Steering Shaft Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM

Question Steering Shaft Installation Help

Hello All,

I'm working on finishing up my project and I'm stuck on a seeming trivial installation.

Until now I've kept the steering shaft that connects from the column to the rag joint out of the car so that I can easily access the exh. manifold.

I have the steering box fully installed and the column in place and I'm trying to figure out how to install the steering shaft and rag joint. I have a manual, but can't seem to locate the installation procedures.

Do I need to remove the steering box or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by #1CutlassSupreme
Hello All,

I'm working on finishing up my project and I'm stuck on a seeming trivial installation.

Until now I've kept the steering shaft that connects from the column to the rag joint out of the car so that I can easily access the exh. manifold.

I have the steering box fully installed and the column in place and I'm trying to figure out how to install the steering shaft and rag joint. I have a manual, but can't seem to locate the installation procedures.

Do I need to remove the steering box or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!
The trick is to slide the upper end as far up the splines as you can, install the lower end, then slide the upper end down until you can get the pinch bolt installed. The splines get crudded up (yes, that's a technical term) so you may need to use lubricant.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM

That's what I thought too. I just can't get it to move up the upper shaft any further. I've even tried with a few taps with a large dowel and a mallet.

Do I need to install the rag joint on the gear box first, slide the shaft up the upper splines, then down onto the rag joint?

OR have the rag joint on the shaft and do that procedure?

I'm about to just disconnect the centerlink, pull the gear box bolts, and then install the box to the shaft.

Grrr...

BTW; thanks for the quick response Joe.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by #1CutlassSupreme
That's what I thought too. I just can't get it to move up the upper shaft any further. I've even tried with a few taps with a large dowel and a mallet.

Do I need to install the rag joint on the gear box first, slide the shaft up the upper splines, then down onto the rag joint?
Yes, that's how I've done it.
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Last night I managed to get a pickle fork between the rag joint and shaft and did a little prying. Finally got that extra 1/4" cleareance I needed. Rag joing looks good and so does the shaft.

Thanks again for the help Joe.