WANTED – very good 1969-1972 Vista Cruiser wagon

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Exclamation WANTED – very good 1969-1972 Vista Cruiser wagon

WANTED – very good 1969-1972 Vista cruiser wagon.

I will remove this ad when I find a wagon. If you are reading it, it means I am still looking!

I am after a good reliable driver that I will not be ashamed to show off. Something I can drive everyday (20 miles each day) without worry and maybe do some light resto here and there. I already have a project so I do not want another one yet.
I do not drive much, rain is not too common, and I always try to stay out of bad areas, so it should have a good place here.

-MUST HAVE:

Almost NO rust
A little at the fenders, or some bubbling at the rear quarters is okay. No rust anywhere above the beltline though, especially at the top vista windows (and all other windows at that).
NO rust in the floors or rear wells!

Good rust free chassis.
Normal surface rust is okay, but nothing deep. Car must be solid. Good drivability is important, hopefully on a rebuilt front end. Brakes must be in good shape, as well as steering.

Good paint and body.
I do not do this kind of work and do not look forward to any bodywork, and especially no paint jobs.
Paint can be very good original or a quality repaint. A few small dings or scratches are fine.

PREFER NUGGET GOLD. Will consider another factory color (or similar) except green, yellow, orange, or light blue. Those look nice on a collectable, but I do not want these for a driver…
Nice custom paint is fine if tasteful. One-off wild paint jobs are not my style.

350 engine, auto tranny.
Mileage is important for a daily driver. No leaks. Needs to be a stock Olds engine, low original miles (under 100k maybe?) or a well broke in rebuild (like over 5k?) No radical cams or racing parts, as this will be a street only car. No fluid leaks more than a drop-a-day either.

Decent interior or better.
Again, no rust. I can do some resto, but not looking forward to it yet. Should have decent seats and headliner at least…

Oh - a kind, motivated seller!
If I am very interested, i will be asking for many photos and asking many questions if it far away from me. If I fly out to see it, it will mean I will be be driving it home. Not fly and look and fly home. I will request that the seller have the car checked out by a trusted mechanic (or himself if he is a wrencher) to help make sure the car is safe to drive a long distance. I will pay for this. If there is doubt the car can make it without a lot of work, then it is obviously not in the condition I am requesting.
When sending pics of it, have the thing washed and interior cleaned! I cannot judge the condition with a layer of paint dust on the inside or mud on the quarter panels!

-PREFERRED:

Working, reliable factory A/C.
It is life support here in TX. Aftermarket compressor is okay, but rest should be stock parts.
If A/C weren’t an issue, I would be driving the Ford right now that has no A/C.

Saddle or cream interior is prefered. I like these colors.

No woodgrain. However, I can live with it is in good shape and the paint does not clash with it.

Documents of work done, so I can schedule maintenance.

-NO:
Mega-watt stereos that take up lots of space, TV’s, wheels bigger than 18”, and the such. Those are not my style and will actually decrease its value to me, as I will have to remove them anyway.

So what will I pay??
--What it is worth. The better it is the more it is worth. I am not too limited. 15k for a really nice one is not unheard of.
Let me know what you are asking, where you are located (city / state) and send me a couple pictures and a short description.
I will contact you privately if I need additional info.

Thanks and good luck to me!
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Rob, Be sure to check for rust in the spare tire area, and rear floor.
Good Luck finding your next dream car..
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:20 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Good luck I'm sure it is out there but finding it that quickly might be tough. One thought how about richard's(gearheads) if it hasn't sold.
Larry
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM

Fyi

Rob,

You don't have 4 windows that go up and down, You have 5 [ 4 doors and a trail gate] not counting the vent windows in the front doors.

Mine has a 455 and gets terrible gas milage, I think Bluevista [Allen ] has a 350 and he's not happy with his gas milage also.
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Good luck I'm sure it is out there but finding it that quickly might be tough. One thought how about richard's(gearheads) if it hasn't sold.
Larry
I knew this is a longshot, but what's to lose? Figure I would give it a chance...

