i need a roof section for 68 cutlass coupe

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2007, 01:45 AM

i need a roof section for 68 cutlass coupe

okay i know its a long shot but i will ask anyways. ive decided its time to just admit that the front section of my roof is beyond repair so plan b needs to happen but i need to locate(in southern california)a front roof section for 68-72 a-body. the section i require is from the a-pillars to 8 inches back from the windshield channel. this is probly the only thing stopping this car from being completed.as im sure not a whole lot of people are gonna to be willing to cut up a car just for a small roof section,so what i need is the part to come from a parts car that is mangled but of course will have a good roof. i need a miracle so if anyone knows someone in my area that may have something please email me through the site. i am in los angeles,ca and the shop where the car resides is in simi valley,ca so i need it to be within 25 miles of those areas...ive already contacted memory lane in wilmington and they already laughed at me and im not gonna pay 4 grand for a 69 cutlass just to hack the roof off it
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Past Administrator

You are refering to your windshield leaks right? You must have some hella bad corrosion. I feel for you as I have struggled with corrosion before and it sucks. While you are at it, why not chop the top a couple inches. Do the Old Skool thing...............................just kidding. Hope you find what you need.
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

There's a good Olds guy in Austin, TX by the name of Patton that is VERY familiar with the procedure. He also knows a guy that ground out the cancer and made a new patch panel.

Anyway, email him at 70post@sbcglobal.net and he might could give you some tips/pointers.

Tell him I said "hi".

C.J.
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:55 PM

rust problem

little bit of corrosion would be an understatment....i can fit my hand between the main roof metal and inner structure...yup its bad. my real intention would be to just do the patch panel route and "lead" the **** out of it but oddly enough i have yet to find a body shop near where i work that will do it.seems there are no old school body guys in my area that want to touch my late 60's muscle car....the one shop that does do lead and other old school type body work is right down the street from the shop i work at and only does lead work on deuce coupes,rat rods,and lead sleds...they are very snooty and over priced and scoffed at the mention of me wanting to have them perform some work on my car.one guy said my car is worthless,and not worth putting money into.....i wanted to sock the guy.and as for the guy in texas ill have to email him with some pics as soon i can so he can see the extent...like you said texasred he might have some pointers and advice that will help me,the whole roof section replacement is a "plan b" that i really do not want to endure so the original plan would be the best way but i have had to many people say do this or do that....i think the only thing to do is put it to a vote and see what the peanut gallery says oh well i thank you for the info tex and thanks for the support oldsguy...i just want this thing to be done so i can drive it
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Past Administrator

Yeah, snobbishness is bad and it isn't fun to be on the receiving end of that. I have seen it and experienced it. At ROP they hate ricers (most of them), at HAMB (old skool) they hate muscle cars, at the K.C. chapter of O.C.A. they look down on B bodies, here we hate non-Olds (grin). It is everywhere. I just try to be understanding of other people and their choice in cars. That's what makes the world go round I guess.
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM

its in nother california but you should check out westcoast sheetmetal. they specialize in oldsmobile. they have a web site or you can get to them thru a link on gmsports.coms link page. i think they even sell just roof assembelies.
Old January 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Tom,

Great site! It's always nice to have another "digital tool" in my bag of tricks.

C.J.