The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Amputees

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2020, 07:04 PM

Amputees

Anybody here a below the knee amputee? Just had my left foot amputated because of a bad infection in my left foot that got in the bone. I fought it for a year and a half but still lost it. Just wanted feedback as to what to expect wearing a prosthetic and how hard it is/was to get going with it..

Thanks
Old May 6th, 2020, 07:46 PM

I lost right leg & half a pelvis (external hemipelvectomy) last fall, not the same but....

I have been working with Hanger Clinic on my “test rig” & I have “gone walking” twice while waiting a little over two months now for insurance company approval. What I can tell you is the prosthesis is numb & clumsy but that situation is to be expected. As your appliance is a single joint it hopefully won’t be that bad to acclimate. Get what help you can from Doc, get in with good physical therapist & work to limit any further atrophy while strengthening what you can prior to & during the prosthetic process. Lots of balance work, core work and keep shoulders healthy if you’re primarily on crutches. You’ll have a lot of work to do once you get the new hoof. Because you still have a lot of muscles, nerves, veins, etc present I’m not sure whether that might change any “ideal” window for fitting.

Your new foot likely won’t happen overnight, you have to heal up until YOU are ready for it, you will get cast/fitted which may take some degree of trial & error, socket will be made & assembled with other components, adjustments made, etc. Insurance will likely loom throughout the process.

Try to live as close to “normal” as you can, I went to car 5 car shows over 3 consecutive weekends starting 2 weeks after I left hospital. Despite pain & fatigue I never appreciated being out ”on the field” as much as I did last Sept/Oct. As a matter of fact my first day out was having my friend drive my car & me to the New England Olds show.

Keep your chin up, positive attitude, chuckle at your new found ineptitude that screws you up at every turn, be very careful going down stairs, try not to fall and get a tray for your walker so you can transport food.

I hope your car is an automatic!

Good Luck!

Last edited by bccan; May 6th, 2020 at 08:24 PM.
Old May 7th, 2020, 02:14 PM

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you both.
Old May 7th, 2020, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by blakes7
sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you both.
x2
Old May 7th, 2020, 03:55 PM

Mike, I'm a fairly recent BK amp, also. I am age 67. I was in a bad motorcycle accident in 1983. Broke both arms. legs, in hospital for 2 years. They gave me drugs for infection that left me deaf. Ended up a para, but could use crutches. I became kind of drug dependent, unable to cope cleaned up my act in 1992. I've built 4 or 5 cars since then. Para, but was using crutches and could do pretty much anything. One leg has had a constant infection for the last few years between the knee and ankle. I made a decision to let it go a few years ago. Down for maybe 6 months...that's typical, I think. Doctors were constantly trying to give me oxy. Are you sure you don't need it? Yeah, I'll be fine. They will probably give you another drug for phantom pain. I suggest you be very wary of the drugs. When I say own for 6 months, I mean from the time of the surgury to the time everything was "normal". For me, that meant getting fitted, back up on crutches, etc.
It's a bit of a mysterious thing. It's hard to find or get good info on exactly how things work. There's a deaf woman on youtube...I think her ID is amputee OT or something. Excellent info, find her clips. Not because she's deaf, but because she explains everything. All you questions will be answered if you watch her.
Excellent advice above about attitude. You need a sense of humor, you need a positive attitude. It's hardly the end of the world, you will be able to do most everything again, it will just be different. You will experience some frustration, it's normal. As mentioned, you have to keep in shape. If you're overweight, losing weight may help. My doctor and hospital arranged everything for me. I use hand controls, but I have been using them a long time. I have maybe 3 sets of quick change controls, they will fit most anything from a golf cart to a Lexus. I take them to vegas, rent a car, 10 minutes and I'm driving. Sometimes I drive w/o controls, but if it's like NYC or Boston I like to use them. I've got like 8 cars I drive so the portable controls work well for me. I've raced multiple times with them.
Any questions, fear, concerns or info, feel free to PM me. Look for that woman on youtube...she's the best info you can get about how your life may change. I will have to meet the person from CT, I'm in MA a GMO member. I know your members, they are very familiar with me, too. We used to go to shows down there.
Old May 8th, 2020, 06:32 AM

