Hurst shifter

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2010 | 08:07 AM

Hurst shifter

Ok I am looking for a shifter to fit my 70 cutlass. It currently has the turbo 350, with the center console. I am looking at getting a 4 speed trans from bowtie overdrives, bto 765r4.

But I want to have the cool hurst his/hers shifter in my olds to have the racing side, so I dont miss any gear changes!

I know hurst sells the shifter, but is it the same that came stock in the 442's and hurst olds? I would like to see it bolt in and then add the shift detent for a 4 speed. I have seen one for the hurst shifter, so I know its available. http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=429 this isnt one for the his/her shifter, but somewhere I saw one for it.

So my question is, is the shifter still available?? Or should I look for a used one?
Old October 2nd, 2010 | 08:24 AM

Ok the shifter isnt available anymore from hurst. I thought you could still get it from hurst??? Must of been years ago when I last looked for it! Wow! So I have to get a used one now. Has anyone else done this swap????
Old October 2nd, 2010 | 09:02 AM

You can post a parts wanted ad here for a used dual gate and watch ebay. They're still around. Then this company sells a kit with all the parts you need to convert a dual gate to a 4 speed automatic. John

http://www.shiftworks.com/cutlas.htm#7072
Old October 2nd, 2010 | 09:15 AM

Yah I just found that site too! Thanks! How much is a used one going for?
Old October 3rd, 2010 | 09:36 AM

Ok so my question is, will this bolt right in place of my old shifter? I imagine it would. Other then a new top plate right?
Old October 3rd, 2010 | 10:16 AM

You would need the correct dual gate shifter to floor mounting brackets, which I believe are being reproduced. Then you would need to cut out the opening of your console to fit the larger top plate in. There are cut lines on the underside of the console that the factory used for the different applications.

Price can be all across the board. One that is complete but needs cleaned up may be $200. Then one that's been restored or is pristine may be twice that. There's a lot of different models out there, so if you want to install it in a console be sure you get the right one. Many many years ago I purchased a dual gate from a 1968 GTO and cut a huge hole in my 1971 console to make it fit. Well.... when I was young and just learning about these cars I did more than one thing that I later regretted doing
Old October 3rd, 2010 | 11:43 AM

I saw on the year one site they can be had for like $680! WOW!

Im surprised the GTO shifter woudnt fit in the Olds??? So I guess the dual gate shifter that hurst sold as aftermarket would require some mods as well?

And on the cutting up the console, well at least you did it years ago right?? If you had just recently cut it up, it would of cosed more money to replace! You live and you learn
Old October 3rd, 2010 | 12:41 PM

The Goat shifter has a straight lever.
Old October 3rd, 2010 | 04:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
You can post a parts wanted ad here for a used dual gate and watch ebay. They're still around. Then this company sells a kit with all the parts you need to convert a dual gate to a 4 speed automatic. John

http://www.shiftworks.com/cutlas.htm#7072
Be aware that the Shiftworks kit to convert a Dual Gate to a 4 speed A/T is a little flaky. They change the ratio of the shift arm slightly to allow you to access OD with the shift lever in the N position. All the other gear locations are just a little closer together. You can only ratchet shift the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, and the adjustment to get the gears lined up with the ratchet detents in the shifter is very touchy. Be aware of these shortcomings before you decide to buy.