Rubbing out blemishes

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Rubbing out blemishes

This may be common knowledge but it is new to me so I wanted to throw it out in case it was news to someone else.

A while back someone asked, in one of the forms here, how to polish old head lights and signal lights that have yellowed over the years. A responce to that quesiton was a link to Eastwood's and a product called "Autosol Metal Polish", out of Germany.

It does do a pretty good job on the lights but I recently had my Cutlass in for some work and while it was in the shop it was parked under a tree. When I picked it up I about had a heart attack! There were numerous blotches of brid droppings on trunk and hood. I just knew that the top coat was scarred!

I got it home and washed it and sure enough there were little dull sopts all over the trunk and hood where the bird "do" had been. It was late Friday and I didn't feel like driving 10 miles to the Auto parts store for some rubbing compound so I tried a little of this Autosol. It is extremely mild and with a little rubbing I could see that it was decreasing the blemish. When I was satisfied that the scar was rubbed out I gave it a little wax and buffed it and it was as good as new. I was truely amazed.

This stuff does not seem to be as abrasive as some of the products that are available for rubbing out scratches and such and I liked that because it didn't get away from me and I didn't cut too deep.

It took me several hours to get everything taken care of but this stuff was a life saver to me and the result was beautiful.

If anyone has a similar situation you migt try this. I definately put it on my list of necessities to have in the garage!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
Jim's rare 80

I still have a 1/4 can left. Almost 8 years. Awesome stuff.