Perhaps there is someone out here who has been thinking on selling theirs but has not listed it. This could motivate them if they wish to do so.

Richards was thought of when I first saw it, but it needs bodywork, paint, and a motor rebuild - all things I do not have skills or time for.
I need something i can drive today, everyday. "Turn key" as I call it.
442harv's beautiful VC is still branded in my mind, but the only stopper is that it's '69 455 will suck my wallet dry in no time...

Jamesbo - what do you consider bad mileage? Numbers please...
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:51 AM

69 vista cruise

This one shows up on the Roanoke Va craigslist might get more pictures to see what it actually needs . http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/1813119684.html

This ad expired 8-12-10 (must be sold)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 12th, 2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: added sale status
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:54 AM

Here's a few JWO listings

69 flat top $7500.
Nick Kowell 708-710-9282 Ill. Oldstripower@yahoo.com

71 Flat top $2500 Utah car 95% rust free
Steve Kipp 847-502-4847 Ill. steve-kipp@msn.com -----This one has been sold back in May '10 (why still in JWO?)

72 Vista $4900
Lindy Jameson 931-864-8117 Tenn. ---No return phone call; assumed sold.

All 3 have A/C

Hope this helps you out!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 12th, 2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: added sale statuses
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:58 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Wrong year and moter but no rust(in his words) and a/c.
Larry
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1874546801.html
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks for the links - I have been too busy to do a lot of searches.

Originally Posted by OLDSRALLYE350
This one shows up on the Roanoke Va craigslist might get more pictures to see what it actually needs . http://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/1813119684.html
Needs body work and has too big a motor. Nice project, but I have one (or two) already.

Originally Posted by WTony
Here's a few JWO listings
Hope this helps you out!
Thanks! I saw those in the mag, but I had not found the time to write down the email addresses and contact them. This will motivate me.

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Wrong year and moter but no rust(in his words) and a/c.
Larry
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1874546801.html
This one looks nice, but will be too thirsty.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Registered

Mine isn't light blue, it's Nordic Blue.
The darker blue is Viking Blue, should play "Ride Of the Valkyries" when driving them.
I only know the Looney tunes version of that song.

Kill-ill the wabbit
Kill-ill the wabbit
Kill-ill the wabbit
'till-ill it's dead

That music was also used in that famous scene in Apocalypse Now, " I love the smell of burning wabbit in the morning".

I've been lusting after this one for a couple of months.

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/1836969799.html

It's been on Craiglist for awhile and I see it's on evilbay for buy it now too.
It's about 45 minutes from me, I'd offer him 3k cash if it checked out.
I like the being from Arizona deal, a couple of grand transport fees you don't have to pay if you can find clean southwest cars around here.
My Vista was transported from California to Wisconsin in '91 so I only had to to get it through a few states which was cool.

I filled my tank (for once) so I could check the mileage. I've never checked it on any of my cars before. It may be that takes a few days to go to half a tank on the gauge then forever to go to empty fuel gauge deals. It was below a 1/8 tank and only took 14 gallons to fill a 22-1/2 gallon tank so it could be. I've heard the 4 barrels gets better mileage?
It still seems to burn a lot of gas going by smiles per gallon though?.
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:18 AM

I might be near the 708/847 cars if you are interested in having someone take a look
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Mine isn't light blue, it's Nordic Blue.
Right. I like Nordic Blue.

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I've been lusting after this one for a couple of months.
http://youngstown.craigslist.org/cto/1836969799.html
That one looks nice! However, it is another thirsty one... Gotta have a 350 for city slogging around here...

I do not care where it is located; I will fly there to drive it home like I did the last one. If there is any question about it making it or not, then it would not fit the bill as a daily driver.

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I might be near the 708/847 cars if you are interested in having someone take a look
Thanks! I will keep that in mind!
Old August 11th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Rob,

I thought of you when I saw a Chrysler Country Estate wagon fer sale 440 with all the bells and whistles. Only it was black, black, black, black and black. It be nice in the Texas heat.

