Worlds strongest ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2013, 07:57 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

Worlds strongest ball joints?

I really have to laugh,I'm in the process of changing everything out on the front end.
I cannot get the upper ball joints to budge.
I've sheared off the rivets,and have been drilling,chiseling,punching and hammering...they do not want to go!
Hopefully the lowers wont be as rough!
I've got all the items needed for renovation ready to go,shouldn't be long now?
I've spent over one hour each side so far.
The only member of the suspension I'm going to reuse is the center link,I purchased a new one,but the old one is still rock solid.
I should have bought more expensive lower ball joints...the cheaper ones don't even have a grease fitting???
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:16 PM

If they are the original riveted-in uppers then just chiseling off the heads isn't enough. When these were originally riveted, the riveting press (or whatever they used) had enough force to both smash the rivet heads AND EXPAND the part of the rivet shaft that passes through the ball joint and A-Arm hole. THUS...the rivet is expanded OUTWARDS throughout the hole. Great idea for super strong retention.....not so great for removal.

You may have to almost completely drill out the leftover rivet "shafts" in the hole. Or get most of the way and you may be able to use a punch to knock out what's left. They are in there VERY, VERY TIGHT.

Use the punch down against the partially drilled out rivet shaft areas...you're wasting your time chiseling on the bj, prying on it, etc...you just can't generate adequate force to overcome the retention of the rivet shafts inside the holes.
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Administrator

If the rivets have the tiniest lip they will not punch out, don't ask me how I know. I cut off the handle on a large screwdriver and ground the edge and hammered it between the ball joint flange and the control arm to pry them up. They can be tough SOB's.
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:10 AM
XCELERATIONRULES!

I don't want to damage the original control arms.
I'm just taking my time and removing as much of the rivet as I can.
Eventually when there is nothing left.they will pop out.
But how long will this take?
I know today's parts would never take this much abuse....GM once made a tremendous car and had nearly 70 of the world market...those were the days!
Old April 20th, 2013, 04:50 AM

I used a dremel with a grinding wheel and carefully ground away the rivet ( after knocking the top off with a chisel) so it was "counter-sunk" into the control arm and they pretty much popped right out after that. On another car I drilled a hole through the rivet and it collapsed pretty easily.
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:34 AM
XCELERATIONRULES!

I've been sanding with my multi function tool anything that builds up again above the rivet top.
The metallurgy of yesteryear sure makes today's crap a bigger joke.
I can't believe snow on April 20th here in Ohio...drag strip opens in two weeks?