roofrail moulding

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM

roofrail moulding

What can I use to seal the roofrail moulding to the roof on my 67 Cutlass?There appeared to be some thin weatherstip tape when I removed them but I cant seem to find the proper thickness.
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM

If you can't find anything in a thickness you like you could use "Strip Chaulk" or Rope Chaulk. 3M makes it as well as other manufacturers. It's sticky and about the consistency of modeling clay. Will not dry out....even after years of being applied.

Comes in a small 4" or so x 12" box. The stuff is laid out in the box in 12" or so strips (about 1/4" thick or round). There's about 8 strips laying there on a piece of wax paper....but below that is about 5 or so more layers of the wax paper with the strips laying on top. What I'm getting at is that one box will be MORE THAN ENOUGH for your application...you can use it on other areas of the car later if you do a resto, etc.

Here's a link to the product and description on 3M's website....you won't have to buy a case. One box only and you should be able to get it at O'Reilly's (if not they should be able to order it). HDepot and Lowe's may have something similar in the plumbing section...usually called "Rope Chaulk" there. May only come in a grey color at HDepot and Lowe's.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...glGSBTX9SDWVbl

The Strip Chaulk will compress easily and spread out on top of the weatherstrip channel. Heck, you probably found something similar in there when you removed them...the factory usually applied a glob of this stuff in the corner where the roofrail strip meets the A pillar w/strip channel (they definitely did on 68-72 Abodies that had both these pieces).

Finally, the stuff remains pliable and should you ever need to remove the channels again it they will pull away fairly easily from the body...a lot easier to remove compared to using something like a two sided emblem adhesive tape which.

Last edited by 70Post; August 30th, 2008 at 10:25 PM.