windshield parts

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM

windshield parts

So I cant find all the little pieces that go in with the windshield on my 69 vert cutlass.
1. I have 7 pegs (1 actually missing) for the upper trim reveal molding clips, but I dont know which ones.

2. I think I have the 2? front windshield glass stop clips.

3. I do have the tabs that hold down the lower trim on the outside.

4. does the vinyl header piece go on before or after the windshield?

so any ideas on what else I am missing, what clips I should use and what to do with the clip post that is broken?

any other advice on putting the windshield back in would be helpful as I couldnt find anything on it in the assembly manual.

thanks bb

Last edited by bigbrother; May 21st, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigbrother
So I cant find all the little pieces that go in with the windshield on my 69 vert cutlass.
1. I have 7 pegs (1 actually missing) for the upper trim reveal molding clips, but I dont know which ones.

2. I think I have the 2? front windshield glass stop clips.

3. I do have the tabs that hold down the lower trim on the outside.

4. does the vinyl header piece go on before or after the windshield?

so any ideas on what else I am missing, what clips I should use and what to do with the clip post that is broken?

any other advice on putting the windshield back in would be helpful as I couldnt find anything on it in the assembly manual.

thanks bb
The clips are common and available from Auveco. Most auto paint stores can get them. The "nail head" pins that the clips attach to are welded in place. To replace a missing one, you need a stud welder, like the ones used to spot weld on pins to pull dents. Most shops just drill a hole and use a sheet metal screw. DO NOT do this, as it leads to pinchweld rust.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:05 PM

Joe, does the clips go in before or after the windshield?

thanks bb
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bigbrother
Joe, does the clips go in before or after the windshield?

thanks bb
Either, but if they're out, wait until after the glass goes in. That's one less thing to possibly chip the windshield. Don't ask me how I know this...
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:46 PM

Studs....you can also buy them in a version that screws in...you need to first drill the appropriate sized hole. This saves you the hassle of having to borrow/find/buy one of the stud guns and then try to find the studs. SEE PIC BELOW.

Put your top-of-the-windshield vinyl on last. You need to get a piece that's long enough, and more importantly, WIDE OR DEEP ENOUGH, to cover the top of the windshield header WITHOUT HAVING TO STRETCH IT to follow the curvature of the windshield header as you go from one end to the other. No use in creating wrinkles in the vinyl if you don't have to. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS on the can of glue that you select to glue the vinyl on....something like 3M Super Trim Spray Adhesive would work...but follow the application and "waiting time" instructions.

Also--if you are buying a new windshield do yourself a favor and price one at a local shop that also installs them. The cost to install is usually not much more than the glass itself and they will likely guarantee it against leaks.

If you are doing it yourself you should dry fit the windshield first...that way you can double check that the glass setting blocks (the two rubber-tip-coated metal clips that screw in at the base of the windshield) position the windshield where you need it. Two pairs of hands are real helpful at this point!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1AuvecoTrmScrw1.JPG (69.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by 70Post; May 22nd, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70Post
Studs....you can also buy them in a version that screws in...you need to first drill the appropriate sized hole. This saves you the hassle of having to borrow/find/buy one of the stud guns and then try to find the studs. SEE PIC BELOW.
As I noted above, I STRONGLY recommend NOT using screws or screw-in studs. At best, this is a water leak waiting to happen. At worst, it's the start of the dreaded pinchweld rust. The factory welded these studs on for a reason. This area is very susceptible to rust from debris caught under the stainless trim. Don't make it any easier by drilling holes also.