Control arm bolt questions

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Photoshop God

Control arm bolt questions

Im having some confusion about my control arm bolts. I have a bag for front control arm parts and a bag for rear control arm parts.

I've been looking for new bolts online and it looks like the front lower and all of the rear bolts are the same. Mine aren't.

The two on the left are from the front the four on the right are from the rear. The ones from the front don't have a flange and are slightly shorter than the longer ones in the back and quite a bit longer than the others.

Where do you get these and are they all supposed to be the same? Also where can I buy the nuts and retainer things for the front upper cross shafts without buying the shafts?

and what are these parts for? http://m.ebay.com/itm/200941428692?_mwBanner=1
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:20 PM

The middle two (w/the flanged heads) are used on ONE LOCATION ONLY....the forward mounting point of the REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS.

And....I am about 100% sure those two would have a thick washer (yes, in addition to the flanged heads) that goes b/n the bolt head and frame rail surface. I'll check the Assembly Manual and follow up.

The two on the right can be used on the rear mounting point on the rear lower control arms or possibly the rear upper control arms at the differential pumpkin.

Inline Tube sells these bolts (and the thick washers I mention....just looked in their catalog and found them) and the other suspension related hardware. They also carry the front upper control arm-related hardware.....splined bolts that mount the cross shafts to the frame bracket, the large locking nuts for the ends of the cross shafts and the large cupped washers that go on the cross shaft ends prior to the locking nuts.

Your link doesn't work.

Last edited by 70Post; February 19th, 2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:12 AM

the 2 on the right look like head bolts
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:40 AM

very common not to have the same bolts in all locations. What 70Post said has been my experience with locations.

I also have new bolts available
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...olts-nuts.html
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Photoshop God

Any reason not to reuse these bolts with some new nuts or nylock nuts?
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:48 AM

My detailed fastener notes while taking apart one of my '70 cars shows the flat tipped bolts used on the rear upper control arms...and a bolt size of 1/2" x 3-3/8" shaft length (not including the head of the bolt). They are Grade 8 as well (head marking will show that).

Won't comment on re-use but I would use the original style locking nuts for re-assembly, NOT nylocs.
Old February 20th, 2017, 02:16 PM

I have the original hardware.
If you need a bolt or two send me a PM.

Free
Old February 20th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Photoshop God

Originally Posted by 70Post
The middle two (w/the flanged heads) are used on ONE LOCATION ONLY....the forward mounting point of the REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS.

And....I am about 100% sure those two would have a thick washer (yes, in addition to the flanged heads) that goes b/n the bolt head and frame rail surface. I'll check the Assembly Manual and follow up.

The two on the right can be used on the rear mounting point on the rear lower control arms or possibly the rear upper control arms at the differential pumpkin.

Inline Tube sells these bolts (and the thick washers I mention....just looked in their catalog and found them) and the other suspension related hardware. They also carry the front upper control arm-related hardware.....splined bolts that mount the cross shafts to the frame bracket, the large locking nuts for the ends of the cross shafts and the large cupped washers that go on the cross shaft ends prior to the locking nuts.

Your link doesn't work.
i was looking at the service manual and not the assembly manual or some of this would have been more clear. I don't see any washers on the control arm bolts in the assembly manual. I have new cross shaft bolts already. Trying to decide if I want to reuse the others now. The front ones I'll need to replace as one is broken and two are pitted along the smooth section of the bolt.

Miley me try this link again but I think this is for a different type of cross shaft.
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Administrator

That first bolt on the left looks a bit stressed, the rest look ok.