Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Interesting lol

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Interesting lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item2597cc0704
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:26 PM

no pictures, has air conditioning, power brakes, power windows... hmmm...
Old October 24th, 2014, 08:54 PM

Let me get my hip waders.
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by 83hurstguy
no pictures, has air conditioning, power brakes, power windows... hmmm...

Yes things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Let me get my hip waders.

lol, Dan that was good
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:06 PM

some of you guys that know these cars need to ask the seller questions at the bottom of the post. What does all that about the H/O have to do with his "Real W31"?
Old October 24th, 2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by steverw
some of you guys that know these cars need to ask the seller questions at the bottom of the post. What does all that about the H/O have to do with his "Real W31"?

I did waiting to hear reply
honestly had a difficult time understanding his ad
Old October 25th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Lansing built

Wow! " Opinions and theories" and a drop top to boot!

I sell manure spreaders at my work! I don't think my biggest one will hold this load!
I wonder if this guy is a local politicians?

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; October 25th, 2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old October 25th, 2014, 05:02 AM

Wow I am so confused, what is it now? Also note he has no feedback whatsoever, although he has (338) transactions.
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:15 AM
morgan

wow i only read 3/4 of the description before my head almost blew up it was like reading one long sentence
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:37 AM

That is nuts.

Don't know where to begin. . . .
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:49 AM

Interesting LOL

I always thought the old axiom was "A picture is worth a thousand words" not A thousand words are worth a picture.
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:33 AM

Damn, Sure is long winded, I lost traction about 1/4 of the way thru the second paragraph. Could somebody do a short translation?
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:48 AM

How i read it is this car was done for some important guy, smashed up and then written of gm system so no evidence can be found of its existance. Its more models than i think oldmobile have even produced and its got some rare parts. That rare infact only this car has them.
If ive missed anything please correct me lol.
Old October 25th, 2014, 08:14 AM

what i got is that it may have started life as the lost hurst olds w31 convertible, built for george hurst

Last edited by stan 65 cutlass; October 25th, 2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old October 25th, 2014, 08:20 AM

Im far from an oldsmobile expert so im going to ask, is their a lost car made for mr hurst?
Old October 25th, 2014, 08:47 AM

I read it or attempted 3 times and could not make heads or tails.

it appears it started its life as a w-31 w a/c and power brakes
the extremely rare JO tranny is not mentioned hmmmmmmm
then is where I get lost
Old October 25th, 2014, 08:56 AM

My 2 cents.

This is why you should not list a car for sale on ebay when you have been drinking.
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Rodney

eBay ID

Did you notice his eBay Seller ID? Not sure I would buy a car from someone named "goodoleboyheymandude" - even if he does have 338 transactions behind him - LOL.
Old October 25th, 2014, 09:42 AM

I asked him when he was going to post pictures. We'll see.
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:02 AM

I did some searching on internet to see if he had it posted anywhere else besides ebay, I came up short but here is a video of barn find minibike he was selling a while back.
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:05 AM

" It has what I believe to be the rarest of the w31 options and that is the...

W31 intake # 389663 with the CHG W cast into the intake and a big #9

by the water neck for 1969 . This intake is so rare that the Olds Facts website which literally has tons of info on everything about Cutlass and 442 codes and numbers. That website thinks this #398663 intake is a 2 barrel intake. Here is the Olds facts website link: www.442.com click on Olds F.A.Q.s and then scroll down to W- Machines. So rare they don't know what it is which makes me think it is special to the convertibles only because if it's the same intake used on the hard top w31 cars, I'm pretty sure they would know what it was and have it listed correctly. "
============================

Well, there you have it.
The internet says so, therefore it is true.

