The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Ability to Communicate

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2014, 06:59 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Ability to Communicate

There are a large number of guys out there who know a great deal about cars, and Oldsmobiles or who to learn about Oldsmobiles, but are not able to communicate that via the written word. I feel so helpless when I am trying to read some posts because I just cannot understand what is trying to be said.

Please guys, try to learn how to punctuate a sentence; it will make it so much easier to understand your problem. Help us help you!

And I know I am not the best writer either.

Old April 10th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1.

Let the flaming begin. Again.

- Eric
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Hookers under Hood

Guys I likely the worst here with proper grammar , punctuation etc, My apologies to all... I left school highschool in grade 9, started working in a Tool and Die shop at 16 yrs of age and continue at 47. Education is not my best suit nor is it with communicating in my own business... I'm very fortunate that my wife is a lifesaver in our office. I'm a work in process .
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Beer Connoisseur

It's kind of sad that some of the guys from foreign countries, write and spell better English than a lot of guys from here.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 76olds
Guys I likely the worst here with proper grammar , punctuation etc, My apologies to all... I left school highschool in grade 9, started working in a Tool and Die shop at 16 yrs of age and continue at 47. Education is not my best suit nor is it with communicating in my own business... I'm very fortunate that my wife is a lifesaver in our office. I'm a work in process .
I've seen a lot worse posts than yours, a lot worse. 50 word post all one sentence, most of the words misspelled, words missing. Trying to decipher some of them can be a real challenge

Last edited by 70cutty; April 10th, 2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

76, actually you're fine.

If you think you have any problems communicating at all, you haven't been reading a lot of other posts.

- Eric
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Eric, I have admit you became really good at translating some of these posts. Joe is good too.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:34 PM
70 Cutlass SX

76 you are model to be held up, overcoming such obstacles and still being able to give me a very real image of your life and challenges. That is communication.
Please, if you have something negative to say, try to make it mean something positive too.
I want to give encouragement to those who do not have the skills to make an effort to learn them. Just like fixing cars.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Eric, I have admit you became really good at translating some of these posts. Joe is good too.
... Comes from years of "dealing with the public."

I just picture them screaming the words incoherently.

- Eric
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks guys , I take this as a compliment, my strengths are with Cad-Design, CNC Programming and manual machining , math and my wife are my strengths .

Cheers not feeling so bad now
Eric
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

If you're from another country & honestly don't know the language ... then it's perfectly understandable.

Same could be said if someone starts off a thread with something to this effect :

On phone stranded roadside need help please forgive bad typing & abbreviations etc etc.

Some people will always be better at others in their communication as well ... but as long as it appears ~ some ~ effort went into, so be it.

But people that are obviously just too lazy &/or immature to speak in a coherent manner ..... screw em'.

I've come to realize it's much easier to just skip over or ignore such topics.

I see no need to make any effort on my part to try & help.

9 times out of 10 when you politely try to point out to these types ...

That they might want to try & communicate a bit more clearly, all they do is turn everything around & start hurling insults back at you & anyone else that might agree.

And if that's not ballsy enough .....

Another 7 out of those 9 will continue to post & still expect that same help that they wanted from the get-go.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Administrator

I've been accused of not being concise in some of my posts, I've been working on it. I get annoyed at a post that simply says "my engine runs like crap, help".
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I've been accused of not being concise in some of my posts, I've been working on it. I get annoyed at a post that simply says "my engine runs like crap, help".
X2..Especially the proper names of parts...eg..Headlight shroud vs headlight doors..my Dad always called them shrouds, which I found out is not the correct term ......

Last edited by sammy; April 10th, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:14 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I don't have an issue with the punctuation. My issue is with some of the really stupid questions posted lately. There is a lot of information out there in books. A little self education goes a long way. Im guilty of this too but sometimes I rely too much on this site. I did 90 percent of all the work on my car before I was on any forum and before turning 20. I had like 2 guys I knew that where olds guys and that was it the rest I had books and did research and I did just fine. Don't get me wrong I have asked my fair share of dumb questions but usually once I have done research to make sure the info is not at my reach. Some of these questions are asked like we can magically fix a car over the computer but with out a little self and unbiased education on the subject what you are going to end up with is a wide variety of possible outcomes and then it becomes a pissing match over who is correct and why. I have gotten a lot of help here and one of a few things I ventured of into doing was differantials and transmissions. I got a lot of great help from members here. To make my point clear in short., what I did was I spent a good amount time of educating my self on what was what so that when I asked a question it would be an educated question vs. whats this doo hicky it do it looks like it turns this cajiger . It really helped me to do that research before I went ahead and asked for advice on rebuilding my th350 or the differential I did. That above all pisses me off more than the punctuation. I have so much literature on engines , transmissions , differentials, body work , not to mention 10 years worth of hot rod and carcraft magazines which I keep for the tech articles and how to's . Some guys come on here and done even have a chiltons manual for the basics.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 10th, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:05 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Re posts #13 & #14;

Sammy, I see your point about correctly naming parts, but overseas members often apply different terminology, your fenders are our wings, rocker panels are sills, hoods are bonnets, trunks are boots, the list goes on......
Perhaps before dismissing a post as "another poster who doesn't know what they are talking about" take a look at the sidebar and see where it originated from.
It could be different parts of North America has local colloquialisms for various parts too.

