Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Ruff W-30 on BAT, woof.

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2022, 01:25 PM
Old School Olds

Ruff W-30 on BAT, woof.

Not mine.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...e-442-w-30-15/

Old March 1st, 2022, 02:03 PM

Almost every pictures shows at least one issue!
No evidence of the hood lock brackets on the radiator support. My guess would be that the radiator support has been replaced.

Old March 1st, 2022, 02:50 PM

Didn't somebody post a while back that they spotted this on a trailer in NY/NJ area?
Old March 1st, 2022, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by scrappie
Didn't somebody post a while back that they spotted this on a trailer in NY/NJ area?
I thought there was a posting about one being driven and "some one" on this site said they had shipped one to a "new owner" on L.I. ?
Old March 1st, 2022, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by v8al
No evidence of the hood lock brackets on the radiator support. My guess would be that the radiator support has been replaced.

Yeah judging by the picture of duct tape on hood tongue it probably was in a little fender bender.
Old March 1st, 2022, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scrappie
I think you are right. Someone did post about seeing a dark green W-30 on a trailer.

My brother sent me that link. Man that car needs Everything. Grilles bumpers hood just to start. Rust is always worse when you start to get into it. Doors look bad. Fenders. Deck lid. Etc etc etc. Curious what it will bid to. Has the drivetrain. Dual gate gauges and sport mirrors. Car is trashed.
Old March 1st, 2022, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by v8al

Good eye.
I will say at least the seller has honest pictures.
Is that the correct master cylinder?
Old March 1st, 2022, 04:16 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Is that the correct master cylinder?
It looks like the original on my 1970 Vista Cruiser.

Old March 1st, 2022, 05:34 PM

W30

Old March 1st, 2022, 06:24 PM
Old School Olds

I thought I saw this POS somewhere before. Thanks Vader.
https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/fo...nion-Grove.php
Old March 1st, 2022, 06:28 PM
Banned

Ridden hard and put away wet. Man that car is beat.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 08:03 AM

This car is about 10 minutes away from me. I would get it running and drive it as a beater.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tt455
This car is about 10 minutes away from me. I would get it running and drive it as a beater.
Exactly. Unfortunately it will demand more cash than I would start building a beater.
Old March 3rd, 2022, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
...... Curious what it will bid to. ..............
Market of late has been nuts for finished examples. Star eyed car guys typically see their projects as what they can build them as and not as they are today. My guess is this car with the matching drive train will bring mid twenty s.

What's your estimate?
tc....
Old March 3rd, 2022, 08:39 PM

I think mid 20's is a pretty good guess but who knows. It is a shame that it looks like the heater core took out the front right floor (under car pic of right side shows a lot of green carpet). I think the car would be a steel in the mid teens. As stated repair the bad rust, spot in/ blend in patina paint, get the interior in decent shape and cruise. Sure to draw a crowd where ever and be a car that you can drive where ever without fear of damage. Curious, did anyone else notice the intake pic? Shouldn't a 70 intake be cast "oldsmobile" and not just "olds" or did that chage come midway into the 70 production year. I reaiize the valve covers are backwards so the engine has been worked on and the intake could have been changed.
Old March 4th, 2022, 06:26 AM
Gary

Engr

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
Shouldn't a 70 intake be cast "oldsmobile" and not just "olds" or did that chage come midway into the 70 production year.
My late-January car had an intake cast in December 1969 that showed OLDS.
Old March 4th, 2022, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vader
The green car was missing the intake, carb, dist, and air cleaner when sitting in WI for decades. Who knows what the inside of that engine looks like.
I would bet the motor is seized and possibly junk, which is why the seller has decided to let it go after owning it for 3+ years.

*Side note: Years ago, I bought this black/black w30 4speed w/ broadcast card. Nothing on the car matched and every panel was bad. Wrong motor, trans, rear.
Years later it appeared at R&K motors in Charlotte.... "all original, numbers matching, blah blah blah" ask was 154K and it sold.
Be careful out there...

Wow crazy. Truth though. Watch it out there.

Good info on that green car. Good looking out for people and letting us all know.
Old March 8th, 2022, 03:41 PM

Final bid of $20,250.00 and reserve not met. Jumped a little under $12K in the final 30 mins of the auction. Given the actual history of the motor described here and in the comments in the auction, I think the price was more than fair. Wonder what the owner thinks it is worth?