I have zero experience with such tragedy, however just want to say to all of you my heart goes out to you. Hope healing mentally and physically are your futures. God bless.
Old May 8th, 2020, 06:21 PM
MOTORHEAD

Let me Know
Any little thing I can do

Old May 8th, 2020, 07:26 PM

All I got is sympathy, but no advice. Concentrate on having fun.
Old May 9th, 2020, 10:16 AM

This is a blanket type of response to all who responded. I am doing well,healing nicely and should do well with the prosthetic. I have a good attitude about this and I don't feel sorry for myself. After a year and a half fighting this infection I was really mentally exhausted.and was ready to get it over with. No matter if the infection was gone,the foot was never going to be right again and this was my only option to get back on my feet. I'm in pretty good shape for a guy almost 69 years old and my therapist says I'm pretty strong even after sitting on my butt for that long of a time. I thank all of you for the nice thoughts and advise.

Mike Richards
Old May 9th, 2020, 10:57 AM

Hello Mike, Thanks for the update and information. Being on the forum one sees names/posts but really don't know individuals. When I read your thread and the replies it makes one realize members are so much more than Oldsmobile owners. I wish you guys all the best and I think all of you have good attitudes. Sounds like you've picked the best course to move forward with your life. Good luck and keep living the hobby.
Old May 9th, 2020, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
This is a blanket type of response to all who responded. I am doing well,healing nicely and should do well with the prosthetic. I have a good attitude about this and I don't feel sorry for myself. After a year and a half fighting this infection I was really mentally exhausted.and was ready to get it over with. No matter if the infection was gone,the foot was never going to be right again and this was my only option to get back on my feet. I'm in pretty good shape for a guy almost 69 years old and my therapist says I'm pretty strong even after sitting on my butt for that long of a time. I thank all of you for the nice thoughts and advise.

Mike Richards
Glad to hear your doing well Mike. I've never had a limb removed, the closest is joints replaced. I'm glad your making the best of the situation your in. Having a good attitude may be the best thing one can do in dealing with things like this.
Old May 9th, 2020, 11:11 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by blakes7 View Post
sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you both.
Originally Posted by oldcutlass
x2
x3
Old May 13th, 2020, 07:37 PM

Have a friend that lost his leg below the knee in an accident. He’s a big guy and although it took a couple of years and hardwork he’s doing great. He was talking about the fantom pain and I told him I can relate. He said how? I told him every time it’s windy I can feel my hair blow in the wind. He looked at my bald head and said,”it’s not the same!”
Old May 14th, 2020, 04:23 AM

Mike, very sorry about your situation. I guess there is a reason for everything and surely we all try to wrap our heads around it. Hope you stay connected with all of us on Classic Oldsmobile. Your presence would be missed. Enjoy every day. We all need you.
Wayne

Old May 14th, 2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 35tac
Mike, very sorry about your situation. I guess there is a reason for everything and surely we all try to wrap our heads around it. Hope you stay connected with all of us on Classic Oldsmobile. Your presence would be missed. Enjoy every day. We all need you.
Wayne
Wayne

Thanks for the nice thoughts. I had a guy come to me last October looking for a 66 442 like mine. He offered strong money and I knew deep down it was going to come to this,so I sold it. I am really burnt out with cars and have lost all interest in owning one. I am liquidated my remaining car/parts as I can. I have a really nice 66 442 Conv. clone that's really nice and 99.9% rust free. New 400 engine,4 speed,3.55 posi,rear sway bar w/boxed lower arms,power windows,tilt wheel etc. that I need to sell. I have everything it needs to be built.

