Change frame on a cutlass -68 cab?

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2014, 08:16 AM

Change frame on a cutlass -68 cab?

Hi

First post in this forum, but I have a question.
Bought a "new" car, a cutlass cab -68. The frame was bad (rusted) but the owner had a used frame from a 442 cutlass cab -69.

But to the problem, I found a vin number on the new 442 frame behind the left rear tire, but om my old I can't find any vin number on the same spot? And the old frame is so rusted so then I need to grind the hole frame trying to find it.

Is there a vin number on the -68 frame but on a diffrent location?
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:20 AM

It went both ways on the stamping of the frame, some had it and some don't. Its normally just on the left rear.
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:29 AM

Quick answer!!

Okej, so then I can grind off the vin number on the new frame. But do you think I should stamp my vin number from the old frame or just leave the frame with no vin?
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Teamcamber
Quick answer!!

Okej, so then I can grind off the vin number on the new frame. But do you think I should stamp my vin number from the old frame or just leave the frame with no vin?
I wouldn't grind the VIN number off the frame. Who cares if it's the wrong VIN # unless, of course, the frame was from a stolen car

BTW the "VIN" number behind the left rear tire isn't the VIN, it's the frame number. The VIN number is on top of the frame just behind the door. You can't see it without a mirror and even then probably not. My frame wasn't that rusty and I couldn't even find it

Last edited by allyolds68; August 7th, 2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:10 AM

The frame is not stolen!
Okej, do you have a picture you can show me so I know were to look?
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:26 AM

Look at this thread:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ive-frame.html

and I was wrong about just behind the door. It's on top of the frame just aft of the front body mount and just aft of the rear wheelhouse in 68

Last edited by allyolds68; August 7th, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just to clarify, the number stamped on the frame (and the block and transmission case) is not a 13-character VIN, it is a nine-character VIN derivative. The first character of the VIN derivative matches the first character of the VIN, and the last eight characters of the VIN derivative match the last eight of the VIN. What the VIN derivative does not have are the second through fifth characters of the VIN that tell you model line and body style.
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Just to clarify, the number stamped on the frame (and the block and transmission case) is not a 13-character VIN, it is a nine-character VIN derivative. The first character of the VIN derivative matches the first character of the VIN, and the last eight characters of the VIN derivative match the last eight of the VIN. What the VIN derivative does not have are the second through fifth characters of the VIN that tell you model line and body style.
I checked my old frame and didnt find any vin derivative anywere. Should I just stamp new numbers in the new frame? And just 9 character from my vin (first and last eight numbers), but were on the frame?
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Teamcamber
I checked my old frame and didnt find any vin derivative anywere. Should I just stamp new numbers in the new frame? And just 9 character from my vin (first and last eight numbers), but were on the frame?
The VIN (derivative) stamp on the frame is one of the checks used by law enforcement to see if there is a possibility that the car has been stolen. Why do you want to stamp it? As far as I know it's not a requirement, only a tool to assist in verifying if a dash VIN has been altered.

I supposed, if it makes you happy, go ahead and add it.

As far as where on the frame, have you read the thread I posted above?

If not, here's an excerpt posted by an Engineer that worked at Oldsmobile in 1968:

Originally Posted by daveh
Requirements were to have at least one fully legible VIN on the frame rails. We hit it twice with a huge machine that rolled the numbers into there. Even at that, sometimes the repairman had to manually stamp one or more of the numbers that didn't come through.

Frames were upside down, hanging from an overhead monorail conveyor the first half of the chassis line and VIN stamp was one of the first operations. It is on the drivers' side top surface between the body and frame and almost impossible to read with the body on. The front one is between the torque box (cowl area) and the trans crossmember. The rear one is behind the rear wheel kickup. PLacement varies a coupla inches fore and aft.

Last edited by allyolds68; August 11th, 2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:25 PM

Thank you, I read it too quickly before. Maybe I restamp the new frame, or mayby not, time will tell.