"they would have it listed correctly"
ha ha ha ha ha
oh I almost peed my pants

Here is the entire text as of today:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++
Hello, I am selling my 1969 Cutlass w 31. It was the High performance 350 motor option that was the same as the Ram Rod offered in 1968. 1969 was the only year you could get the w31 Ram Rod motor in a Convertible. It is 1 of 26 cars that were originally produced as a w31 Cutlass S Holiday Convertible and it could be more than just a W31 and I will explain this later. When I bought it the owner did not mention it to me as being a w31 only that it had the high compression motor. I got this 1969 Cutlass because I wanted a convertible to replace the 67 Camaro convertible I had when I was 17 and I sold at 19. When I bought this Cutlass I didn't know what a W31 was and I just found out about 2 months ago. I flew to Phoenix Arizona and drove it home to Michigan and parked it in the garage until two years ago. He got it from his mother and she got it from the car lot. I took it out of storage and drove it for a week and spun a bearing. I had the motor rebuilt and that was when the motor shop asked "Do you know that you have the High compression heads" I knew it was high compression but I thought nothing of it because I really didn't know anything about the Cutlass. When I was changing over to the 4 speed about two months ago is when I found it to be a w31 after doing some research.

This car has the numbers matching motor, and the specially calibrated automatic 350 turbo transmission which I removed. It has the special w31 only harmonic balancer, it has the w31 trunk lid that slams like trash pans clanging together. It has the thinner firewall insulation to cut weight. It has the hole for the gas line to be mounted to the frame at the fuel pump specific to the w31. The fuel lines were replaced before I got the car so the mounting hole does not hold the original gas line or gas line clamp. It has the w31 #5 Big valve heads, It has what I believe to be the rarest of the w31 options and that is the W31 intake # 389663 with the CHG W cast into the intake and a big #9 by the water neck for 1969 . This intake is so rare that the Olds Facts website which literally has tons of info on everything about Cutlass and 442 codes and numbers. That website thinks this #398663 intake is a 2 barrel intake. Here is the Olds facts website link: www.442.com click on Olds F.A.Q.s and then scroll down to W- Machines. So rare they don't know what it is which makes me think it is special to the convertibles only because if it's the same intake used on the hard top w31 cars, I'm pretty sure they would know what it was and have it listed correctly. This car does not have a build sheet behind rear seat. It also has 2 options that were believed NOT to come on a w31. Air conditioning and Power brakes were suppose to not be available to the w31 because the cam rocks to much to support the vacuum required for power brakes and air cond. So these two options are probably the rarest of w31 options if not the only one made this way. The car also has power windows, dual mirrors, posi rear end, power disc brakes in the front. I have the original AMFM radio and distributor because the previous owner changed it to MSD ignition. I have the original dated Rochester and I had it restored and looks like new and is in a box not on the car. When I changed it to a 4 speed transmission I also changed the carb to an original 1969 Cutlass Rochester 4 speed carb. The original cam is in the motor. The original exhaust manifolds are gone and has headers. Air conditioning works good, all power windows work, the power top works. The gas gauge works intermittently. Has placements for speakers but no speakers. New tires about 1000 miles on them.

This Cutlass started its life in a collision to the passenger side front and was not titled until August 1969. This car has a build date code 1B on the firewall trim plate. Which means January 2nd week. This car was made the same week as the Hurst olds prototype and probably rolled down the line at the same time. It was made in Lansing Michigan, the only place where w31 were made. My car's vin is 336679M250930 and the Hurst Olds prototype Hardtop vin is 344679M250994 only 64 units between them. and the prototype was also built 1B. There is only two documented Hurst olds cars produced in January 1969 1B, the prototype and the #1 Hurst Olds vin# M251223 and both were hard tops. Both the known convertible Hurst olds vin start with 336679M which is a Cutlass S designated and all hardtop Hurst were 442 designated in the vin. I have read that between 3 and as many as 6 1969 Hurst Olds convertibles are speculated to have been built. Rob's Hurst Olds web site is: http://home.comcast.net/~witrob/registry/registry.html This website has all the documented 1969 Hurst Olds that are known and registered. Both of the known Hurst Olds convertibles were both made that the end of the year vs my Cutlass that was made early at the same time as the Hurst Olds Prototype. George Hurst had an early 1969 Hurst Olds convertible and it had an Unknown demise. I have read that some sources say it was smashed and some say it was burned and some just don't know what happened to it.. Hurst may have ordered this w31 at the same time as the prototype hard top when they were deciding which way to go with the 1969 Hurst's. This car is silver with 930 coded black buckets just like the 1968 Hurst cars. We all know they went white with gold accents and a 455 but in early January they were still deciding. The first 1969 Hurst Olds Hardtop was made available to the public the cars are dated starting with the data plates having 3C which is March 3rd week until 5D May 4th week. My car has the vin ending M250930 like the 930 coded black bucket seats. It is color Platinum Silver coded 69 and the car is a 1969. I feel it is more than just a w31 with the trim and color codes and built for someone who was important and wanted those numbers. The original Hurst olds unknown demise and this car starting out it life in a front end accident and then first titled in Aug 1969. This Cutlass also has power brakes and air conditioning which was not offered for w31's but may have been ordered by George himself and then smashed because of the inadequate vacuum for the brakes. Olds didn't offer power brakes or air conditioning with the w31 but maybe George got what he wanted. Swept under the rug because of the accident? Whether this is his Hurst Olds convertible that was in a collision in early 1969 with the unknown demise or if it's just a W31, it's defiantly very cool.

