Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

For Sale - 1972 Oldsmobile 442 - real deal, unrestored project car 455 auto, in KC

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2018, 09:46 AM

For Sale - 1972 Oldsmobile 442 - real deal, unrestored project car 455 auto, in KC

Selling my original 1972 Oldsmobile 442 - low production number, car #00012 for 1972 lineup, with August 1971 build date!

Previous owner owned car for 45 years (1973-2018) Clean Missouri title still in his name, so new owner will be 3rd registered owner. This is an original 1972 Oldsmobile 442, not a clone, and I offer a 100% money back guarantee when I say that. We know the cars full history since 1973, when it was bought by my friend Steve when it was only a year old. Factory orange paint with white decals and interior, car has some rust (mainly in rear quarters) as expected with any car of this vintage, however this car has been off the road and parked since 1993, and has remained original and un-messed with. This car has never been apart, never been restored, your looking at an original, and they are only original once. This car currently has a non-matching 455 from another car (done in the 80s when the original motor lost oil pressure) I do have the numbers matching 455 block & its included with the car. The Automatic Transmission is original and numbers matching, and the rearend is original to the car as well. The car has vintage ET mags on it, and has since the 1970s. I will throw in a set of 14" Olds Rally wheels with the sale as well, with tires that hold air. This car shows its age, but not like most other 47 year old cars... This one was covered up and "mothballed" (I literally took a box of moth-***** out of the back floorboard) and off the road since 1993. It was parked and turned off, and never started again.

I have not tried to start it, nor have I taken any steps to get the car running again. There are too many steps involved to properly get a car that has sat this long running again, and I haven't started any of them. I bought this car and planned on fully restoring it. Like I discussed in my introduction to the forum yesterday, I first tried to buy this car 19 years ago off a family friend... Owner would NEVER sell it to anyone, and a lot of people tired trust me! Earlier this year I was informed by the family they were going to sell the 442. I was shocked, and I immediately bought it for his full asking price. I brought the car home and have it up on jack stands in my driveway, where I took all the pictures you see now. Car is pretty solid, good solid frame, some rust in normal car places, lower quarters, under the trunk deck lid, ect. This car has never been apart or restored, and it is very above board in the world of project cars. This would make an EXCELLENT 442 PROJECT for someone looking for one.

1972 Oldsmobile 442 - car # 00012 - 455 big block, auto on the floor with buckets and center console shift, bucket seats, white interior, factory clock-tachometer, Air CONDITIONING, factory rear bumper with exhaust cut-outs & "TRUMPET" tips, factory rear sway bar, front power assist disc brakes, factory 442 badges still on grill, fenders, trunk, and glove box lid, original spare in trunk with some extra goodies, including complete factory jack setup. This is a beautiful car... As it sits or fully restored. I am a MOPAR GUY, and already have 2 other full car restorations in front of this one... and after some lengthy conversations with the wife , we feel that this car belongs to an Oldsmobile fanatic that can garage this car and get it back on the road again long before I will be able to. Would like to find a buyer I can keep in touch with once in a while about the car, and let Steve (the previous owner that owned this car 45 years) know when his 442 is back on the road again.

I live on the outskirts of Kansas City, Missouri - Centrally located in the middle of the USA. I can store this car for as long as needed, allowing buyer plenty of time to make plans to pick it up in person, or have a shipper come for it. I can help load the car, not a problem. Car rolls good in neutral, no locked up wheels or stuck brakes to worry about. Clean Missouri title in hand, both original keys in hand. I am asking $8000 USD for my 442, and as a car guy I feel that is VERY FAIR for this car in this condition. I know I could not replace it once it sells, hard to find good cars that haven't been messed with. I want to find this car a good home.

Old March 6th, 2018, 09:57 AM

OK finally figured out how to load several pictures... Car is beautiful in the sun with that orange paint popping, I should of took all the pics in the sunlight, the rest of the pictures the car appears darker due to the lighting / overcast outside. Also, I did not wash or detail this car, at all, so it is DIRTY and DUSTY. I removed a car cover off of it and took some pictures, those are dust spots on the car in the first two pictures, not faded paint. Car has been sitting last 25 years and has not been washed or cleaned in that time, only covered with a car cover. I have some more pics available if needed, if anyone is interested in purchasing this car feel free to contact me.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the hospitality of the Oldsmobile crowd.

Last edited by Screamncuda; March 6th, 2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old March 6th, 2018, 11:21 AM
delete

Hope it foes to a good home. GLWTS
Old March 8th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Is it a "U"code car? If so U should be in the vin, one of the ways to verify its a factory 455 car in '72. Boy it almost looks like it could take very little to get a running driving car. I'll have to think about this one.
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:46 PM

Yes U code

Originally Posted by jon69olds
Is it a "U"code car? If so U should be in the vin, one of the ways to verify its a factory 455 car in '72. Boy it almost looks like it could take very little to get a running driving car. I'll have to think about this one.
Yes it is a U code car.

​​​​​​
Old March 9th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Very cool. Definitely peaks my interest, I wonder what transportation would cost?
Old March 9th, 2018, 11:42 AM

cool car
Old March 9th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Randy C.

I've never seen that early of a time build code on the trim tag as this one. #12 off the line is pretty cool! Someone is going to have an interesting car!

Randy C.
Old March 11th, 2018, 04:21 PM

A great color combination and nicely optioned. Surprised to read original engine is still available after it was replaced years ago. Someone is going to get a nice car to restore. Did not see many with the standard hood and stripes.
Old March 13th, 2018, 06:38 AM

*Update- 455 turns over with a wrench on the crank pulley, it is not locked up. I believe if someone changed the spark plugs, oil & filter, battery, and put fresh gas in, this car would be running again.

I would take $7000 for my 442 as it sits, and that includes both sets of wheels.
Old March 13th, 2018, 02:13 PM

$6500 if I keep the ETs
Old March 16th, 2018, 05:44 AM

I have found the car a GREAT home in KC area, with a local Oldsmobile Man... THANK YOU
Old March 16th, 2018, 06:04 AM

Good to hear. Hopefully it will be brought back in original condition and the new owner sends updates to ClassicOldsmobile. The Flame Orange paint with white stripes and white interior is a great combination. I like it with the standard hood and stripes.
Old April 8th, 2018, 10:42 AM

Well, my family is officially moving out of state... And I still have this 442 in my driveway. Had a local Olds guy that was suppost to be my buyer & was suppose to pick it up, but its been 3 weeks now, and with no money down, I am not holding the car any longer for him at this point. CAR IS STILL FOR SALE!!!

I will take $6000 for it, bottom dollar, cash price. SOMEONE COME AND GET IT! I will be putting olds rally wheels on and keeping the ET mags, but the ETS can be bought as well if you had your heart set on them. Super cool project car, just out of long-term storage. Clean title and keys and hand.
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:01 PM

PM sent
Old April 8th, 2018, 06:19 PM
EngineErnie

PM sent
Old April 18th, 2018, 01:01 PM

Price Drop - now $5500 and you get BOTH sets of wheels, the ETs and the Rallys! Very fair price... Someone come take this car home...
Old April 19th, 2018, 07:03 PM

That is a great deal. If not looking for a donor car to rebuild a '71 442, I would be interested in the 442. Really like the color combination and the standard louvered hood that is not seen routinely nowadays.
Old April 19th, 2018, 07:48 PM
HX3

PM Sent. Mark
Old April 26th, 2018, 08:51 AM

The 442 has been SOLD - officially! It is going to a great home, a very special thanks to the buyer. Happy Motoring you Olds guys...