Front wheel "A" arm splash shields?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM

Front wheel "A" arm splash shields?

I bought some splash shields from OPG and lets say I'm less than pleased (actually I'm puked out) these things are plain slimy rubber? I can find fabric reinforced rubber easy enough but before I do all that does anyone else make ones that are even close? They'll make great templates but they're garbage!! Oh, and not like the staples are anything magical ....they gave me like 6? Come on, there are cheap staples right off the strip, they're made for wood and you couldn't give me a few x-tra, its not like they're anything special.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I got mine from In Line Tube. No issues with them and they gave me plenty of stainless staples to attach them with.

If you want to just use the ones you have for template, the material you need is called 'masticated rubber'. It comes in various thicknesses. Check your area to see if anyone is a supplier.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:52 AM

splashed

I don't want to use my $25 seals for templates, but if I have to I will .....what I WANT is to be sold something at least "close" to what belongs. I looked at FUSIK theirs looks like its correct? I'll check inline. I went with OPG because I was getting some pontirag stuff too ....one stop shop ...50 bucks wasted
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Chances are absolutely NONE of the repro parts you get will be the same as OEM. Do you still have the OEM ones that came off? They'd be perfect templates.

I just went to the garage and checked the reproduction A arm seals I got. They came from a manufacturer called REM and sold though ILT. They have a semi lustre finish, but are definitely not 'smooth and slimy'. They appear to be masticated rubber product. I do remember when I got them I put them back to back against the OEM ones and they were an exact size match. They were however, just a tad thinner - not much though. They are NOT flat soft rubber.
Pn# - INL11253- Pair $26.50 Set
1968-72 Oldsmobile - Cutlass Inner Fender A-Arm Seals - 2 pc.
Get stapled to the plastic inner fender well.

Sorry to hear about your experience with OPGI. They are pricey which is why I don't use them a lot. I see Supercars Unlimited also has them for 22.00. Supercars only deals in Cutlass parts.
Old May 20th, 2014, 12:34 PM

crap

I know NOTHING re-pop is going t be EXACTLY the same as OEM, but I do expect a certain level of 'close" esspesilly if you're selling it as a restoration part, and the seals I received were rolled up in 2" dia. tube (bag) and not even close. If the proper rubber is available, than use it. I knew right of the bag it wasn't even close. (in appearance, strength and size) I guess I'll try OPG's return policy next ?
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good luck with the OPGI return thing. Hope they treat you right. I've had my share of wrong parts from Fusick and their customer service was lousy. Had a couple problems with ILT shipped parts, but their customer service was outstanding. Parts Place is meh. Tamraz has been good to me for parts, price and shipping. Never had to return any of their stuff. Like you said, repro parts is a crapshoot.
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM
KDV

I just purchased some from supercars unlimited: http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/Fr...Kits-i328.aspx

I've got them but haven't had them out of the box to play with them yet - I'm still powder coating A-arms at the moment. The pattern looks correct, but I haven't inspected the material.
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:02 PM

arms

Even those pictured on the link are closer than what I got It seems I bought from the ONLY supplier that has the worst copy

thanks for the lead !!
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:56 PM

Inline tube are where I got mine from and they were fine. I trimmed alittle on top to fit better but would have been fine otherwise. Came with 20 staples to install but I just used my staple gun.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:28 PM
KDV

Here's the set from supercars.

IMG_20140521_241325_544_zpsb8b026ec.jpg

They're much thinner than the original - about an 1/8" thick.

IMG_20140521_241408_411_zpse1613ff8.jpg

IMG_20140521_241424_4131_zpsab5af3fd.jpg
Old May 21st, 2014, 05:21 AM

WHAT the H .... everyone's looks correct ! I guess I have to take a picture because mine are no where near as nice as those. Did that set have the small part for the rear of the wheel well? (or option)

thanks for the pictures

OH BTW...I mic'd my factory ones (the small petrified piece I could snap off ) and they're about .050 (50 thou. ) close to 1/16 of inch.

Last edited by cheven; May 21st, 2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:14 PM

I forgot who I actually bought my reproduction shields from, however they are also REM products. I was fitting them to NOS inner fenders which already had shields on them, but unfortunately they were ripped in a couple places from kicking around for so many years. Reading this thread made me go measure the thicknesses. The originals are about 0.102" and REM's are 0.088". I thought the REM's looked very good. I only trimmed a small amount off of two corners to make them fit the inner fenders tightly.

I didn't use REM's staples as I figured they would be a pain to bend over. I made some staples from tinned copper bus wire of a comparable gauge. Used the original inner fender holes. Worked out very well.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:59 PM

Don't feel like your the only one with the crappy set - i have one too. Came from OPG, too. I even put them on the car... They are wrong for a good resto, but for a driver like mine, I dealt with them.
As for staples I reused my old ones. Never removed them from the plastic wells, just cleaned them, mashed the rubber into them and bent them back.
I killed the shininess with a few blasts of undercoating (except over the A-arm).
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:15 PM

OPG took the shields back .....it wasn't "easy" but they did. The guy actually said they aren't supposed to be a restoration part .......WTF? It says in the title page "RESTORATION PARTS" ....not replacement. I lost 20 bucks in shipping better than 50 in parts I won't use. I suppose OPG might not be the go to place since their shipping and mandatory handling and insurance is like 15 bucks !! I needed some backing plate washers for both cars and like a dummy forgot that little part so I was scrambling to find some ..OPG 14 bucks PLUS 15 to ship? really ....do I really have to insure an paper washer? I hopped on fee-bay and In Line had um to me in a day !!! I'm sold.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:28 PM

Thanks I need some. Ordering mine from supercars.