I personally changed the Automatic transmission to the 4 speed currently in it. I am a master carpenter and perfectionist so it was done right and beautiful and I love how it sounds and shifts and drives. I have all the original automatic equipment. I also have a huge folder with tons of receipts for documenting miles etc. This vehicle is sold as is as a project but runs and drives excellent. It does have some rust in the quarters and drivers side fender. The doors, floors and trunk are real nice but the frame on the pass side behind the front wheel has some rust in the frame and I have a section of a nice frame I was going to splice on a small section which is included. You can see around the edge of that the passenger side fender it was white before it was painted to match the car.

This car is staring controversy in the face. If it is what I think it might be than I believe it will be shunned by Hurst. This car would be the top of the mountain with the other Hurst convertibles and they probably won't want it up there with there's. Unless they want to celebrate the finding of a lost Hurst convertible w31 thought to be lost and destroyed. Pure controversy.

Just like beauty it's in the eye of the beholder. I have explained and theorized what I think about this car and described it to the best of my ability. If your opinion is that its a clone or what ever else? Good for you because you know what they say about opinions. Do something constructive with your time and stop being a troll if you feel like writing me with your negative opinion.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My eyes are bleeding now.

Happy?

- Eric
Old October 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Hello, I am selling my 1969 Cutlass w 31. It was the High performance 350 motor option that was the same as the Ram Rod offered in 1968. 1969 was the only year you could get the w31 Ram Rod motor in a Convertible. It is 1 of 26 cars that were originally produced as a w31 Cutlass S Holiday Convertible and it could be more than just a W31 and I will explain this later. When I bought it the owner did not mention it to me as being a w31 only that it had the high compression motor. I got this 1969 Cutlass because I wanted a convertible to replace the 67 Camaro convertible I had when I was 17 and I sold at 19. When I bought this Cutlass I didn't know what a W31 was and I just found out about 2 months ago. I flew to Phoenix Arizona and drove it home to Michigan and parked it in the garage until two years ago. He got it from his mother and she got it from the car lot. I took it out of storage and drove it for a week and spun a bearing. I had the motor rebuilt and that was when the motor shop asked "Do you know that you have the High compression heads" I knew it was high compression but I thought nothing of it because I really didn't know anything about the Cutlass. When I was changing over to the 4 speed about two months ago is when I found it to be a w31 after doing some research.

