Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

The nicest all original 72 Cutlass you are likely to find

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2015, 09:10 AM

The nicest all original 72 Cutlass you are likely to find

I have a 1972 Cutlass Supreme for sale. I have had an appraisal done, here are some excepts from the appraiser.

"This Cutlass Supreme has been kept in pristine condition since new. It has always been stored indoors and has never winter driven and has only travelled 39,000 miles in 42 years. (this appraisal was done 4 years ago). The body is straight, solid, rust free and has never been damaged. The original lacquer paint is still in good condition with no fading or scratches; it only has a few rock chips on the front area. All of the emblems, mouldings, grille parts and lenses are intact and in good condition. Both bumpers have good original chrome.

The extensive indoor storage has preserved the original interior in like new condition. There is no wear showing, even to the drivers' area of the seat. No sun fading is evident to the door panels, rear panels, seat tops, dash pad or carpet. The windshield is not cracked and all glass is in good condition. The rubber glass seals, cat whiskers and weather stripping are not cracked and are still soft and pliable.

The 350 cu.in. V8 runs smoothly with no exhaust smoke or unusual noises. It is mated to the correct 350 turbo automatic transmission and 10-bolt differential, also in good condition.
The suspension, steering, brake and exhaust system are all in good condition due to the very low mileage.

This is one of the finest example of this model in the area and it is my considered opinion that the true market value of this vehicle is $22,000"

I had this appraisal done by Classic Auto Appraisals. A well known and respected appraiser in the Southern Alberta area. With over 25 years experience he is one of the go to guys.

Since the appraisal was done in 2011, the car has been stored indoors in a climate controlled garage. Probably no more than 150 miles have been put on the car in that time. I really don't think you will find a nicer original condition car anywhere. If interested you can call me at 403 308 1606.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0493.JPG (2.03 MB, 643 views)
DSCN0501.JPG (1.97 MB, 521 views)
DSCN0502.JPG (1.85 MB, 389 views)
DSCN0509.JPG (2.08 MB, 468 views)

Last edited by JasonE; June 5th, 2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old June 5th, 2015, 09:11 AM

Sorry, forgot price. 15,000 USD. I can email full pics and full appraisal report to any who are interested.

Last edited by JasonE; June 5th, 2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old June 5th, 2015, 09:35 AM

Very nice car but it is a Cutlass Supreme not a S. Could not restore one to as nice as this one is for anywhere your asking price. Good luck. Does the AC work?
Old June 5th, 2015, 09:43 AM

Yes, AC is in working order. Correct, it is a Supreme, not an S. Thanks, correction had been made.

Last edited by JasonE; June 5th, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old June 5th, 2015, 10:43 AM

suggestion

Welcome. If you still own the car in July then I suggest you take it to the Rocket Roundup in Olds AB. This is an all Oldsmobile show held in the town of Olds every year in July. This year the show is on July 18. Hope to see you there if you still own it.
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome Jason. Wow, that is one fine survivor. GLWS.
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:42 PM

It is indeed a survivor. We acquired it from an estate sale. I do believe it has been under cover its entire life in a climate controlled garage.
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Nice car Jason, good luck with your sale.
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:36 PM

Wow, time machine, very nice! Good luck
Old June 5th, 2015, 03:30 PM

That's a beauty.
Old June 5th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

All too often that sort of color is paired up with a tan or brown interior.

Nice to see if paired up with something different.

The white & black interior really makes that pop.

Sharp car.

GLWS.
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:51 PM

ac

you said ac working in pic theres no belt on compressor old pic or no belt no ac just wondering
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:32 PM

Very nice Supreme. The Saddle Bronze paint does go well with the saddle, white, and black interior colors. Does the Cutlass have disc brakes and an am/fm radio? Is the control switch at the end of the turn signal arm for pulse wipers or cruise control?
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:20 PM

Yes, old pic. Original compressor was replaced. It works now
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:23 PM

Very nice looking Cutlass Supreme. The hood with the rear vents isn't right for an a/c car though.
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Very nice Supreme. The Saddle Bronze paint does go well with the saddle, white, and black interior colors. Does the Cutlass have disc brakes and an am/fm radio? Is the control switch at the end of the turn signal arm for pulse wipers or cruise control?
The cruise is on the end of the turn signal, wiper controls are on the dash. It has drum brakes. It does have am/fm radio

Last edited by JasonE; June 5th, 2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Very nice car, but the write up sounds more like it's from a publicist than an appraiser.

- Eric
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Very nice car, but the write up sounds more like it's from a publicist than an appraiser.

- Eric
I think he was that impressed. Appraisers name is Dave Neilson. Well known car guy in these parts.
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 72cutlassconv
Very nice looking Cutlass Supreme. The hood with the rear vents isn't right for an a/c car though.
That's news to me. I am no expert, but would be beyond shocked if not original hood. Can anyone else here confirm this vent location??
Old June 5th, 2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by JasonE
That's news to me. I am no expert, but would be beyond shocked if not original hood. Can anyone else here confirm this vent location??
1972 cutlass factory assembly manual section 11 page 156
"no hood vents on air conditioning hoods"
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:17 AM

My car has no vents
Old June 6th, 2015, 06:33 PM

Very nice car! I'm very curious about the vents too since I've had a couple of '72 supremes with factory air. Which vents are you guys referring too? Are there more photos or just the four in the first post?

EDIT: oh, I think I see now...the vents are visible under the hood. I'll have to check some photos of mine...can't remember ever noticing those.

Last edited by 79MKII; June 6th, 2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old June 6th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by 79MKII
Very nice car! I'm very curious about the vents too since I've had a couple of '72 supremes with factory air. Which vents are you guys referring too? Are there more photos or just the four in the first post?

