The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Any Las Vegas members with a big heart and a bit of time?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 09:25 AM

Any Las Vegas members with a big heart and a bit of time?

I live in Canada, and my daughter and her friend are in Las Vegas right now on a trip to a music festival. I would love to just speak with you on the phone to explain the exact circumstances, but long story short is this...
They are having credit card issues with paying for their final night in Vegas...
I would be willing to Paypal you the funds required for them to continue their stay if there was any possibility that you would be willing to help us out by going to their hotel and paying the required amount.
I know this is an insane way to try and accomplish this, but I am at a loss. We do not know anyone in Las Vegas. They have both been crying and ruining their vacation because they are afraid to be homeless for a night in Vegas...
I would pay you extra for the trouble even, seriously. I am just really worried about them and I have no other way to help them. The hotel will not even let me pay for it over the phone with my credit card which is insane to me, especially under these circumstances.
It's been a while since I've been in here posting, but some well known users can speak for me I am sure. I am not running some scam, just really worried about my kid
Thanks for reading,
Duane
Old Yesterday | 10:16 AM

You may very well be legitimate, but there are a couple of red flags here.

First, how many nights have they been there? How is it that they've paid for all but the last night? Are they moving from hotel to hotel, staying in a different one each night? Usually, you make a reservation by giving the hotel a credit card number, and they charge that card for the stay. In my experience, they often charge for the entire stay right up front. How is that they've paid for all but the last night?

Second, can't you just wire them some money using Western Union or something similar? They should be able to go to a local Western Union office in Las Vegas and retrieve any money you send them.
Old Yesterday | 10:24 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Yes, the situation can certainly be dealt with without enlisting the aid of CO members. I smell a rat.

Sorry if you're real, but in this day and age you have to realize that your story as presented will make people think otherwise.
Old Yesterday | 10:55 AM

Truly legit questions...
I get it. All can be explained though. Hotel won't take cash for one, that really sucks, Her Canadian debit (interac) card will not work in US, Her card is now maxed out after the first two nights which was not even supposed to go on her card, should have been on her friends, but she screwed something up last minute and now can't pay for the hotel as she was supposed to. They had reservations for all 3 nights at the same place, but my daughter's card has a small limit and so she could only pay for the first two nights.
Believe me, I most likely would be saying the same thing as you all are about this,
As I stated, I will tell more specific details to whomever thinks they could help a guy out. Look how long I've been a member here and any other Oldsmobile sites.
I get it guys, but what would y'all do if your daughter was trapped in another country (Vegas of all places) with no where to spend that night? Sorry, but I am afraid for their safety.
Old Yesterday | 11:03 AM

I don't mean to sound distrustful here, but there are still some questions here. Not a single hotel in all of Las Vegas will take cash? Not even the mom and pop operation at the edge of town? And not a single hotel will take your credit card over the phone? Both seem a bit hard to believe.

If they really have no other alternative and you're concerned for their safety, tell them to go to the airport and catch the next flight hone. They ought to be safe there until they can get on a plane.
Old Yesterday | 12:44 PM

Fair. And that last statement is the final plan, their flight out is Monday. And as far as another hotel, no, I have only been trying their hotel for it to be easier for them, With no money access, it's hard for them to get around Vegas to find another hotel, plus, the festival they are attending is apparently right across from the hotel they are at. They have limited cash on them as well.
Believe me, I thought it would be as simple as me calling the hotel and talking to the manager of their hotel, and them just accepting my credit card for that night, but apparently that is against their policy. I explained everything to them, they just seem to have no heart I guess.
Old Yesterday | 01:21 PM

Can you wire them some money so they could at least pay cab fare to get around and pay for restaurant meals?
Old Yesterday | 01:25 PM

I'm sure that could be done. Don't get me wrong, I could do something like that, but the goal here is mostly to get that night in a bed for them, rather than the airport lobby.
Old Yesterday | 01:50 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by 69Rman
I'm sure that could be done. Don't get me wrong, I could do something like that, but the goal here is mostly to get that night in a bed for them, rather than the airport lobby.
They'll be okay. I slept in worse places when I was their age.
Old Yesterday | 02:18 PM

Very true Bang, same here lol
I'll end this now on a good note, apparently they have figured out a way to stay at the hotel now.
I don't know all of the details yet, my wife just got the message from her that they have it under control now.
Thanks for at least reading about my dilemma. I am sorry I had to do this here, but I don't know anyone in Vegas. I had to try as a last ditch effort.
Enjoy your weekend folks!
Old Yesterday | 02:27 PM

Glad it has worked out!
Old Yesterday | 02:27 PM

Hope they can go to the festival!
Old Yesterday | 02:42 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Thanks for apprising us of the positive resolution to the problem.
Old Yesterday | 02:50 PM

Good to hear it's resolved, definitely a helpless feeling.

A few years back my wife was in San Diego with our daughters (minors at the time) and had her purse stolen with all their cash, cards, ID and passports. Talk about spinning trying to figure out how to get them home! (They cancelled the international flight, booked a domestic flight to Seattle then I drove down to pick them up and cross the border. Nailbiter)
Old Yesterday | 03:01 PM

Thanks again for your support.
Yes, they will be going to the festival, it's on Sunday, and their whole reason for going there. That was already paid for in advance, they have wristbands for it.

Oh wow VI Cutty, that would surely have me going crazy... I'm glad it worked out too!
Old Today | 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
A few years back my wife was in San Diego with our daughters (minors at the time) and had her purse stolen with all their cash, cards, ID and passports. Talk about spinning trying to figure out how to get them home! (They cancelled the international flight, booked a domestic flight to Seattle then I drove down to pick them up and cross the border. Nailbiter)
Just a quick question. If your wife's ID was stolen, how was she able to cross the border back into Canada? For that matter, how was she able to get on a plane?
Old Today | 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Just a quick question. If your wife's ID was stolen, how was she able to cross the border back into Canada? For that matter, how was she able to get on a plane?
I don't recall for the plane, she might have had her drivers license separate but I don't think so. I sent down scanned copies of her expired passport so that might have been enough as she only needed passports for an international flight. I met them at SeaTac (Seattle/Tacoma airport) with the actual expired passport and she had the San Diego police report as well.

We were expecting lengthy interrogation at the Canadian border but they let us through after a few questions.