Cutting front springs

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Cutting front springs

I have a 71 Cutlass and the front end sits too high. I don't know why since the springs look like they have the original tags on them. Anyway I am thinking of cutting a coil to get the front down. Is this possible to do without removing the springs? I have a spring compressor to loosen them between the A arms. Any suggestions?
Old October 10th, 2007, 01:21 PM

springs

Not a good idea. I have a 71 cutlass conv. and replaced the front springs and it sat too high for me too. I went with the 2 in lowering spindles. Much better and i didn't compromise the springs. The spring commpesor is tough to get in there to really compress them enough to get them out without separting the lower ball joint anyway. And I'm not sure how much you would need to cut to get the drop you want, plus it has to be pretty even on both sides. I like the lowering spindles. I got them from OPGI.
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:26 PM

cutting springs - solved

Thanks for the advice. I took a good look at the car and noticed the passenger side was sitting higher than the driver's side by about and inch. I got under there and noticed that when I had installed the spring after the front end job, I did not get the spring seated properly on the upper perch. It was a pain to re-compress it and get it in there but it finally popped in. Car sits fine now. No spring cutting!

Thanks -- Vince