to find anywhere else to stay and the pipes are good. Secondary heating is the way to go! I feel for you guys with propane as my shop is heated this way. This year I just shut it off as its too much to deal with. Keep warm out there!
Old January 27th, 2014, 06:43 PM

Called our propane company today to see if they are coming. We're down to 13%! They said "we're on the list" and that's all they'd say. Other to inform me it jumped again. Now it's $4.69. So I called around and $4.69 seems to be a steal. The next lowest? $5.32. This is nuts.
Old January 27th, 2014, 07:13 PM

No fire zone

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Thanks Paladin, I appreciate it. I'm hoping this set up gets us through the next week's sub zero weather and then I'll get the proper piping. I spent most of my time cleaning and checking the flu. Kind of a pain from the bottom. These are the same pipes the original owners used (except for that elbow) for years so i think I can get by for a little while.
So speaking from experience eh? I hope you didn't have a chimney fire.
I am in the Biz...saw a guys houses' chimney smoking, not out of the chimney, but around it. He didn't think it was necessary to provide a proper clearance to combustibles of the metal pipe that can exceed 800^F which around 575^ is flashpoint of wood, NOT a coincidence. My boss argued with the guy after the problem was noticed just driving down the road. Man thought we were trying to scam him. The Fire department explained it differently when they finished their job a few hours later. We neither laughed or cried. No injuries, but an un-careful person. I have seen a lot of those in 40+ years working with my Father from age 8. I never want to know I didn't reach out when I could.
Old January 28th, 2014, 03:52 AM

propane

I'll have to look in to that. The name of the gas company is on the tank. Does that necessarily mean "no sale"?
I dont' think so, if its a problem when it's yours, just paint over it. I have a 120 gal thank for wkshp that is rented and am trying to decide if buying it will produce the same savings as for the 1000gal one. last fill for it was 3.09 and for big tank 2.00, but using abt 200gal/yr would take abt 6 yrs to pay w/ fuel savings Who knows what to do? tomc5
Old January 28th, 2014, 09:32 AM

mine got filled yeserday. 1.84 a gal. i locked in last fall glad i did.
Old January 28th, 2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
mine got filled yeserday. 1.84 a gal. i locked in last fall glad i did.
Just rubbing that in oldolds? Lol, jk. Glad you had the foresight to lock. I've hear rumors around here that some companies aren't honoring their contracts.
I can take this if it's just a rough patch. But in my experience prices rarely go back to where they were. Next winter we'll be glad it's only $4 a gallon. It's just not right.
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:01 PM

propane

Here in Asheville,nc some very bright people in a neighborhood I'am unfamiliar with decided to form a co-op for propane. The membership has been offered for the entire county and for this winter we have a guaranteed price of 1.79/gal. My purchase of house tank 1000 gal and wkshp 120 gal will have nearly paid for themselves w/ 2 fills. I can work on my '72 in comfort! tomc5
Old January 31st, 2014, 08:25 PM

That's great tomc5. We just spent $1,800 on 65% of our tank, about 7 weeks of heat under normal conditions. Luckily the wood furnace is helping A LOT.
Old January 31st, 2014, 08:47 PM
Registered car nut

Just changed companies. 10% off 1st fill. less per year charge but slightly higher than old crappy service co.
Hoping it wont matter with new heat pump coming soon.
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:04 PM

"Oldsless in Seattle" I can't decide if that's funny or sad.
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Registered car nut

"Oldsless in Seattle" I can't decide if that's funny or sad.
I prefer temporary. But for now its funny and sad.
Old February 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Crazy!

Just filled my shop tank.....$5.10 a gallon........$1.135 a litre
Tank was at 20% both fills..bill went from $275 two weeks ago to $355 this time....should have gone with an outside stove..
Old February 5th, 2014, 06:06 PM

Yeah Sammy, this sucks. We went from $700 a fill to $1,800. And right now my rain cap is clogged so we can't use the wood furnace.