But it was a sho nuff Beast A land yacht extrodinaire
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Olds fanatic

72 vc

Here's another possibility...

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1884621295.html

good luck on your search
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:28 AM

i have a 72 vista, rebuilt motor, trans, suspension, brakes everything. saddle interior,under a 100 miles runs great, no rust totally redone got about 11k in it, asking $6500 chris 773 418 0330
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1001coins
i have a 72 vista, rebuilt motor, trans, suspension, brakes everything. saddle interior,under a 100 miles runs great, no rust totally redone got about 11k in it, asking $6500 chris 773 418 0330
Sounds pretty good so far - tell me more!

350 motor? Exterior color? What state are you in?
If it meets what I have listed above, i am all ears!
Post a picture or two if you can (interior dash and exterior) or email to me directly at
ry_ry75081 AT yahoo.com

Seeing pictures often answer many questions.
Thanks!
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:35 PM

It's summer up here Rob, so don't count out Canada as a nice place to visit. While you're here you could check out this Vista...
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ200603584
It's been on kijiji for at least six months now. He started at $5500 I believe it was. Now it is $4500, but he has been asking that for about two or three months now. It looks to be one hell of a deal.
You could probably drive it home for the test...

Duane
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM

Rob, If ya want any SS II wheels [with bolt on centers] to dress her up. I've got a plethora. IMHO They make a wagon look mo better [Sorry Blue]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 074.jpg (68.6 KB, 57 views)
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM

the 72 has no woodgrain, the color is a bronze with a white top, 350 auto trans, new brakes front and rear and steering, reconditioned gas tank, rebuilt fuel tank and dash gauges, 15" cutlass rims, simple stereo, new ac compressor all stock i need to charge it, runs beuatiful. i live in chicago, besides charging the ac it is a brand new car. i will send pics tommorrow chris
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:06 PM
BobsW32

Rob

If you don't find exactly what you are looking for I have a 1970 Cutlass Flat top wagon with 22,000 miles on it....I bought it with 14,000 miles on it and there is NO rust and car is like new........350 two barrel, turbo 350, steering, air, and disc brakes. I added dual exhaust and a bolt on trailer hitch that I used to tow a restored 1950's aluminum 14 foot runabout........
It is the light green color. and I am Richmond, Indiana
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM
BobsW32

Rob

you can go here on this site and see a couple of pictures

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...top-wagon.html
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bobsw32
Rob

That is one sweet looking wagon..... I'm drooling here!!
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
...Since my ladyfriend is without a car right now (thanks to another ignorant “undocumented immigrant”) ]...
I had my '84 Delta done in that way and my wife's Subaru also that way! Worse part is, you can't sue them 'cause they have nothing!!!!
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 69Rman
It's summer up here Rob, so don't count out Canada as a nice place to visit. While you're here you could check out this Vista...
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ200603584
Duane
Very nice but I can see some bodywork that will need to be done soon. Looks like original paint, and I question rust around the windows.
I will add it to my list though.

Originally Posted by 1001coins
i will send pics tommorrow chris
Looking forward to them, Chris. Has the A/C been set up for R12 or 134? I will be asking you lots on what was done on the A/C later.

Rob

Can I place my order for any that i see here?? This was kinda like giving a starving dog a rubber bone...

Bob, your car looks silver, not green! Is that a factory color? Looks sharp as a tack! Another to add to the list. (Boat is included, right?)

Well some of the JWO ads should have been removed months ago, as two of the cars were sold, one back in May. I edited the posts above withthe statuses.
Some listed on this site were sold and I closed them.
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM
BobsW32

Rob I would make you a packages deal and the wagon and boat , motor and restored trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM

Rob I would make you a packages deal and the wagon and boat , motor and restored trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to talk...

I can see it now - driving the wagon home half way across the US, pulling a boat, stopping at every lake along the way.
Of course i would need to cruise the great lakes, first.
Luckily the wagon would hold the fishin' poles and lots o' beer.