Last edited by Loaded68W34; March 8th, 2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old March 8th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Banned

20 Grand 🤯
20 Grand turned down? 🤯🤯

I just don't get it. WOW 😳

Coming soon to an auction near you 👍👍
Old March 8th, 2022, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4+4+2=10
Market of late has been nuts for finished examples. Star eyed car guys typically see their projects as what they can build them as and not as they are today. My guess is this car with the matching drive train will bring mid twenty s.

What's your estimate?
tc....
Ding Ding Ding... 🔔
Old March 10th, 2022, 05:50 AM

Thats a dreamers money pit, nothing more nothing less. A rebody at best
Old March 10th, 2022, 10:39 AM

On BAT they commented that it would take $150,000+ to restore this vehicle correctly.

Owner bought it for $5k in Wisconsin and towed it over to the east coast and is trying to flip it for $30k
Old March 10th, 2022, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pettrix
On BAT they commented that it would take $150,000+ to restore this vehicle correctly.

Owner bought it for $5k in Wisconsin and towed it over to the east coast and is trying to flip it for $30k
Man I hate flippers. Fortunately websites like this will help on a car like this. The engine sat without an intake for how long? Then some scammer bolts one on to cover up a more than likely worthless engine. How do people sleep at night?? Seller is soul less.
Old March 10th, 2022, 12:08 PM

I could care less if someone buys and flips, their money to do what they want..looking at cars and buying cheap enough to make solid profit isnt easy, lots of time and effort to find just one.. I doubt you could get that car concourse restored for 150,000. Every damn panel needs replaced other than the rook, who knows about the frame, guarantee all the floors and trunk pan, every part of the suspension system. Shops charge 100.00 per hour, that includes shopping for parts, research, finding parts, everything.. Talking to Garner restoration who is one of the very best they tell me average resto is around 125-130k, thats a car that looks 5 times better than this load of crap.. as I said, its a dreamers money pit
Old March 11th, 2022, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
I could care less if someone buys and flips, their money to do what they want..
Classic car flippers have ruined the hobby and market. That's a fact. The flippers don't give 2 sh*ts about the car, it's all about money. The true car enthusiasts had a passion and care for the vehicles. The flippers made the cars more unattainable for the enthusiast. It over priced the market and now these cars are so expensive, the enthusiasts can't afford them and now it's only the wealthy who buy and sell these cars. They turn into garage queens and museum pieces to show up at Mecum and Barrett Jackson.

Back in the 80s, 90's and even early 00's, the classic muscle car market was totally different than what it has become today. I lived it and seen it firsthand.

The seller of this W-30 bought it for $5k in Wisconsin and now is trying to flip it for $30k, all while doing absolutely nothing to the car except towing it from Wisconsin to the east coast. It's a rotted out pile of garbage but it will inflate the car market pricing.

It is what it is but flippers have destroyed the classic muscle car market for the youth. Fortunately, GM, Ford and Dodge created modern "muscle cars" which the youth of today are going after but the 60's and early 70's cars are not being sought out by the youth of today. Just older dudes with a lot of money but a lot of them don't care for the cars or drive them. It's all about making money, bragging rights and garage queens.
Old March 11th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Banned

Amen pettrix. Amen.
Old March 11th, 2022, 01:18 PM

You have a point pettrix
Alain red W-31
Old March 11th, 2022, 02:28 PM

Well said, pettrix.
Old March 11th, 2022, 02:59 PM
Banned

Seriously if you do the math. Needs every panel. Probably more than just that. We all know that rust is always much deeper than what you can see. The amount of rust that you Can see here is enough to scare away most already. Can't even imagine how much more there is.

The motor sat without an intake for who knows how long In Wisconsin. Someone slaps an intake on and says look. Factory. Knowing that the engine is trash. Knowing it. That is why I cannot stand a flipper. Scammer. Bullshitter. Whatever you want to call them. Deliberately move the car to another part of the country so it wouldn't be known as the Wisconsin car.

That car is junk.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; March 12th, 2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old March 11th, 2022, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by pettrix
Classic car flippers have ruined the hobby and market. That's a fact. The flippers don't give 2 sh*ts about the car, it's all about money. The true car enthusiasts had a passion and care for the vehicles. The flippers made the cars more unattainable for the enthusiast. It over priced the market and now these cars are so expensive, the enthusiasts can't afford them and now it's only the wealthy who buy and sell these cars. They turn into garage queens and museum pieces to show up at Mecum and Barrett Jackson.

Back in the 80s, 90's and even early 00's, the classic muscle car market was totally different than what it has become today. I lived it and seen it firsthand.

