2" Spindle Drop

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2014, 06:18 AM

2" Spindle Drop

Hi,
I am doing some changes on my 68 442 convertible and one of thing I want to do is drop the front a couple of inchs. I think the best way is with a 2" drop on the spindle. There are lots of these out there for sale and wondering if anyone had any experience with doing this and which ones to use. Thanks Steve
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:23 AM

I'm going to install Ridetech drop spindles along with their control arms and coil overs.
Old October 26th, 2014, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the information. I am not replacing the control arms so the ridetechs are out. I see a few different ones on e-bay just wondering anyone has used any from e-bay. Steve

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
I'm going to install Ridetech drop spindles along with their control arms and coil overs.
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:23 PM

I would only buy from a well known vendor, a lot of "chinesium" junk out there..wouldn't lowering coils do the job?
Old October 26th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

I would only buy from a well known vendor, a lot of "chinesium" junk out there..wouldn't lowering coils do the job?
They are probably all Chinesium. In any case, the advantage of lowering spindles over cut or lowering springs is that the suspension geometry isn't changed at ride height. By using lowering springs, the suspension travel is biased in one direction. More importantly, the camber curve will be biased, which affects handling.
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:15 AM

If you're planning on using your stock suspension parts the lowering springs are a viable option. I've used them without any geometry issues.
Old October 27th, 2014, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I could go either way but with springs you never quite know how much lower the car will be. With the spindles it should be 2" on a 2" drop. I agree with Joe there would be less geometry problems with the spindles. I used hotchkiss springs on my vista and it sits perfect. I also agree these parts are all Chinese built just looking on some people who have used any of these parts and if they worked all right. Thanks Steve

If you're planning on using your stock suspension parts the lowering springs are a viable option. I've used them without any geometry issues.
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 70vista
Thanks for the information. I am not replacing the control arms so the ridetechs are out. I see a few different ones on e-bay just wondering anyone has used any from e-bay. Steve
You don't have to use tubular control arms with the ridetech spindles. Your stock control arms will work just fine with them. What you don't want is a stock height drop spindle. If your going to the trouble of replacing the spindle get the tall spindle to improve camber gain while your at it. Additionally some of the spindles available have made changes to the steering arm mounting to reduce bump steer.

Scott
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:38 PM

Thanks Scott,
When I go to the ridtech site in one spot they say oem arms work and in another spot they say aftermarket arms should be used. I guess I should email or call to verify. Steve
Originally Posted by Hawghead
You don't have to use tubular control arms with the ridetech spindles. Your stock control arms will work just fine with them. What you don't want is a stock height drop spindle. If your going to the trouble of replacing the spindle get the tall spindle to improve camber gain while your at it. Additionally some of the spindles available have made changes to the steering arm mounting to reduce bump steer.

Scott
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 70vista
Thanks Scott,
When I go to the ridtech site in one spot they say oem arms work and in another spot they say aftermarket arms should be used. I guess I should email or call to verify. Steve
Steve,

Yeah give them a call. The only reason I can think of that might preclude them from recommending the spindle with stock control arms is that you may run up against the maximum range of motion in the ball joint stud. You may need to add some good ball joints like Howe's (which wouldn't be a bad idea since your in there anyway). Gotta remember the control arm just connects two pivot points, it doesn't matter if it's tubular steel or a stamping.

Going back and looking at your original post you said "I want to do is drop the front a couple of inchs. I think the best way is with a 2" drop on the spindle." In fact it's actually the worst way. I'm not saying it's really bad or dangerous, just that there are other ways that are much better, but they are, harder or more expensive or both.

Finally do not buy spindles of questionable quality from an unknown manufacture on ebay. Your life is literally riding on it. I've had a car break a spindle, it's not fun.

Scott

Last edited by Hawghead; October 28th, 2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added content
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:56 AM

The Ridetech spindles will work fine with stock control arms, brakes,etc. they are taller than stock.
Old October 30th, 2014, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the information. I have an e-mail into ridetech on the spindles. I just did a frame off on this car several years ago so everything is new now in the front. I want to do it right and Scott is right I want quality stuff so will wait for ridetechs answer. I have used global wests stuff on one of my other cars so may call them also. Steve

The Ridetech spindles will work fine with stock control arms, brakes,etc. they are taller than stock.