This car has the numbers matching motor, and the specially calibrated automatic 350 turbo transmission which I removed. It has the special w31 only harmonic balancer, it has the w31 trunk lid that slams like trash pans clanging together. It has the thinner firewall insulation to cut weight. It has the hole for the gas line to be mounted to the frame at the fuel pump specific to the w31. The fuel lines were replaced before I got the car so the mounting hole does not hold the original gas line or gas line clamp. It has the w31 #5 Big valve heads, It has what I believe to be the rarest of the w31 options and that is the W31 intake # 389663 with the CHG W cast into the intake and a big #9 by the water neck for 1969 . This intake is so rare that the Olds Facts website which literally has tons of info on everything about Cutlass and 442 codes and numbers. That website thinks this #398663 intake is a 2 barrel intake. Here is the Olds facts website link: www.442.com click on Olds F.A.Q.s and then scroll down to W- Machines. So rare they don't know what it is which makes me think it is special to the convertibles only because if it's the same intake used on the hard top w31 cars, I'm pretty sure they would know what it was and have it listed correctly. This car does not have a build sheet behind rear seat. It also has 2 options that were believed NOT to come on a w31. Air conditioning and Power brakes were suppose to not be available to the w31 because the cam rocks to much to support the vacuum required for power brakes and air cond. So these two options are probably the rarest of w31 options if not the only one made this way. The car also has power windows, dual mirrors, posi rear end, power disc brakes in the front. I have the original AMFM radio and distributor because the previous owner changed it to MSD ignition. I have the original dated Rochester and I had it restored and looks like new and is in a box not on the car. When I changed it to a 4 speed transmission I also changed the carb to an original 1969 Cutlass Rochester 4 speed carb. The original cam is in the motor. The original exhaust manifolds are gone and has headers. Air conditioning works good, all power windows work, the power top works. The gas gauge works intermittently. Has placements for speakers but no speakers. New tires about 1000 miles on them.

This Cutlass started its life in a collision to the passenger side front and was not titled until August 1969. This car has a build date code 1B on the firewall trim plate. Which means January 2nd week. This car was made the same week as the Hurst olds prototype and probably rolled down the line at the same time. It was made in Lansing Michigan, the only place where w31 were made. My car's vin is 336679M250930 and the Hurst Olds prototype Hardtop vin is 344679M250994 only 64 units between them. and the prototype was also built 1B. There is only two documented Hurst olds cars produced in January 1969 1B, the prototype and the #1 Hurst Olds vin# M251223 and both were hard tops. Both the known convertible Hurst olds vin start with 336679M which is a Cutlass S designated and all hardtop Hurst were 442 designated in the vin. I have read that between 3 and as many as 6 1969 Hurst Olds convertibles are speculated to have been built. Rob's Hurst Olds web site is: http://home.comcast.net/~witrob/registry/registry.html This website has all the documented 1969 Hurst Olds that are known and registered. Both of the known Hurst Olds convertibles were both made that the end of the year vs my Cutlass that was made early at the same time as the Hurst Olds Prototype. George Hurst had an early 1969 Hurst Olds convertible and it had an Unknown demise. I have read that some sources say it was smashed and some say it was burned and some just don't know what happened to it.. Hurst may have ordered this w31 at the same time as the prototype hard top when they were deciding which way to go with the 1969 Hurst's. This car is silver with 930 coded black buckets just like the 1968 Hurst cars. We all know they went white with gold accents and a 455 but in early January they were still deciding. The first 1969 Hurst Olds Hardtop was made available to the public the cars are dated starting with the data plates having 3C which is March 3rd week until 5D May 4th week. My car has the vin ending M250930 like the 930 coded black bucket seats. It is color Platinum Silver coded 69 and the car is a 1969. I feel it is more than just a w31 with the trim and color codes and built for someone who was important and wanted those numbers. The original Hurst olds unknown demise and this car starting out it life in a front end accident and then first titled in Aug 1969. This Cutlass also has power brakes and air conditioning which was not offered for w31's but may have been ordered by George himself and then smashed because of the inadequate vacuum for the brakes. Olds didn't offer power brakes or air conditioning with the w31 but maybe George got what he wanted. Swept under the rug because of the accident? Whether this is his Hurst Olds convertible that was in a collision in early 1969 with the unknown demise or if it's just a W31, it's defiantly very cool.

I personally changed the Automatic transmission to the 4 speed currently in it. I am a master carpenter and perfectionist so it was done right and beautiful and I love how it sounds and shifts and drives. I have all the original automatic equipment. I also have a huge folder with tons of receipts for documenting miles etc. This vehicle is sold as is as a project but runs and drives excellent. It does have some rust in the quarters and drivers side fender. The doors, floors and trunk are real nice but the frame on the pass side behind the front wheel has some rust in the frame and I have a section of a nice frame I was going to splice on a small section which is included. You can see around the edge of that the passenger side fender it was white before it was painted to match the car.

