Source(s) for front-end components

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Captain Starfire

Source(s) for front-end components

I was going to replace the lower control arm bushings on the '64 Starfire and realized that the only thing that's ever been done to it is a replacement of the upper-control arm bushings. Was considering one of those big front-end rebuild kits from Kanter, 'till I realized they don't even have one for this car.

I did a casual survey of the offerings at Rock Auto, and was generally shocked re: how little for these front ends is now serviced.

I'm sure this has been asked here before, but what are our choices for front-end hardware such as tie-rod ends, ball joints, idler arms, etc.? Clint here on the board mentioned to me that even the Moog stuff he gets is typically made in China. Was hoping to get some USA-made components as of old. My hopes are dimming.

I wonder if USA-made wheel bearings can still be obtained for these cars.

I'd have thought that the similarities between these cars and the big Chevvies would have been our ace in the hole, but I'm thinking that was a false assumption.

Any guidance or "been there's" appreciated....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; October 6th, 2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old October 6th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Two potential sources:

Kanter

Jacksons Old Time Parts
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Orielly auto parts lists all the front suspension components for this you have to look in steering parts and chassis parts but they list it all.
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Orielly auto parts lists all the front suspension components for this you have to look in steering parts and chassis parts but they list it all.

When I go to Orielly's website, they show parts unavailable for a 64 Starfire. These cars are not supported any longer by the mainstream suspension parts vendors. I have only seen the parts sold by the antique specialty vendors like Kanter.
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, I stand corrected. Apparently a few of the parts (lower ball joint, upper bushings) are still stocked by Moog because they fit later model cars. The others shown by Orielly are from RareParts, which is another source like Kanter. Sit down before you check the prices, however.
Old October 6th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John,
You might also want to try looking at USA Parts Supply. They list a complete front end rebuild kit for 64 (all models) - bushings and ball joints. Catalogue is a free download but takes a bit of time. Look at page 18

USA Parts Supply
Old October 6th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Captain Starfire

Yeah, I'll be sitting... Thanks, folks. Will check out USA, Allan.

Beggars can't be choosers. I've been sitting ever since I first saw the prices for the bearings through Fusick, who is generally my first choice for the stuff they carry.

I (almost) don't mind paying high prices if they're quality parts and if they somewhat resemble the factory pieces; but I have doubts about both, unfortunately -- especially the latter.
Old October 6th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
I (almost) don't mind paying high prices if they're quality parts and if they somewhat resemble the factory pieces; but I have doubts about both, unfortunately -- especially the latter.
And you should, as the stuff from Kanter will be "white box" Chinesium for the most part. Sometimes it's all you can get, however. The Moog lower ball joints show up as $112 apiece.
Old April 8th, 2016, 12:28 PM

I must not have seen your request originally....

Just happened to stumble on it now --- I have 99 % of what you need -- including, get this, CENTER LINKS, all BRAND NEW --- AMERICAN MADE ---
so if you haven't done anything yet ---
CALL ME -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935 .... New York.....
Old April 25th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Captain Starfire

Just wanted to share a bit of good luck (that's what I attribute it to) I had with Rock. Bought a pair of Moog lower ball joints for the '64 Starfire and they are actually made in the USA. And they were cheaper than the AC-Delco Professional's that were also listed.
If I had my druthers, they wouldn't say "Moog" on the dust boots, but hey... I'll take it.