Thanks

Mike
Old May 28th, 2020, 09:12 AM

Importance of stump care
Attached Files
Old May 28th, 2020, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
x3
x4

i attached a document. It should be good to comprehend. Stump care in early stages is very important.
You have lost a limb but not the precious life you’ve been given. Stay strong
Old May 28th, 2020, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by LomitaToHamburg
Importance of stump care
sorry, 1-2 pages are not in english but they’re not really important
Old May 28th, 2020, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by LomitaToHamburg
Importance of stump care
Thanks
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Thanks
no problem
Old November 11th, 2020, 09:55 AM

Ok guys. Just an update on my condition. I healed up very nicely with no complications. I got my prothesis on July 7th and took real well to it. I am up and walking with very little complications. It will never be the same but as I told my doctor,my goal was to be mobile. I want to thank everybody for the kind words and encouragement.

Mike
Old November 11th, 2020, 09:59 AM

Great news! Thank you for the update Mike!
Old November 11th, 2020, 10:12 AM

Mike, thanks for the update and glad to hear of your progress.
Old November 11th, 2020, 11:48 AM

Great news!

Old November 11th, 2020, 11:59 AM

Mike,
That is fantastic news.. very happy to hear you are doing well. We all need your expertise so keep us all straight on 66 442 information. Your knowledge is much appreciated..
Andy
Old November 11th, 2020, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Awesome news!
Old November 11th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Olds Fever

Good to hear things worked well for you to be mobile...
Old November 11th, 2020, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Andylappin
Mike,
That is fantastic news.. very happy to hear you are doing well. We all need your expertise so keep us all straight on 66 442 information. Your knowledge is much appreciated..
Andy
Thanks Andy. I have been busy building tri carbs and have built 8 complete units and straightened out a couple more. I just finished a set for Andy Hanson who has 66 W-30 # 27. I have 2 more sets to build of my own and then to sell 3 complete setups. As they say,I'm busier than a one legged man in an *** kicking contest. Wait,that ain't funny no more.
Old November 11th, 2020, 05:54 PM

Thats funny, sort of..good to see you got a sense of humor about it..I mean what else can you do brother. Glad to hear your busy building tricarbs. Sure would like to see pics of the 66 W30.. such damn unique cars.. someday I might have to just buy one.. probably not, be afraid to drive it..I love driving my 66 442 and Pontiac 2+2.. Ron Roth is restoring the dash on it right now. Should look awesome when its done.. I will post pics of it once I get it back. Then i get the fun part of putting it back in..lol
Old November 11th, 2020, 09:24 PM

Glad to hear you’re doing well but sorry to see you have lost some of the passion for your Olds buggies. Isn’t a bitch that you, mrolds69 and me can’t even form a competitive sack race team?!?

I was doing stairs, floor ladders in all sorts of patterns followed by a few laps through tall, unmowed grass at PT this morning. I don’t know how you guys are adjusting but this giant rig I have to use is pretty brutal, so cumbersome and takes appx 3 times the effort to walk compared to normal. So far my main “voluntary” use of “Peg” has been raking leaves, etc as it frees up my hands from crutches but I have to sit down on my gimp scooter (acts as landscaping vehicle, towing a wagon for tools, etc) every minute or two so my existing hip can rest. Just installed line lock in Cutlass so I’m ready for a track day next year. I have LH gas pedal rigs in my cars + one on a heavy, portable plate to use in the wife’s or some other temporary vehicle.

I hope you guys have settled in with your new paws and are operating as close to normal as you can. Mike - I implore you to resist the urge to liquidate all of the old cars, you might regret it like hell in another year or so if you have an auto version in the stable.

mrolds69 - Hopefully we’ll cross paths at one of our area shows, I’ll be the lopsided guy with crutches because I’m not walking around at a show with that prosthetic monstrosity on!

Good Luck and step lively!

Last edited by bccan; November 11th, 2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old November 12th, 2020, 09:29 AM

bccan, thanks for the words of encouragement and I'm sorry you're having struggles with your situation. I just take it one day @ a time and do the best I can. My 14 year old granddaughter put it best. She overheard me and my wife talking about possibly losing my foot before the amputation. She chimed in with 'at least you will still be alive'. Truer words have never been spoken. GOOD LUCK going forward.