Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

72 convertible in Utah

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Deputy Sheriff

72 convertible in Utah

Here is a 1972 Oldsmobile Convertible. I am not completely sure if its the Cutlass or the 442. It has all of the 442 options, but in 72, the 442 was just an option package, and the VIN number doesn't tell me much.
Anyway, this car is awesome, and I HATE to get rid of it. Circumstances are forcing me to sell my pet project.
I have worked on it for a few years now, and the restoration is nearly complete.
Essentially, all it needs is paint, and some minor reassembly to be ready for the car show.
I pulled the motor, (455 big block) and went through it. I put a bigger CAM in it, and also replaced the intake with an Edenbrock Performer. If you have ever driven something with a torque monster like the Olds 455, you know how much fun it is.
While I had the motor out, I sanded and painted the engine bay. Everything that I couldn't get to with a piece of sand paper, I sand blasted. I also used por-15 on the problem areas, like under the battery tray.
The engine bay looks great, as you can see in the photos.
I also wrapped the headers with heat wrap, to keep the excess heat out of the engine bay. I ran new dual exhaust to the rear of the car, and I installed exhaust cut-outs just before the mufflers so that it can be very loud on demand.
I replaced the front drum brakes with disc brakes, and also replaced the booster and master cylinder to match. I installed a Line-Lock on the rear brake line, to lock them out, and use the pedal to run the front brakes. (better for those burnout contests at the car show!)
Brand new windshield, and don't worry, I do have all of the stainless trim waiting to be put back on.
The top is in good shape, and the sutomatic open mechanism works great. New top pump, and hoses.
I replaced the transmission with a freshened TH-425. It will handle all of the torque that the motor will put out.
I mated the tranny to a Hurst Dual Gate Shifter. (because they are just, really cool)
The interior is in great shape, with bucket seats, and a console. Its a little dirty in the photos, but should clean up great!
New Alpine stereo, with 4 new speakers, 2 subwoofers, and a pioneer amp. The stereo sounds AWESOME!
There isn't any rust. the few places that there was any rust were repaired. The rear quarter panels are new, and the front fenders have just recently been patched, and ready for paint.
I installed Positraction in the rear-end, with 3.42 gears. It will definitely smoke the tires easily enough, even with the posi.
I have plenty of extra wheels for it. I was planning on painting them to match. They are in very good shape with the trim rings, and everything else needed.
I also have a new rear bumper with the 442 exhaust cutouts, and the correct trumpet tips for the exhaust. I have the rear wing (spoiler) for the trunk. I removed it to get ready for paint.
I have all new weatherstripping for it, to be installed after the paint job.
I planned on painting it yellow with black racing stripes. I hate to sell it when I am so close to finishing it, but I have a baby on the way, and I need the money a lot more than I need the car.
I believe I have everything needed to put the car back together... Even all the little things like new bumper bolts, and new door sill plates.
This car will be awesome with a good paint job.
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
This is not a numbers matching car, and I can't say for sure if its a Cutlass, or a 442. BUT this is a very good looking mmuscle car. It has a big motor, a convertible top, and lots of potential.
I live in Central Utah, near Richfield. You will have to make arrangements for transportation. Although it does run, and drive, it is not street legal because it doesn't have bumpers or lights on it.
Thanks for looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MY CAR 002.jpg (139.5 KB, 47 views)
MY CAR 005.jpg (143.1 KB, 58 views)
MY CAR 007.jpg (137.7 KB, 58 views)
MY CAR 003.jpg (145.2 KB, 31 views)
olds1.jpg (76.8 KB, 53 views)
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:53 PM

Nice car /Waht are you asking for it? Not having a posi kind of tells some people it is not a 442. Is the hood original?

Tim
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Deputy Sheriff

I forgot that I hadn't posted a price....
To be honest, I am not sure exactly what to ask for it...
I have about $10,000 into it, I would like to get that much out of it, but I don't know if I can.... I know I could get double that if it was painted!
Yeah, I really don't think its an original 442... but in 1972, there were a lot of screwy combinations. You could just pick and choose your options, and call it a Cutlass, or a 442.
The car had the hood on it when I bought it, but I can't say for sure if its the original one or not.
I wish I could hang on to it, but its not looking like I am going to be able to.
Thanks for the questions.
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:35 PM

The VIN will tell you what engine it originally came with. If it is a U code that would show a 455 originally and make it worth more than an original small block car. If it has an X it is a W-30 and by default a 442! Does the hood have a metal or fiberglass frame/underside? If metal it may be original. Not all 442's came with posi so that does not show it was not a 442 if it did not originally have one. Good luck with the sale!
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Deputy442
I forgot that I hadn't posted a price....
To be honest, I am not sure exactly what to ask for it...
I have about $10,000 into it, I would like to get that much out of it, but I don't know if I can.... I know I could get double that if it was painted!
Yeah, I really don't think its an original 442... but in 1972, there were a lot of screwy combinations. You could just pick and choose your options, and call it a Cutlass, or a 442.
The car had the hood on it when I bought it, but I can't say for sure if its the original one or not.
I wish I could hang on to it, but its not looking like I am going to be able to.
Thanks for the questions.
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM

The hood on the car is an original type hood with the steel insert undernaeth? Could you e-mail me the vin? tmtalaskanmalamutes@msn.com
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Banned

if the hood has a steel frame,and isnt rusty,ill give you 2 grand for the hood