The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

another eBay rant

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM

another eBay rant

as much as i HATE eBay there are times i just don't have any place else to sell something. i listed an NOS air compressor for a vintage Cadillac and was hoping it would go for around $150. it ended up going for way more than that. i was very happy about that but now the guy has contacted me to say he wants a partial refund because a little plastic T fitting is not good. that is part of the hardware kit and nothing to do with the compressor or valve. i even listed that i thought that some of the parts may be missing to the hardware kit. i think he is just trying to be a cheat. i don't plan to offer him any partial refund at all. if he is unhappy with a little T fitting he can just return the entire thing for a full refund and i will eat the $91 eBay/paypal fees. i just hope he don't give me a bad feedback to screw up my 100% rating. am i wrong on this? feel free to give me your thoughts.
here is the eBay listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...vip=true&rt=nc
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM

I have to say the listing is very to the point and throw lots of you get what you get I dont think he has a leg to stand on if you had a Ebay moderator look into it . I would talk to them and let them know the case . cant you get the t fitting at ace and send him a new one? Did he say what was wrong with the fitting ?

Last edited by firefrost gold; March 13th, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

you can dispute bad feed back i belive. I like selling stuff on ebay if i cant sell it here it goes on ebay. Im having a current issue with ebay as well the buyer wont pay up.so i gave the guy 2 days before ebay gets em or at worst i"ll re list it i got 20 free listings i havent used .
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM

I saved this ebay listing in my watch list. I kept a eye on it-just to see what it would go for. In your listing ad-you said you don't know if all the parts are there and you cannot confirm it works. I interpert it " AS IS". I think this guy is trying to hustle you- my opinion. I wouldn't give him nothing-except a big smile as I go to the bank with the $$$. Maybee he should have defined the words in the ad-before he bid on it.
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:51 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Eric.I feel the same pain.I will Never ,Ever .Ever ,Never Sell on Ebay again.It seems to bring the MOOCH out of a GUY..I think I am pretty easy to deal with.Tell me if i am wrong...I have met my match and my end ...In my last transaction.I was going to initiate a return of my product with the Resolution Center.Due to the Whining..The buyer thought I would return his money AND he would keep my product. I will make it right with him.That is the way I roll.But I am done.Going forward.I will contract with an individual on a Instrument Panel Restoration.Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited by rroth01; March 13th, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Seems like a nice core too me, especially if you dont know if it works!! Pretty clear to me on your listing. Hope it all works out in your favor as it should.
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Well I still do ebay. Found you must mention every little spec of dust on the item or someone may complain. Just thought I sold a set of valve covers there. Guy puts a bid in with 3 seconds left and its been a week no payment no mails no nothing..... Then I cant leave him a negative but buyers get 5 shots at boning the seller.... Its a bunch of BS for sure.
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Eric, you said you were hoping to get $150.00
The item sold for way more. Maybe the guys
Trying to hustle you, ask him what's a fair dollar
Amount for the piece in question and go from there.
Your still ahead of the game even if you refund him $25.00. Your good name is worth more that
That. Just my 2 cents.
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Your ad seems seems honest and fair to me! I do not think the guy has a leg to stand on.I agree with 71 sienna-sounds like a hustler or he is trying to get out of deal.Ditto on what fire frost gold recommended, depending on price of valve.Good-luck

Ted
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
now the guy has contacted me to say he wants a partial refund because a little plastic T fitting is not good.
I looked at the auction. It's straight forward.
You supplied all relevant info. You supplied nice quality pics. You invited buyers to ask questions. (no questions were asked during the bidding).
You didn't hold a gun to the guys head and tell him to bid 15 times to get the parts. Buyers also have a responsibility to perform due diligence in the performance of a contract.

I wouldn't offer him a penny back. I would also be prepared to flip the coin on him and let him know that you have sellers protection rights with ebay too. His claims are not reasonable. You win. Case closed. Neeeexxt!
Old March 13th, 2012, 08:49 PM

I had a guy pull something similar a few onths ago. He complained about he condition of the item even though it was clearly stated in the listing that there were problems. When i offered a refund less shipping instead of the discount he was after, he quickly turned heal and ran.

He left neutral feedback...so I left a follow up suggesting he learn to read. No real harm done and my rating hasn't hurt me at all because of it. You just have to do what you feel is right.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:22 AM
72 Olds CS

re: ebay

IMHO ebay has gone way downhill for two reasons.