Now how cool would that be?

Please PM me some more details, and maybe email me a few bigger pics.
ry_ry75081 AT yahoo.com

So how long is the boat and trailer combined (tongue to prop)?
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM

I always favored Vistas but after seeing Bobsw32 flattop.... man that thing is gorgeous and perfect for a cruiser, 350 2bbl with AC!!! WOW!
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Sure you don't want something a little older?? If not buy this bring it home and then trade it to Gearheads78 (Richard) for his 72. He has already expressed interest in a trade for this car and lives in TX.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...factory-c.html

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; August 13th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Rob, If ya want any SS II wheels [with bolt on centers] to dress her up. I've got a plethora. IMHO They make a wagon look mo better [Sorry Blue]
No reason to be sorry Jamesbo, I just like to be different.
They've been saying I was "different" ever since I can remember?
As I've said before, I have one of the few Vista Cruisers on earth that doesn't have an OAI hood and/or SS wheels.

Make me a very substantial offer I can't refuse for mine Rob.
I guarantee mine's cleaner than anything you'll ever find, even if it is the dreaded light blue, anything's better than green.
Have you ever sat in the driver's seat of a wagon Rob?
Make sure you'll fit okay because there ain't much room with that pillar and little door.
Tilt helps a lot, buckets help more if you swing with that modification crowd like Jamesbo.
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:41 AM

Wrong year Rob but close by

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...US_Cars_Trucks
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM

Just saw pics of the '72 VC I sold awhile back, new paint, and all new original interior, it's beautiful. He said it might be ready for the NTOC Zone Show..
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Not a bad deal for the $$. I do not like the preferred payment as a wire transfer though; sounds scary...

I'm still on the prowl for a 69-72 though. Alice is still car-less...
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Rob: What do you have against '68 Long Tops? Surely they could be in the mix!!!! Ours is a 350 2BBL, right at 105K, nothing done to the motor. The 2BBL was reworked two years ago, and polished inside for better air flow, looking to increase mileage......trip to Dearborn to the Nationals we averaged abut 17.9 the whole trip. Keep in mind there were some higher speeds involved, running in a caravan w/our group! A 2 speed 300 A/T, and the rear end is in the process of going out; no idea what gears are in it. Am planning on converting to a 350 A/T and a different rear end this winter, for our trip to Reno next year (having it done, if you know my mechanicial abilities at all). Oh. It's not for sale! LOL! Just trying to give you some MPG figures for comparison. Good luck on finding your car, and selling the Caddy to the lady friend. See you at the Zone Show.
Aron
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM

http://www.thebiglot.com/ad_auto.asp...ER&PN=1&AT=1&&

http://www.thebiglot.com/auto_photos...&SP=Wisconsin&

here is a couple
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Nothing against all the other years - I like them all. I just love the looks of the 69-72 the most. I am also familiar with them more and many of my spare parts will interchange with them.
It has been my dream car for a while, so might as well do it right. If I had the room, i would have a 66-68 also. Gotta prioritize for now while stuck in a cramped city lot.

The more I think about it, the more I DO want the raised vista roof! I think that is such a unique feature!

Just gotta find one thats mostly restored, or completely restored!
I might need to pay Blue a visit soon......
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:43 AM

What's your budget??
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by StickW31
What's your budget??
Whatever it is worth. The better it is, the more I will pay.
No limit if within reason. For that reason, I will not be considering B-J or those things...
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:20 AM

Isn't there a way to search through ALL craiglist ads at one time? I remember hearing about a way but not sure if it was legit...
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:31 AM

Isn't there a way to search through ALL craiglist ads at one time? I remember hearing about a way but not sure if it was legit...
Try this Rob. I think BlueVista posted this one time.

http://www.searchallcraigs.com/
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:42 AM

craiglook.com

http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=vista+cruiser

Quick Reply: WANTED – very good 1969-1972 Vista Cruiser wagon