Steering Shaft Seal -need help

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Steering Shaft Seal -need help

I am replacing the steering shaft seal on my steering column. This is the seal half way down the stem inside the engine compartment where the shaft can pivot and flex. There is a little grease in there with 2 square metal bearing that can move. The seal is kept in place with a spring clip about the size of a silver dollar. the other end has a small spring clamp about the size of a quarter. This clamp broke on me when I was trying to get it off in order to replace the seal. Does anyone know where I can get this clamp? Thanks.
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM

The big one that's just a ring or the little one that's like a fuel line clamp with the tabs snapped off ?
The big one is available repop. I don't know about the little one, but you could probably find a suitable fuel line clamp and cut/snap the tabs off if you can't find the OEM part....
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Good thinking, yes it is the little one with the tabs cut off .... hence why I broke it trying to move it.
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM

No repro of the seal clamp (the one inside the rubber seal)....get a used one. Fuel line type clamps are nowhere near as thick and don't clamp like the rubber seal clamp...not sure that it would matter that much as long as you have a reasonably tight clamp.
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:43 AM

I have no idea how I would even get it on anyhow, so now i have decided to go with a black plastic tie as this clamp must have been put on before they pressed the flange on for the rag joint. I am not pressing this flange off and then back on again.... **** on it.