front windshield

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM

front windshield

the front windshield on my 71 cutlass is leaking just above the rear view mirror. we took it out scraped off all the old gunk sealed it up an reset it. it still leaks and i was told that if this happens i need a new windshield. is this true? and where can i get a new windshield for a 71 cutlass 4dr?
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Did you look for any rust/rot thru holes that may be there? What did you re-install the glass with?...did you use the black tar like stuff in a roll with the positioning blocks? Did you roll out the sealant evenly and then press on the glass to be sure it made contact all around? I am no expert but I doubt the glass is the problem.
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM

i didnt see any holes and there wasnt more than very little surface rust around the outer edge nothing that would prevent bonding. everything was cleaned and then the black goop/tar was applied and the windshield was kept in place with blocks. so im pretty stumped.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Did you use the black rolled/coiled seal?.....it comes in 3 different thicknesses. If you used the caulk/tube sealant the bead must be the proper thickness and even all the way around and you must press on the glass to seal all the way around. This is about all I know on the subject.
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM

To answer your original question; a local auto glass shop should be able to order you a new windshield. As Oldsmaniac suggested: If it isn't broken you should be able to seal it.

There are two types of sealant. Butyl comes rolled up like a tape. Urethane comes in a tube and is applied with a caulking gun. Neither will stick/seal to rusty metal. And the glass must be clean to get a good seal.

There is a product I've heard a few car buddies talk about. According to them it's like a thick 'slime' and you smear it over the w/s seam that leaks, let it dry, clean up the excess and it seals it up. You might ask about such a product at an auto body paint supplier.

Since you're considering a new windshield anyway why not just take the car by a glass shop. They may know a trick to seal it. Or having them remove and reseal it may be cheaper that a replacement.

Don
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

If the glass isn't broken, that is not the source of the leak. If you're lucky, it's simply a failure of the sealant between the glass and the metal pinchweld. DO NOT simply add silicone sealer. This is NOT a permanent fix and can often make the problem worse by trapping dirt and moisture.

This pinchweld area is notorious for rust on these cars. Completely remove the glass from the car and carefully check the pinchweld area for any rust. If there's surface rust, sand, prime, and paint before reinstalling the glass. This rust will cause the sealer to release, leading to a leak. If there are pinholes (or worse), you need to have them properly repaired with welded-in new metal. Nothing else will last for any length of time.

If this car has a vinyl top, it's possible that the rust hole is actually under the vinyl top material and not at the glass.