The seller of this W-30 bought it for $5k in Wisconsin and now is trying to flip it for $30k, all while doing absolutely nothing to the car except towing it from Wisconsin to the east coast. It's a rotted out pile of garbage but it will inflate the car market pricing.

It is what it is but flippers have destroyed the classic muscle car market for the youth. Fortunately, GM, Ford and Dodge created modern "muscle cars" which the youth of today are going after but the 60's and early 70's cars are not being sought out by the youth of today. Just older dudes with a lot of money but a lot of them don't care for the cars or drive them. It's all about making money, bragging rights and garage queens.
You have a few valid points.. With your mindset then folks selling parts for crazy high prices are just as guilty, ( guarantee many don’t give two craps about the part, only its sellability ). they have ruined the hobby, the price of 100.00 per hour from resto shops, I guess they have ruined the hobby as well? Everything is supply and demand..there are plenty cars out there for the hobbyist. Remember back in the day a persons car was never required to look better than showroom condition, original paints in todays world would be considered crap. Panel adjustments on new cars wouldnt be good enough for many that want perfection. The hobby has always had its high end crowd and its driver crowd. Many of us old dudes love to drive our cars, I have a appreciation for a trailer queen but no desire to own one.
I own a few highend guitars that are worth a fair amount, why because they are vintage, that doesn’t stifle people from buying good instruments at reasonable prices to learn to play.
The same can be said of any hobby, people buy and sell, its the way it is..In my opinion flippers didn’t ruin the car hobby, idiots that pay flipper prices are huge contributors. But hey we can have opposing opinions and agree to disagree agreeably. Buy the way the flipper that bought that clapped out W30 is NEVER going to even get close to 30..

Last edited by Andy; March 11th, 2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old March 13th, 2022, 09:26 AM

What makes it even worse are the dealers buying from other dealer and raising the prices over and over again. I have been watching on car that was 25K, then 30K, then 35K and the new dealer won't even price it. As for the people selling parts, I have no problem with this, as they are at least trying to help restore cars back to their former glory. This is no different than the dealers in the light 90's when I was restoring one of my 442's - left parking light $19 the right one $99 - supply and demand
Old March 13th, 2022, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Johnd
What makes it even worse are the dealers buying from other dealer and raising the prices over and over again. I have been watching on car that was 25K, then 30K, then 35K and the new dealer won't even price it. As for the people selling parts, I have no problem with this, as they are at least trying to help restore cars back to their former glory. This is no different than the dealers in the light 90's when I was restoring one of my 442's - left parking light $19 the right one $99 - supply and demand
Completely agree, , my point wasn’t a slam on folks selling parts. Just a possible analogy as to others way of thinking on the hobby. Nobody wants to pay exorbitant prices for anything, me being one as well. However sometimes it’s just the cost of the hobby unfortunately. People have been buying and flipping cars since forever. My little brother and I used to buy and sell cars back in the 80s when you found his muscle cars in everybody’s backyard with a motor bad or whatever.. However we didn’t make thousands of dollars , would be lucky to make 500 or $1000 a car. We spent a lot of time looking with no results and every now and then you found one. For us it wasn’t even about the money was more about the hunt, we just love the hunt
Old March 13th, 2022, 10:25 AM

@Andy - I remember those days as well. I graduated high school in 1983 and our student parking lot would put today's cars shows to shame. One of my friends families collected Olsmobiles, they had 5 or 6 W30's at one point, and a number of 442's. These cars were a dime a dozen up until the late 90's. I remember going to junk yards to get a door and it would be $50 then 3 years later it was $200 - so the prices have been steadily increasing for years. I just wish I knew then what I know now - I would have a stable of W30's and W31's
Old March 13th, 2022, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Johnd
@Andy - I remember those days as well. I graduated high school in 1983 and our student parking lot would put today's cars shows to shame. One of my friends families collected Olsmobiles, they had 5 or 6 W30's at one point, and a number of 442's. These cars were a dime a dozen up until the late 90's. I remember going to junk yards to get a door and it would be $50 then 3 years later it was $200 - so the prices have been steadily increasing for years. I just wish I knew then what I know now - I would have a stable of W30's and W31's
John I see your in Fort Myers, I Am in Sarasota..ya ever want to get together let me know..😀
yea there was a girl who drove a clapped out yellow GSX daily in like 1980..i kept trying to buy it but she wasn’t interested.
Old March 13th, 2022, 02:46 PM

Hey Andy - I should probably update my location - we just moved to Raleigh NC a few months ago. Otherwise I would have met up as I used to spend a lot of time in Sarasota