1. the chinese sh t junk sellers, anything you search on you get ton of matches that are essentially chinese (or similar) crap thats not what Im interested in. I liked ebay much better when it was people selling their stuff not crappy importers selling crappy goods

2. The sellng of ebay to buyers as OLDSMANIAC alluded to. As a seller I cant leave negative feedback for a buyer.

My story is short Ive sold a bunch on ebay and bought a bunch too no issues (100% feedback) then 1 guy doesnt pay me for a $20 item My terms state pay in two days or make other arrangements w me well excuse after excuse of I will pay tomorrorow etc etc goes on for over a week (its $20 buddy cmon) so I end up telling the guy forget it I will sell on 2nd chance ebay as there were multiple bidders. at that point he immediately paypals me, I immediately refund his money and say no thanks. he leaves me negative feedback and calls me a loser in the feedback, well ebay rules state no social commentary (or name calling) I immediately appeal to ebay to have the feedback removed and provide them w the entire story including emails of this guys failure to pay despite several appeals from me and how I sold the item thru ebay on 2nd chance.

well ebay decided I was wrong left his feedback and removed mine for him that was a nuetral (cuz i cant leave negative) and stated worst ebayer ever seller did not pay within terms of auction

So hundreds of transactions and 1 negative feedback while its not much I now only use ebay as a last resort because ebay doesnt support sellers (or their own rules) at all

So I guess jensen my advice is either take a chance w the guy and refuse him or refund some partial amount, I agree the guy got in over his head and is now looking for a way out , but ebay will not back you up in my opinion

Last edited by RetroRanger; March 14th, 2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:37 AM
delete

Originally Posted by 71 sienna supreme
Eric, you said you were hoping to get $150.00
The item sold for way more.
Your still ahead of the game even if you refund him $25.00.
I agree that you are in the right but can you source a T-Fitting & give it to the whiner to shut him up?
If you look at the bidding history & the clown's history he sniped somebody on it and the guy is an experienced EBayer so he knows the burden of proof is on the buyer & not the seller. Since you are easily in the black I'd cut a deal & put it to bed.
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I deal with this all the time. Ebay sucks if you are the seller.
You may be kind of screwed in this case.

Since you clicked the "NEW" category option when you listed your auction, "NEW" means new and undamaged.

Not new, with a dent or busted fitting.
NOS stands for new old stock, so you could get away with listing it as used, and typing NOS.

I have found that the original listing choice seems to trump,\ 3 paragraphs worth of description with ebay.

I made 2 accounts on ebay after getting boned on a situation similar to this. I sold a dual battery tray setup, and stated in the description there was a 1/4" rust hole in one of them.

The guy that bought them later cried that he only bought the whole dual setup for the one tray he needed, and the one he needed was the one with the hole, and therefore the whole thing was useless.

THIS WAS CHUMP CHANGE MIND YOU. Like 16 dollars or something.
He could have put a pop rivet in the hole and covered it with the battery, which is probably just what he did after I refunded him the money.

Now, I list all my perfect items on one account, and the mystery / untested items on the other.
Funny thing is, the blem account gets more business and still has 100% positive feedback because people are so cheap.

MANY, would rather gamble on a mystery part and possibly save some bucks, than buy the right one in the first place. HOWEVER.....

In the case of your auction, you probably have a buyer on the hook that wanted it PERFECT the first time, paid big money to have it right the first time, and now is upset that it is not.

You know.....there's all types in the world.

Some guys would rather buy 2 milk crates full of qjets for 20 bucks each, and hopefully find/make good ones to use.

Others wouldn't even want to be bothered with that mess, and will throw piles of money at you to avoid having to do that.

Neither one is wrong. Just a type A/ B personality thing I guess...??
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Registered Luser

How about this one...a few years ago, I won an item for my '67 Supreme Convertible. I was very excited. After a month and a half of trying to get in touch with the guy...and I'm talking e-mails every other day, I don't ever hear from him. I need him to send me an invoice so I can pay him, I want this part. I finally gave up, and left him a negative feedback, after a month and a half, and I went into detail why I did. Well, wouldn't you know, the very next day, he leaves me a negative feedback!? His description why is because he has been in the hospital for a month and a half, and I should be understanding??? Coincidence that as I leave him a negative, he "just gets out of the hospital"...if he was, how would I have known? Needless to say, I still wanted the item, but he says "you can't have it now!".....
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:23 AM

I wouldn't refund a single dime unless ebay refuses to help you. It is awesome that you got so much more than you want but I still wouldn't cave then he will think he can get his way with anything on ebay and just contribute to all the other moochers on there. If ebay doesn't help you then I would maybe a refund a few bucks to keep the good rating but otherwise I wouldn't bother
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:14 AM

You could send him 10 bucks the difference from him and the next bidder at the end of the
sale ?
Old March 14th, 2012, 04:26 PM

new details. i contacted the second place bidder, it is a company that specializes in air control. i ask if he knew anything about these parts. he said the high bidder is full of crap but would love to be able to buy it still. he said he would have bid more but never thought he would be outbid at what he bid. this guy wants to reverse engineer it and make a reproduction of it. he said he has most of the factory drawings of it but there are a couple things he don't have in his drawings. i contacted the high bidder and said i would not do a partial refund but if he just has to have that T i would refund all of it if i get it back in the same condition. i know i should not have done it but to late now. he claims to have shipped it out today. i will sell it to the second place bidder at his price. i put a little mark on the valve and compressor i sent him that only i know and if this don't have those marks he can go jump and i will keep the money till i get mine back.
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:47 PM

