Correct orientation of coil spring compressor?

Old March 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Correct orientation of coil spring compressor?

Is this roughly the correct orientation of the coil spring compressor... short and long hooks that is?

This is my first time doing front coil springs. These are Hotchkis 1901 1" lowering springs. The compressor tool is a cheap $35 thing made in Taiwan. The similar (and beefier tool) I rented that looks identical to this one would not fit... the big bolt would not go though the top shock frame hole.

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
No it's not a parts car!!

Looks about right, I wouldn't leave them compressed for a long time with just the tool. Get the upper control arm and spindle ready then compress it and install the spindle, make sure the spring seats in the lower control arm properly. Keep a jack under the lower control arm while you use the tool and keep it snugged up to the arm as you compress the spring. Use the same caution you did on removal.
Gary
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM

Thx. Actually, I never removed the originals... I had a friend across the street do it .

It is barely snug now. I am also not sure how the hook things will come out once connected to the spindle, as I had to put through the bottom of the coil.
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:41 AM

The hooks look correct on the coils. When I removed my springs I had the hex end of the shaft at the bottom and used 2 sets of hooks on opposite ends of the spring, but that orientation might not work for installation. The hooks are a bit of a pain to get in/out of the spring when it's installed, but just lift the compressor up and the hooks should fold inward. You may have to completely unthread the hooks from the compressor shaft and wiggle them around to get them out. They should drop through the opening in the lower control arm.

Let us know how this works out. I'll be getting to this point on my own project soon...
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Ben

the hooks will have no problem going through the large shock hole in the lower cntrol arm. Sometimes you have to fumble with it a little siince it folds up on itself.

The main thing is not the orientation of the comressor. It will grab and hold where it needs to. You need to make sure the flat part of the coil spring is UP into the frame pocket, and the lower part end of the coil wire fits in the correct "pocked" on the lower control arm.

If you look close at the stamping in the metal you will see a little pocket "end" where that last coil goes. There are also two small drain holes. They are there for draining & id of where the coil landed. Try to get it between those holes.

orient the coil spring as close to that as possible with it up in the compressor before bolting up the spindle & upper &lower control arms. You can do a little more alignment once they are in place before you loosen the compressor.
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldzy
Thx. Actually, I never removed the originals... I had a friend across the street do it .
Talk about standing behind your work!

I get to join in on the spring fun, soon...
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Can't say that I've ever used the compressor that way. I compress the spring off the car (with the hex end down) then put the LCA in place, install nuts, and remove the compressor. Have you verified that you can get the bottom of the spring seated in the LCA this way? Usually you need to angle the bottom of the spring inboard to get it into the LCA pocket.
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

That compressor isn't grabbing far enough down on the spring.
I compress them off the car too, I tried that that way once and it took three men, a boy and a big crowbar to get it into the lower control arm all the way.
When the spring is oriented correctly it should cover one of those "drain" holes and you should see the end of the coil in the other.

I just saw the exact same thread at Team Chebelle, whose side are you on Oldzy?
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Looks nice, I can't wait to start giving mine a go....I've been told the cutlass service manual shows everything, could help?.....
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Bluevista
That compressor isn't grabbing far enough down on the spring.
I compress them off the car too, I tried that that way once and it took three men, a boy and a big crowbar to get it into the lower control arm all the way.
When the spring is oriented correctly it should cover one of those "drain" holes and you should see the end of the coil in the other.

I just saw the exact same thread at Team Chebelle, whose side are you on Oldzy?
actually , I had the same problem , only could use like three or so coils , and had to compress them all the way together almost in order to get the spring to fall out when i lowered the control arm.....the reason i only used a few coils is .....everything is in the way and i could not get it to work any other way. This was my 1st attempt to remove springs and control arms and everything went pretty good , except for trying to get bushings and ball joint out I think it worked so well cause i had the front of the car on jack stands up high enough so i could lower the control arm all the way down and then the spring just fell out on the ground.