This car is staring controversy in the face. If it is what I think it might be than I believe it will be shunned by Hurst. This car would be the top of the mountain with the other Hurst convertibles and they probably won't want it up there with there's. Unless they want to celebrate the finding of a lost Hurst convertible w31 thought to be lost and destroyed. Pure controversy.
Old October 25th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Octania

wow when those loosely used terms are highlighted its even worse to attempt to comprehend
Old October 25th, 2014, 04:12 PM

You guy's are missing out. It's written on E-bay. So it must be true. E-bay would never allow someone to write something that is not true. They check everything. I know because someone told me.
I'm sending him a cheque right now so I don't miss out on this obviously important George Hurst Oldsmobile.

Mike
Old October 25th, 2014, 05:09 PM

Well, you better hurry up and bid. Only 8 days left and the bidding has been furious. So far, the bid total is up to 0. Zero, Zip, Zilch, Nada
Old October 25th, 2014, 05:38 PM

I am writing a cheque for $30,000.00 right now before one of you guy out bids me.
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:09 PM

okay got a reply from seller , who still says car w it but he posted pics
from the pics that does not look like a 31 balancer but asked to measure width. I am sending him a pic of mine and see if it is one. But from his pic doesn't look wide enough
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
okay got a reply from seller , who still says car w it but he posted pics
from the pics that does not look like a 31 balancer but asked to measure width. I am sending him a pic of mine and see if it is one. But from his pic doesn't look wide enough
Dean you are dead on, that balancer is not a 31 balancer at all. This guy needs to see a real 31 and then maybe he'll change his ad to 1969 cutlass convert 1 of 10,000
Old October 25th, 2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 66trakpak
Dean you are dead on, that balancer is not a 31 balancer at all. This guy needs to see a real 31 and then maybe he'll change his ad to 1969 cutlass convert 1 of 10,000

Okay thought so ty for that, sent him a pic of mine so will see lol
Old October 26th, 2014, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rod5013
I always thought the old axiom was "A picture is worth a thousand words" not A thousand words are worth a picture.
X2, why not one pic of the car or its condition???
Im no expert but IMO 25k is a bit ambitious
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:22 AM

But his car went down the assembly line where they made the Hurst/Olds!

Mine did too! but it was a year or so after/before depending on 70 or 72.
Old October 26th, 2014, 06:44 AM

My 2 cents.

Why is there not a single picture of the car? He has great pics of the engine & other details but not one of the actual car. Odd or deceitful?. You decide.
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:30 AM

In all seriousness, my last comments were an attempt to be mildly amusing. The gentleman obviously believes he has a significant Olds. I would hope he would inquire with knowledgeable Olds enthusiasts to confirm or deny his claims. To simply put in writing his thought without actual verification seems to be illogical. Since he want 25K or more it would be prudent to verify. Otherwise the claims simply turn into another bunch of BS and the flaming starts. Hope he gets this correctly sorted out with the forums expert assistance.
Old October 26th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Another lol but different.
Old October 26th, 2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mike77
In all seriousness, my last comments were an attempt to be mildly amusing. The gentleman obviously believes he has a significant Olds. I would hope he would inquire with knowledgeable Olds enthusiasts to confirm or deny his claims. To simply put in writing his thought without actual verification seems to be illogical. Since he want 25K or more it would be prudent to verify. Otherwise the claims simply turn into another bunch of BS and the flaming starts. Hope he gets this correctly sorted out with the forums expert assistance.

yeah actually feel somewhat sorry for him I think he is really confused
Old October 26th, 2014, 01:42 PM

I just sent a message asking for some pix of the outside & inside of the car, we'll see what happens.
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:47 PM

There are now pictures of the car body & interior. The frame of the car is shot!! It does have some nice options but is NOT a $25,000.00 car, maybe a $2,500.00 car on a good day...
Old October 27th, 2014, 02:16 PM

The balancer looks like a 330? Rust bucket

Quick Reply: Interesting lol