Coppercutlass, I concur that a little research shouldn't be beyond most old car enthusiasts, indeed I enjoy reading posts with how to's and technical information that may never apply to me.
Someone too lazy to pick up a manual can be irritating, but not nearly as much as someone expecting us to give a perfect diagnosis every time for ill described symptoms, even less if their reply is they don't want to hear the answer if it involves spending money or getting dirty under the hood.

Another irritant is when someone has aked for help and several of us have taken the time and trouble to offer help and advice we hear no more from the OP. Did they fix the problem?, give up and scrap the car?. We can then wonder if we were right or wrong with our opinions. Several times I thought I had the diagnosis buttoned down on someones car, then learned I was completely wrong. But if we are told what resolved the problem we will all be a little better informed, whether or not we were right or wrong.

Roger.
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Hookers under Hood

I have to say since being in business since 2005 in a very stressful trade, I have come to the realization that no question should be regarded as a stupid question unless asked several times. I find as I'm getting older I can be forgetful with things I have been doing for years, also confidence levels change at times with what came natural when I was younger. I feel as thou this is a site of good insight to any issues and we all have something to offer each other. Different opinions will always vary but I do feel as thou young or older we all try to help. As frustrating as some questions may be we have to look inside ourselves before looking outside. Just my .02
I must say we have an awesome site here and I hope it continues for many years to come .
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:29 AM
Beer Connoisseur

The god damn phones have a way of "correcting" the words. I typed in "to" as in "I have to" but my iPhone decided that was not correct.
My 2 year old daughter decided to do a little experiment with a laptop and her bottle. It took about 10 seconds and laptop decided it didn't like water. So for right now I am stuck with the phone.

Last edited by 70cutty; April 11th, 2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

76olds I think there is such a thing. I mean do ou go buy a tv with out research or any appliances ? Specially nowadays where you have so much technology at the tip of your fingers spending a few hours doing a little research goes a long way.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 76olds
I have to say since being in business since 2005 in a very stressful trade, I have come to the realization that no question should be regarded as a stupid question unless asked several times.
Would that be the question about motor mounts?
Headers in Supremes?
Squealing power steering belts?
Swapping a 455 in place of a 350?
Converting an A-body to disk brakes?

It occurs to me that questions like these are the REAL FAQs. It might be time to post them all someplace easy to find. Yeah, I do get testy sometimes if people can't be bothered to use the SEARCH function, although admittedly the search engine on this site isn't a particularly good one.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Would that be the question about motor mounts?
Headers in Supremes?
Squealing power steering belts?
Swapping a 455 in place of a 350?
Converting an A-body to disk brakes?

It occurs to me that questions like these are the REAL FAQs. It might be time to post them all someplace easy to find. Yeah, I do get testy sometimes if people can't be bothered to use the SEARCH function, although admittedly the search engine on this site isn't a particularly good one.

Naw ... the wire dangling by the gas pedal is the one that always makes me giggle.

Does every one know that you can hit google to search this site? Frequently comes up with better results than the built in search. The spelling failures always twist my knickers as pretty much every decent internet browser has a spell checker built right into it. I'm using Seamonkey (don't ask) and it's flagging Naw, google, and oddly enough Seamonkey as not being spelled correctly.

Last edited by Professur; April 11th, 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The god damn phones have a way of "correcting" the words. I typed in "to" as in "I have to" but my iPhone decided that was not correct. .
In this case your phone is correct. Given the context of your sentence the word too is synonymous with 'also'. I'm not a fan of auto correct either and some phones automatically insert their choices before giving you the option to change.

Peter
I applaud your thread effort but in all honesty it's not likely to have any impact for the majority of folks on this site. The hobby, experience and literacy is what it is. Everything, even well written comments, suggestions or questions are subject to interpretation. It's also a members choice whether to spend the time on a thread or not.

Last edited by Allan R; April 11th, 2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: sp
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
Everything, even we'll written comments, suggestions or questions are subject to interpretation.
Ha ha. AutoCorrect bit you too, Allan!