EDIT: oh, I think I see now...the vents are visible under the hood. I'll have to check some photos of mine...can't remember ever noticing those.
I sure they are referring to the slotted vents along the rear edge of the hood. I am going to try and do some homework on this next week and try to sort out why there are there if they are not sussposed to be.
Old June 6th, 2015, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 72cutlassconv
1972 cutlass factory assembly manual section 11 page 156
"no hood vents on air conditioning hoods"

As I recall, the A/C cars for the '72 model did not have the rear vents on the hood, including those built prior to 1/1/1972. But of course, there may be those exceptions as seen with other cars, especially if it is a very early or late build date.
Old June 6th, 2015, 10:55 PM

Great grandma car but my 70 Cutlass SX is in the same condition as yours. Mine has never been smoked in or had kids in its that nice. A 455 rebuilt, air still works, PS,PDB,W-32 4 BBL. all number matching except trans. 3.23 posi, dual gate, Tach and Gages, 8 track, am/fm stereo new Viking blue paint, black interior. I still like your car.
Gerald
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric
No, I've got an appraisal for my car that uses similar language. I figure they learn it from a book.
Old June 7th, 2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JasonE
I sure they are referring to the slotted vents along the rear edge of the hood. I am going to try and do some homework on this next week and try to sort out why there are there if they are not sussposed to be.
Wow, I looked over some pictures and sure enough, my 2nd '72 supreme did not have the slotted vents at all. My first one did though and I bought that car in 1986 and it was a factory air car. It had drum brakes all around and the one without the vents came with factory front disc brakes....probably not related but wanted to note that. Possibly a build date related difference? I can't believe I never noticed that my 2nd one didn't have those! I thought the difference would be the holes cut on the inner side of the hood leading to those slotted vents...I thought they all had the slotted vents but maybe were not cut through to the engine bay. As was noted, exceptions are out there and mine was one of them....A/C car with vents present:
Attached Images
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 79MKII
Wow, I looked over some pictures and sure enough, my 2nd '72 supreme did not have the slotted vents at all. My first one did though and I bought that car in 1986 and it was a factory air car. It had drum brakes all around and the one without the vents came with factory front disc brakes....probably not related but wanted to note that. Possibly a build date related difference? I can't believe I never noticed that my 2nd one didn't have those! I thought the difference would be the holes cut on the inner side of the hood leading to those slotted vents...I thought they all had the slotted vents but maybe were not cut through to the engine bay. As was noted, exceptions are out there and mine was one of them....A/C car with vents present:
Mine sounds like a match to your first one. Factory AC with hood vents and drum brakes all the way around. I am going to try and look into things a little more tonmorow. I think the original sales sheet is in the glove box. That may give me some clues.
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
Great grandma car but my 70 Cutlass SX is in the same condition as yours. Mine has never been smoked in or had kids in its that nice. A 455 rebuilt, air still works, PS,PDB,W-32 4 BBL. all number matching except trans. 3.23 posi, dual gate, Tach and Gages, 8 track, am/fm stereo new Viking blue paint, black interior. I still like your car.
Gerald
Sounds nice indeed.
Old June 8th, 2015, 10:09 AM

I had thought all the '72 4bbl, except for the OIA cars, had dual snorkel air cleaners. My dad's '72 Supreme, a pre-January 1st car, came from the factory with the dual snorkel air cleaner, 350 4bbl, single exhaust, and no vents at the rear of the hood.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 06:43 PM

Open to offers on this car.

I will try a more "mass marketing" site soon. I would really like to see this car go to a true Oldsmobile guy. PM me any offers.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 01:47 AM

I've got a really early 72 supreme all orig Ac 350 4b no vents / a mid 72 vert 350 4b Ac car was all orig when I got it and it has no vents. . Maybe it was in a wreck and dealer fixed early on .
Old July 2nd, 2015, 06:08 AM

July 18

The all Oldsmobile show hosted by the Northern Lights Oldsmobile Club is on July 18th @ Olds AB. Bring the car there if you want to expose it to your best buying group.

Things are tough in AB now with the oil crash. Rare & desirable cars are bringing good money but the market is flooded with fringe muscle cars that wont bring asking price. You need to lower your asking price or find an American buyer with their US dollar buying power.

Best of luck with the sale.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 03:44 PM

I think you are correct.

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
The all Oldsmobile show hosted by the Northern Lights Oldsmobile Club is on July 18th @ Olds AB. Bring the car there if you want to expose it to your best buying group.

Things are tough in AB now with the oil crash. Rare & desirable cars are bringing good money but the market is flooded with fringe muscle cars that wont bring asking price. You need to lower your asking price or find an American buyer with their US dollar buying power.

Best of luck with the sale.

I still have not advertised anywhere else. I am willing to go lower. I will entertain any offers.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:08 PM
Rocket Renegade!

The advice about getting it out of Alberta would be well taken. I would cover more markets before I started slashing the price too aggressively. That car sounds like a solid survivor in unmolested condition and should be able to fetch close to what you're asking for it.

Get it out there on Hemmings, cover a few large markets on CL (Vancouver, LA, Portland, Seattle, etc.), do a Canada-wide Kijiji listing, and as Dave suggests, don't rule out the car shows -- giving hundreds of potential buyers the opportunity to take a good look at a car like that up close and personal at a show should yield lots of interest. If all else fails, consider an auction -- but it should be a larger one with a lot of exposure.

GLWS!
Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
Gerald
Nothing nice or positive to say don't say it.
Good luck with your sale on your very nice survivor.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:50 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Yeah, I don't like that "Your car is okay but mine's much better!" kind of post, either.