BTW, that's a nice lookin' ride.
Old February 5th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Yeah Sammy, this sucks. We went from $700 a fill to $1,800. And right now my rain cap is clogged so we can't use the wood furnace.

BTW, that's a nice lookin' ride.
Ya, I was following your chimney troubles...I also heat with a wood/oil furnace...one thing I found was to keep the flu as hot as possible by keeping the thermostat set for it fairly high and the furnace box with just the right amount of wood...I go thru a bit more wood but the creosote build up is kept to a minimum thru the entire length of the pipe...Hope you get yours unclogged!

Thanks for the compliment...I drive it EVERY chance I get, and my dream is to drive Coast to Coast with it someday
Old February 6th, 2014, 03:16 PM

I burn wood/fuel oil.I bring as much wood scrap as I can home from work.Kiln dried oak usually.It burns really hot.When I get home the fire is about out.I open the damper up and throw in some scrap oak it gets real hot real fast and keeps the chimney clean.
railguy
Old February 7th, 2014, 08:31 PM

Got the rain cap unclogged and we're cookin' now! I hear ya on keeping it hot. But I'll need a couple days with the new/strong draft to learn the stove. I'm jealous of your scrap oak Railguy, nice to have that kind of convenience.
Sammy, I love the color and I want those wheels! Unfortunately I spent my wheel budget on propane. Where'd you get them?
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Well, I called around to propane suppliers today and found it was from $2.31 to 2.99 a gallon. I am getting filled at $2.31. Much better than the $4.32 last month. All the suppliers I talked to said it was coming back down. Wow what a winter this has been and not over yet!
Old February 27th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Got the rain cap unclogged and we're cookin' now! I hear ya on keeping it hot. But I'll need a couple days with the new/strong draft to learn the stove. I'm jealous of your scrap oak Railguy, nice to have that kind of convenience.
Sammy, I love the color and I want those wheels! Unfortunately I spent my wheel budget on propane. Where'd you get them?
Mac, they are Cragers.....a friend gave them to me and insisted I take them because I stored his Challenger for a couple of months.
I have another pair of Crager knock offs that I bought at a yard sale...good tires and all, for 300$....I may put these on the 442.....

How is the chimney making out?
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by sammy
Mac, they are Cragers.....a friend gave them to me and insisted I take them because I stored his Challenger for a couple of months.
I have another pair of Crager knock offs that I bought at a yard sale...good tires and all, for 300$....I may put these on the 442.....

How is the chimney making out?
Cragar SS's, yeah? And free?? (sort of). I've always loved the look. Keeping my eye on Craig's list but so far no luck.

Greg, it's coming down here too but still higher than it should be. I'm talking with our local natural gas supplier about running a line. A lot of appliances to convert but might be worth it. I heard a friend in the hallway yesterday complaining about his $140 heating bill for the month! Wish I could complain about a $140 month! Lol.
Old March 7th, 2014, 05:04 AM

Some propane companys here in Northern IL/Wis are over 6.00. If you have a 500 gallon tank to fill it up is 2500.00. We have already spent over 5000.00 just to heat our house this winter from oct till now!You need to take out a 2nd mortgage just to heat your house. We have never spent more than 1500.00 in a season oct to april to heat our home.I have lived here since 1988.

Greg
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
Some propane companys here in Northern IL/Wis are over 6.00. If you have a 500 gallon tank to fill it up is 2500.00. We have already spent over 5000.00 just to heat our house this winter from oct till now!You need to take out a 2nd mortgage just to heat your house. We have never spent more than 1500.00 in a season oct to april to heat our home.I have lived here since 1988.

Greg
That is crazy! Maybe time to look around for other sources of heat.....
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by rcktdoc

Greg
rcktdoc, that sucks out loud! Over $5,000?! You can bet if this happened to natural gas there would be public outcry. A lot of folks I've talked to say things like "oh yeah, I think I heard something about that." Luckily I got the wood furnace going. Although the wood isn't free either. and carrying it down to the basement every other day, getting up at 2 AM to stoke it.....still better than $6 propane.