dash rusted--advice?

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM

dash rusted--advice?

Well, finally got to really inspect my car and I realized that I'm either going to need to replace the entire dash or get a windshield channel replacement.

I see that OPGI has a windshield replacement for a 64-67 442. I'm guessing this won't work on a '68 442. Is this correct?
http://www.opgi.com/product.asp?Prod...ue=0&newflag=0

If not, any other ideas?

I'm not happy about this

...update...looks like the Parts Place has an upper dash replacement. That's good.
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...&YearList=1968

Last edited by 68Tom; November 27th, 2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: found Parts Place replacement...
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
car guy

How bad it it? Might be easier to just make patch pieces. You got pics?
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Well, finally got to really inspect my car and I realized that I'm either going to need to replace the entire dash or get a windshield channel replacement.

I see that OPGI has a windshield replacement for a 64-67 442. I'm guessing this won't work on a '68 442. Is this correct?

If not, any other ideas?

I'm not happy about this

...update...looks like the Parts Place has an upper dash replacement. That's good.
Rust in the pinchweld areas is unfortunately common on the A-body cars. I have one of the 64-67 patch panels for my 66 but I was not aware that a panel was now being offered for the 68-72 cars. Good find.

Unfortunately, if you have rust at the base of the windshield, expect to also find rust in the pinchweld areas around the back window.
Old November 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM

I redid mine on a 72. I made a patch all the way across. It was a lengthy solution, but it is done now. I might have gotten one of the patch panels, but I did not know they were available until I was all most done. Email me and I will send some photos to see if this is how you want to attack it.
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:52 PM

I have my camera, but I forgot to bring my cable to upload them, so I'll have to do it when I return home. The guy who is rebuilding my engine is also restoring a '72 vert with the same problem, so I'm going to check it out and see what he's doing about it. Apparently the rust extended out too far for the patch panel on his, so he's having to weld pieces in.

As far as the rear window is concerned, based on all the other awful things I found today, it really wouldn't surprise me. About the only good thing that happened today was that the original rear seat belts were actually still in the car under the seat. Deluxe models.

Tom
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom

If not, any other ideas?

I'm not happy about this

i bought a used patch panel off ebay i think it was 225 dollars now i have a body shop man putting it on for 350 dollars
Old December 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Rust in the pinchweld areas is unfortunately common on the A-body cars. I have one of the 64-67 patch panels for my 66 but I was not aware that a panel was now being offered for the 68-72 cars. Good find.

Unfortunately, if you have rust at the base of the windshield, expect to also find rust in the pinchweld areas around the back window.
I got lucky with mine. If you look at the photos in the cutlass section, I have some rust issues at the base of the windshield. After pulling the trim on the rear glass, I found that it is factory fresh. A major relief to say the least.

I need to pull the windshield to see the real extent of the cancer, but initial views tell me that I can patch it with small pieces. I'm going to make it functional and not pretty since it will be covered by the lower trim piece.
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:40 PM

I used one of the replacement channels on a 67 and wasn't happy with it. It went in easier than I expected and fit pretty good. But... the outside corners set a little high and the contours of the edges were wrong. By the contours I mean the visible edges all the way around, the radius of the edge was larger then the original. To me it would be most noticable were the lower stainless trim for the widshield meet the channel. I found a better project car, so I'm not going to have to deal with it.

Also, for reference, I had visible rust on the dash before I started. By the time I cut out the channel and the dash back to good metal I was missing the first 1 1/2" of the dash. From what I could tell the dash and the channel were one piece originally.

Oh yeah, a WARNING! I cut the rusted dash off with a cutoff wheel. I started a couple of fires in the old insulation under the dash when I did. Have some water handy when you do this!

If (more likely when) I try this again I'll look for original metal to use for replacing this area. Way easier then trying to get the replacement channel to look "right".

Don
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:28 AM

Unhappy

There is a patch panel from Parts Place.Unfortunately it is for a 69 El Camino, sold by them as one for Oldsmobiles.It is not usable by any stretch of the imagination! Stay clear!

Last edited by Bunser; December 12th, 2008 at 04:29 AM. Reason: sp
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM

El Caminos used a sedan (post car) windshield, which is different from a hardtop windshield. So the El Camino part might work on a post car.

Don
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
El Caminos used a sedan (post car) windshield, which is different from a hardtop windshield. So the El Camino part might work on a post car.

Don
2 dr HT and 2 dr post cars use the same windshield in those years. The problem may be that the Camino is actually based on the wagon (front fenders are completely different from Chevelle 2 dr fenders, for example) and probably uses a wagon/4dr windshield.