The problem with EBAY's new rules is they back the Buyer almost 100% and they know it if the guy wants some money back give it to him or EBAY will just suck it out of your account.
I sold a cush drive for a Harley about a year ago and it had a funny looking little casting mark on it (there was nothing wrong with it just had a funny looking spot on it) the guy flipped out and insisted I give him his money back, I didn't and EBAY sucked the money out of my account and gave him a full refund and he still had the part, what a crook that was, took me a month to get the a-hole to send it back.
Old March 18th, 2012, 05:19 AM

now the guy claims he shipped it and it was returned to him. he wants me to pay for the extra shipping he was charged. i told him i have to have it back by Thursday or i will not refund any of his money and that i will not cover any shipping back to me. i am thinking i should report this to eBay before it gets any farther out of hand.
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Wow. What a hassle it's been for you. It got shipped back to him-cause why, he couldn't write the address correctly on the box? If you get it back-double check everything-to make sure he didn't tamper and/or damaged anything on purpose. Hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted on your dealings with this person. Hopefully he's not a seller too-hate to buy from him.
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Post this azzwipe's user name so I can block his bids should he come across something I may have listed.
Old March 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM

My experience with ebay has been almost 100% positive, but there will always be unknowns pop up. I sold a used battery tray, described and made photos as best as I could, but the buyer complained about a very small defect (that I had described). He was going to leave negative feedback, blah, blah, blah. I offered him a refund when he returned it, and suddenly he said that if I would be willing to do that, then I must be an okay guy, and he could deal with the small defect and he was okay with the sale, and he'd leave positive feedback, which he did. I didn't get it. Maybe he had a fight with his wife and just wanted to argue a bit that day.

I also sold a set of seat belts that a brand new ebayer (0 sales or buys) won. He actually bid 25 straight times, mid week, increasing by ONE PENNY each time until he was high bidder. Then he was out bid and he came back at the last second to win. He didn't pay and he didn't respond to my emails to pay. I filed the complaint with ebay, waited the required additional 4 days, ebay cancelled the transaction and I relisted. The good news, is the 2nd listing netted me TWICE the price and the sale went with no hitch.

Last edited by brown7373; March 18th, 2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:07 AM

I have had 4 people file complaints against parts I have sold to them. I listed everything that was wrong or told them to verify the part would fit using the part numbers on the items. EVERYTIME Ebay has sided with me and I have not had to issue refunds. If it was something I missed or stated wrong, I have issued a full or partial refund.

Ive also had numerous people say they received a part that didnt work or it was a wrong part all together. I tell them to ship it back and when I get it, Ill issue them a refund. 9 out of 10 times, I never get the part and never hear back from them.
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

now the guy claims he shipped it and it was returned to him. he wants me to pay for the extra shipping he was charged. i told him i have to have it back by Thursday or i will not refund any of his money and that i will not cover any shipping back to me. i am thinking i should report this to eBay before it gets any farther out of hand.
Holy socks Eric, sound like you're dealing with the guy who was head of the line at the "L" function. FWIW, I've had this happen to me but in reverse. I ordered some stuff out of LA. Waited 3 weeks and contacted the seller. He said it was returned to him 2 weeks after he sent it. He was 'waiting' for me to contact him so he could get the right address. Lame as mule with 3 busted legs. He had my email address. Anyway, long story short I told him to resend it - regisitered mail and I would pay the difference on shipping cost for that. It arrived within a week! The guy you're dealing with sounds more like he's just trying to **** you off because he's still unhappy with his purchase. Stick to your guns. Yeah, I'd report him to ebay too.
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Geezer

Yup that is exactly what you should do before the jerk appeals to ebay that he's been wronged.

I've been buying parts, and other things, on ebay for 14 years and have run into "jerk" sellers only once plus a couple that wanted to go around ebay after an auction was over.

I used to head to ebay anytime I needed a part no longer stocked by anyone, however they have allowed far too many "JUNK" listings not specific to anything to show up and sometimes there is no way to avoid them. Like I"m really going to be looking for a set of covers for bucket seats for my '56 Cadillac Eldorado. It's sad they have ruined what was once the most beneficial resource to those of us in the car hobby at any level.
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by a64olz
Post this azzwipe's user name so I can block his bids should he come across something I may have listed.
i wasn't going to post his user name because he does have 100% feedback like i do but i will post it backward to avoid it coming up in a google search. "tenoroc96"
i just sent eBay a report that said i understand the guy has 100% feedback but feel like there are concerns with this. i ask that they review the conversation back and forth and if things get worse i will have a previous statement on file.
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

i just sent eBay a report that said i understand the guy has 100% feedback but feel like there are concerns with this. i ask that they review the conversation back and forth and if things get worse i will have a previous statement on file.
I think that makes good sense.

- Eric