Lifting Body from Chassis

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM

Lifting Body from Chassis

So I have decided to do a full on restoration of my '68 Cutlass and pull the body from the chassis and build her from the ground up. I should have just about everything disconnected and removed like steering, body mounts shifter, gas tank, bumpers etc. and ready to lift the body up. Questions I have now before I go too far:

I have not gutted the car. Still has all interior in the car and doors and windows still installed. Do I need to remove the windows to prevent them from cracking? and should I leave the doors on to keep from twisting the body?

Other question or favor I ask is if anyone has any good pointers or pictures for locations to bolt to, to lift the body up. I have been blessed and have a 10 ton overhead hoist at my work to lift it off but want to make sure I do not damage anything in the process. Thanks for all the pointers in advance.
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Wilson,
I used an engine hoist in the rear and I made a spreader bar so the chain went through the two holes ( there are oval covers on them) in the trunk, I then put another spreader bar ( 4 x 4) with holes to match. I then used a floor jack with another spreader bar and jacked up the front, then the back.

That said with an overhead, you will need some kindo of spreader bar as you are picking up the whole shebang at one go, I would definately leave the doors on until you swing it onto your body jig or rotisseree or whatever, I would look at getting some nylon container straps these are generally rated at 5Tons a piece. perhaps you can make a spreader out of a scrap I Beam or similar, you will need to pick up from the center of the body the fenders will be off, if you can get the interior out I would, also roll the windows down, mine was a convertible but just in case there is any twisting you won't damage the glass.

I really don't know if you need a spreader bar, it would be what I would think of, I believe you can attach the strapping at the firewall frame mounts.

my 2 cents anyway
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:29 AM

If you are doing a full resto, then interior and all glass would have to come out anyway, I would do it now. It will shave off a couple hundred pounds and lessen the chance of twisting. Convertibles are more likely to twist than hard tops. Good luck, post pics! Rob