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:04 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Allan, Eric - I know better now.

What would be involved in setting up a FAQ section with consistent index reference tags? I would volunteer to input some tags.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

After doing some research on a specific topic, I usually log into CO for clarification...!

Roger, I understand that different terms are used for various parts depending on where one resides....my point was I learned something new......and to me, that is what being a member of this, or any other group, is all about

Ted
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Ha ha. AutoCorrect bit you too, Allan!

- Eric
Lesson 27,334. Never use iPad to post with. Dag nab it! Good catch Eric, I'll go spank that nasty computer.
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:07 AM

"And I know I am not the best writer either."

Eye think you right reel good. :-)
Old April 11th, 2014, 09:27 AM

X2 on using Google search to find CO topics.

George
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:23 AM

I hope I am not giving you fits with my English. I did not do good in school and mostly because I could not spell or read very well. My teachers would never thought I would ever be management material but 20 years later I am. I still can't spell to save my life but at least I have spell checker. I am so bad that sometimes spellcheck can't figure it out. I really freak if spell check don't find something. If it don't find something I will misspell something to be sure it works.

hookd on foniks nevr workd 4 me
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:26 AM

I find it is also a good thing to read carefully, and several times if required. Chances are when your ready to "flame on" re-read the post and you may have had a misinterpretation of the poster's original intent. Negative attitude begets negative attitude. I have to agree with Allan's comment "It's also a members choice whether to spend the time on a thread or not." Just my observations that are not mean't to offend anyone as I too am human and therefore prone to require "correcting" either by myself or a well intentioned co-forum Oldsmobile fanatic.
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:13 AM

No comet
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Me German. Me so supper sorry!

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:57 AM

I'm fairly certain this was addressed more to members from the U.S. than people from other parts of the orb.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Old School Olds

Smile I can't but maybe someone could spend the time.

Informative and fun thread.
Goom yob guies!
I 2nd the motion for an easy find FAQ
for the boys within CO. Joe pointed out
the 1st five of...

Last edited by tru-blue 442; April 11th, 2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:15 PM
KDV

NXGOp.jpg

Old April 11th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

My spelling and punctuation sux. A thousand apologies in advance. My wife and oldest daughter are constantly on me about my typed grammar. Probably why I spent more time in a shop class than in any type of english class. I agree that google will find more of my search questions (than this sites search engine) that lead me right back to CO. Did you hear that? I gotta go now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
spelling%20police.jpg (16.9 KB, 20 views)
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Funny ...

Most people that are going out of their way to apologize, seem to do just fine & have nothing to apologize about.

No one is perfect ... we all muck up now & then.

And again some will always be better at communicating than others ... that's ok too.

For me this sort of thing has always been about the immature & the lazy vs someone that occasionally throws a misspelled word or two out there.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1.

- Eric
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
hookd on foniks nevr workd 4 me
Funny you should mention that Eric! Spelling and Phonics were mandatory subjects back in the (stone age) days of my childhood. I have to admit, it helped me a lot throughout the years, especially in college. When I look at what passes for English spelling and composition in the schools/colleges nowadays, I honestly get a cold shiver down my back.

The occasional misspelled word here or there (sometimes evokes a humorous response) isn't going to make or break a conversation. Neither will the regional colloquialisms. The only difference between now and when I was working is now I'm not forced to proof read my composition, although I do make reasonable efforts to. I compare that to the technical writing I did at work where it was an obligatory requirement; especially with a Director who micro managed everything, and I don't feel so bad if I type an occasional gaffe.

General Comment
I think I should say this in defence of those who sometimes just don't punctuate or compose. I really understand that sometimes the keyboard is just an extension of our tongue and we try to get all that information typed out quickly before we lose a train of thought. That said, words sometimes just flow as if one was speaking, not typing. We all need to recognize that - from both sides and take the necessary steps to understand and/or review before hitting the 'Submit' button.
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I do get testy sometimes if people can't be bothered to use the SEARCH function, although admittedly the search engine on this site isn't a particularly good one.
+1 on doing your research. I could have run my post count through the ceiling by asking every question that has crossed my mind. Luckily, I usually find the answers to my questions by clicking search.

I also run all my posts through Word before making them public. This helps me look smarter than I really am. Heck, even my web browser has a built in spell checker.

Last edited by BAFRAYD; April 11th, 2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Yeah, I do get testy sometimes if people can't be bothered to use the SEARCH function, although admittedly the search engine on this site isn't a particularly good one.
Guilty as charged. I used to ask the questions after using CO search engine, that I was sure came up in the past, just couldn't find the answers.
Until I learned that Google can be used to search this site.

Last edited by 70cutty; April 11th, 2014 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Ability to Communicate