Wanted: 70-72 Cutlass 2Dr

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Question Wanted: 70-72 Cutlass 2Dr

I'm looking for something to use to build my dreamcar. Nothing special, I don't need a real w-30 car, 442 or anything like that. It does however have to be in good shape as far as the body goes and it can't be a notchback car or post car. I'll post a pic along with this ad showing what I eventually want to end up with. A 1970 would be ideal (the car in the pic is a 71 but you get the idea) But I can change the bumpers and lights to get the look I'm after.
I'm waiting on my bonus check from work and it'll be 3 to 4 weeks before I have cash in hand but I need to start looking now. I've had a few decent Oldsmobiles over the years but I never could really afford to have exactly what I wanted til now. The kids are almost grown, I'm single again, I don't owe anything to anyone and it's time to buy something for myself.
If I have to drive across the country and haul home a truck and trailer load of parts and a body to start with then so be it. I was kinda hoping to get to do alot of the work myself anyway. I've been working on cars since I was a kid and something like this could keep me entertained for the rest of my life.
Some things I'd really like to find would be, a car with a factory vinyl top (or at least the chrome trim to install myself) A 455 (in the car, out of the car, seperate, dosent matter) OAI hood (real w25, fake reproduction, or whatever I can find). Black bucket seat console interior or at least a car with a good black dash and all the other stuff seperate.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated! Someone here on the board may even have what I'm looking for sitting behind thier garage. My e-mail address is truckpilotdan@yahoo.com and I check it several times a day except on weekends. I live in the northeastern Ky, southern Ohio area so I could drive just about anywhere to pick something up.
My total budget will be around 10 to 12K right now and if I have to spend more for parts I can always do that later as the money is saved. Some rust would be ok but bondo is a no no. I want to be able to see what I'm getting and not be surprised later when it's time to paint it. I would consider myself to be a fairly handy mechanic but a very terrible body man. That's what friends are for right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg

Last edited by W-30 Dan; March 24th, 2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM

I'm overwhelmed with excitement right now. There's a 1972 442 thats belonged to a friend of mine for as long as I can remember. It's been one of those sunny day cars treated like a member of his family and I never thought he'd consider parting with it.
I bumped into one of his coworkers yesterday and he mentioned that the guy was talking about selling the car. I called him up and he priced it to me over the phone. The hair stood op on the back of my neck! I can't believe it! I had something totally different in mind but a real 442 car would be welcome in my garage anyday. Especially one in this condition. I swear I feel like I just won the lottery. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Pardon me while I go jump up and down in my garage!
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well congrats on the find!!! I feel your excitement all the way over here, LOL!! I am happy for you!!
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM

wow, good for you, always nice to hear good things happening to people - especially in this economy
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Yes, I hope it works out for you. If so, you'll have to post pictures when you get it home. John
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:57 PM

Went and looked at the car today, it's everything it was 15 years ago and then some. You can still eat off the frame rails and theres no bondo in it at all. I crawled around under it and couldnt even find a single bit of rust. It has a 12 bolt, rear bumper w/cutouts, black buckets w/console, real GM OAI hood, big block, original 350 and three sets of different kinds of wheels go with it. I think he said he had a couple cherry NOS fenders that will go to. He said he'd dig around and give me every Olds part he has. I'm on cloud nine...cloud nine I tell ya! The car could use a paint job. It is an original Flame orange/ white interior car but it has been painted a dull maroon color and the interior is now all black. I'm thinkin twilight blue with a black vinyl top and some black stripes. Hehehe...and a set of Centerlines. Vola! My dreamcar!
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Pics please, good luck with it. "big block original 350"?
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Registered Luser

Good Luck! If it falls through, I have this if interested....
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...f-85-sale.html
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Olds

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Pics please, good luck with it. "big block original 350"?
The car has a 455 in it now but he has the original 350 in the garage that will go with the sale. I know that sounded odd but I was in a bit of a hurry.
I was gonna snap a couple pics while I was there but figured that would be a little rude. If the car was outside I might have but not in his garage.
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM

I gotta say, the car in that link is nice. That being said, I'm open to anything. The owner of the maroon 442 knows this so I'm not playing dirty.
The asking price for the 442 is pretty steep. The car needs things that, if done the way I want it done, would put my investment well over 20K. Correct cars are nice but I gotta be honest, thats just not my thing. I've owned a few of these cars and enjoyed them for what they were and passed them on to others.
Until my bonus check hits the bank in a few weeks I'm open to anything. I'm not a tire kicker. I'm going to buy something BUT I wont make that decision until I have that cash in my hand. Like I said, about 3 to 4 weeks and until then I'll be giving everything a look so if you know where something is for sale that sounds like something I might be interested in, let me know. Thanks folks, your opinions and info are greatly appreciated, thats why I came to this site.
Old March 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM

How long has your friend owned that car. Is it in KY. I wonder just because it sounds like a 442 my sister owned 20 plus years ago. I doubt if it is, but I was just wondering.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM

The 442 came from across the river in Coal Grove Ohio (Ironton area) back in the early 80s sometime (probably around 1983 or 1984). The person he got it from was moving to Germany I think. I believe he was in the Army. His wife/girlfriend/sister or some other relation to him sold the car to my friend. It was what he called "some weird bright pumpkin orange" with white coloum shift interior and a front bench seat. At that time I believe it still had the original 350. The 442 rear bumper was added later on as was the OAI /Ram air hood. Since he got the car it's been redone a couple of times and currently lives in Flatwoods ky. This is all the history I know about the car right off the top of my head.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Yeah that's not my sisters, but I had to ask. It does sounds a lot like it. She sold it around 89. Her car had the OAI hood already other then that the cars sound the same.
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Yeah that's not my sisters, but I had to ask. It does sounds a lot like it. She sold it around 89. Her car had the OAI hood already other then that the cars sound the same.
If she lived in Boyd county, I know of another one that got butchered for parts around about that time. It turned into a red w-30 clone car with hood, wing, black stripes, Centerlines, and all that. It left for the Lexington area sometime in the early to mid 90s and pretty much disappeared.
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:04 AM

No she lives in Hardin Co. I think someone that was in the army bought it so no telling where it is, or if it is still around.
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Olds Nut

i have an all original 70 sx w/ just 1 repaint and rechrome bumpers for 10k.
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM

I have a '72 Cutlass S 2dr hardtop. Matador red, Black vinyl top and interior. Extremely nice 64k miles un-restored. Rust-free from estate with long term dry storage. Super Stock 1 wheels, BFG raised letter tires, P/S, P/B, A/C, AM, light group, etc. Car is in maryland and price is $8500.00. Call Dave 410-206-9427. You will NOT be disappointed! UN-RESTORED ORIGINAL
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:02 PM

Hi, I have a 1971 Cutlass "S" that is now for sale!! I have 15K invested in it and it still needs some body work and paint and some interior work, it is a numbers matching car and I will post it on this site as soon as I figure out how to do it, it is a red car with a black interior, the motor is a 350, recent rebuild punched out .30 over, all of the suspension rubber is new, shocks, springs, calipers, drums, radiator, battery, tires and wheels and more! if you are interested my email is American-Muscle@roadrunner.com
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:27 PM

hey ive got a 1971 cutlass for sale
i already have the 1970 front bumper for it as well...it was vinyl top but no longer is.

It has a 1974 olds rocket motor in it, fiberglass hood as pictured in your pic...interior is stripped...body work is all done and done well...asking $6600
Old April 27th, 2011, 08:29 PM

Not sure if I let you know before or not. I have a 1970 sutlass sx455, vinyl top, original for sale (cincinnati area). runs and drives great, if interested let me know