Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

7E Build '66 with a '67 Dash Emblem

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2018, 06:29 PM

7E Build '66 with a '67 Dash Emblem

Me wonders if this late build got a '67 emblem because Lansing ran out of '66 emblems? Too easy to just change it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-...1a6yME&vxp=mtr

Not mine.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:10 PM

I've had a couple of 7E 442's and I don't recall see a 67 dash emblem in them but then again,it was a while ago. Pretty nice car but the engine compartment is a cluster.
Old May 4th, 2018, 08:35 AM

There are a lot more incorrect items such as
no paint on headlamp doors
trunk spatter painted instead of body color
no stickers inside trunk lid
dual master cylinder
black oil filler tube
paint on VIN plate in door jamb
short oil filler tube
polished door sill plates
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:28 AM

One of the more persistent myths is that the plants used parts until they were gone, even on the next year's model. That didn't happen, unless an error was made, for at least three reasons: the car is built to a design, and the wrong part is the wrong part, trim, brakes, whatever; they made the correct number of parts to "build out"; any remaining parts became service replacement parts; and, I though of a fourth, they shut down for 3 months to retool each year. All old parts would have been removed before start of production of next year.
Old May 6th, 2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
One of the more persistent myths is that the plants used parts until they were gone, even on the next year's model. That didn't happen, unless an error was made, for at least three reasons: the car is built to a design, and the wrong part is the wrong part, trim, brakes, whatever; they made the correct number of parts to "build out"; any remaining parts became service replacement parts; and, I though of a fourth, they shut down for 3 months to retool each year. All old parts would have been removed before start of production of next year.
Really? How do you explain 67 Olds A-Body cars with 66 A/C systems and gas tank vent lines in the trunk,not the 2 hose system. Another fact,66 Cutlass/442's starting May of 66 had 67 left front inner fenders. I know where you're coming from but back then,they did whatever it took to produce cars.
Old May 6th, 2018, 08:51 PM

That could happen, but it would have been an approved thing. We call it, at my place, a running change. The dude on the line has NO authority to do anything other than what he is told to do. Anything beyond that, and they push a "help button" (sometimes it's a pull rope.) So, theoretically, a pull ahead part change could be done, if approved, and transparent to the (usual) customer. Trim items would not be part of that list.

The other way to explain it is that the cars are now 50 years old and things have been done to them since then (which is 99.5% the reason behind it, overall.)
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
That could happen, but it would have been an approved thing. We call it, at my place, a running change. The dude on the line has NO authority to do anything other than what he is told to do. Anything beyond that, and they push a "help button" (sometimes it's a pull rope.) So, theoretically, a pull ahead part change could be done, if approved, and transparent to the (usual) customer. Trim items would not be part of that list.

The other way to explain it is that the cars are now 50 years old and things have been done to them since then (which is 99.5% the reason behind it, overall.)
The 67 with the 66 A/C system is an untouched original car,so nothing has been changed. There was over a month during the change over,so there was plenty of time to get a 67 A/C system in place. All I'm saying is,I keep an open mind about how these cars were built. To answer the OP question,I didn't say no way a 67 dash emblem got placed in the 66,I said I have seen late 66 cars but didn't notice that.