Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

19kmi 1-Owner '72 Cutlass Convertible "Garage" Find

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2020, 05:58 PM

19kmi 1-Owner '72 Cutlass Convertible "Garage" Find

If forum rules require a price, I'll start at $15k and then you can read below for the whole story. Location is Atlanta, GA.

I hesitate to call this a "barn-find," since we've known where it was the whole time, but this 19kmi one-owner 1972 Cutlass is truly all-original. I'll tell you a bit of the story below, but the short version is that we're looking to sell it, and are struggling to narrow down its value.

On the one hand, it's an exceptionally low mile, unique color, unique story vehicle. On the other, it's been sitting for many years and needs a fair amount of work. I'm turning to you folks to help me understand the value, and help me find the right home for this piece of family history!

My grandfather and his father owned an Oldsmobile franchise in Atlanta for about 60 years. As my mother turned 16, it was only natural that my grandfather order her a new car! Wanting the best for his daughter, it was optioned with a white convertible top and matching white seats. The exterior color looks a lot like Pinehurst Green to me, but there's some family lore about the color being special ordered. Perhaps in this combo it was, but I'm sticking with Pinehurst Green.

So why is it in this condition, with only 19kmi on it after almost 50 years? Well, after high school and college, my mom went off to travel the country and the vehicle was parked inside the dealership as a show piece, moved and driven occasionally, but only on rare occasions for dealership events, parades and special weekend drives.

As the Oldsmobile brand faded away, so too did the dealership, and the car was eventually relocated to my parents garage. It was again enjoyed on occasional nice days throughout the late 90s and early 00s, before being parked for good just three miles short of 20kmi.

The condition is as you see- completely original, with a coating of dust and some surface/paint imperfections on the deck, but with a near-perfect time capsule of an interior. It appears A/C was optional in '72, and this one has it, but I do not have the complete list of options. Perhaps someone can point me to a VIN decoder or something that might help?

Mechanically it will need to be completely gone through, of course, but outside of a replaced battery many years ago, all parts there are original as well.

So, Oldsmobile experts, help me identify the right value and, more importantly, the right home for this '72 Cutlass. I'm by no means going to be offended by any suggestions, but hope that some of you might enjoy the story of this dealer-family-owned vehicle, registered to one owner since new, and waiting to be restored and enjoyed!

As it sits in the garage

All original interior, in excellent shape. No leaks or damage.

Waiting for someone to tick it over 20kmi

Original manuals AND dealer study guides

Example of surface imperfections on paint

Engine bay has some wear from sitting, is also all original outside of new battery.
Old May 20th, 2020, 07:12 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

For starters don't restore anything. Clean and preserve.
Safety items will need attention brakes, lines, tires, belts, hoses, fuel lines. Keep everything that you remove and catalog it.

This should clean up nicely.

A vert with AC and power windows is option enough. The cowl tag may list an option or two but not all.

The cowl tag will have a dash by the PNT(paint) code which indicates a custom ordered color. Post good pictures of the vin on the dash and the firewall cowl tage and we'll decode it.

As it sits its upper teens to 20K. This depends on exactly how clean the metal is. Door seams, trunk floor, floorboards, frame etc. Extremely clean maybe a bit more to the right buyer.
Old May 20th, 2020, 07:22 PM

Neat car and nice story. Keep it in the family it only happens once.

Keith
Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:55 AM

Thank you, that's great info! I will get pics of the tags and main condition areas and post them up here for decoding/discussion.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:56 AM

Are you looking to sell as is or troubleshoot all the problems from disuse? With the degree of visible rust under the hood, getting it on a lift to inspect the undercarriage would be very important for value especially a convertible. Not saying it couldnt be 20k miles, but for a southern car with that limited use and indoor storage, kinda surprised at the engine bay condition. Between tires, AC rebuild, probably brake system rebuild, fuel system rebuild, maybe suspension rebuild, exhaust replacement figure 2Kish if you can do the work yourself or knock 4Kish off the price to get the car roadworthy. With it not being stored particularly well, are there numerous dings and dents? While the flavor of the month is the "original" only once phase, the value is still greatly influenced by the condition. Depending on the body, paint, frame condition, I put the car in the high 4, low 3 condition. Values somewhere between 6500 lowest to 15K. Current #2 value is around 23K. This car is not a #2 regardless of the mileage. No effort quick sale? Start it at 12K and be willing to take less after a buyer combs over it and documents how much work it will take. No limit hold out sale? Start it at 18K and hope the guy just has to have it and can do all the work themselves to overpay. Unless it has a sentimental reason to buy, paying top dollar and then paying a shop to correct any and all problems will get the guy upside down quick.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by otto72
Neat car and nice story. Keep it in the family it only happens once.

Keith
I hear you, and that part tugs at me. I just don't feel I could spend the money and really enjoy this car, knowing how much of the value is in the low mileage. Part of me would be just happier letting it go, and then finding a high mileage driver if I really wanted to relive these memories. But certainly a challenging internal monologue!
Old May 22nd, 2020, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by deaddds
Are you looking to sell as is or troubleshoot all the problems from disuse? With the degree of visible rust under the hood, getting it on a lift to inspect the undercarriage would be very important for value especially a convertible. Not saying it couldnt be 20k miles, but for a southern car with that limited use and indoor storage, kinda surprised at the engine bay condition. Between tires, AC rebuild, probably brake system rebuild, fuel system rebuild, maybe suspension rebuild, exhaust replacement figure 2Kish if you can do the work yourself or knock 4Kish off the price to get the car roadworthy. With it not being stored particularly well, are there numerous dings and dents? While the flavor of the month is the "original" only once phase, the value is still greatly influenced by the condition. Depending on the body, paint, frame condition, I put the car in the high 4, low 3 condition. Values somewhere between 6500 lowest to 15K. Current #2 value is around 23K. This car is not a #2 regardless of the mileage. No effort quick sale? Start it at 12K and be willing to take less after a buyer combs over it and documents how much work it will take. No limit hold out sale? Start it at 18K and hope the guy just has to have it and can do all the work themselves to overpay. Unless it has a sentimental reason to buy, paying top dollar and then paying a shop to correct any and all problems will get the guy upside down quick.
Excellent info, thank you! We were surprised with the condition as well, since we were the only owners and know it was never driven in salt, snow, it was stored inside, etc, but certainly years of disuse got to it. Paint does not show any dings or scratches, but there's obviously the areas of attention on some of the trunk area surfaces, etc.

It's looking like we'll be going the route of a "no effort" sale as you put it, since we're selling the old family home and need to get it out of there. To your point as well, I could spend a ton of money and get it in great condition, but I'm leaning toward leaving it as-is and letting the buyer decide to what level they want to preserve or restore it.

Thanks again for the feedback and direction!
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:09 AM

Wow, that's a lovely car. '72 Supremes always speak to me. It does look more like 1971 code 43 Lime Green than Pinehurst - the cowl tag should tell the story as droldsmorland stated above. Love the whitewalls/wire hubcaps too.

Terry
Old May 22nd, 2020, 07:34 AM

That is definitely paint code 43 lime green - 1971 color

ANd6gAB.jpg
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 71 OLDS
That is definitely paint code 43 lime green - 1971 color

Beautiful! Was it available in '72 as well? The story was always the car was painted a '71 color on a '72 car, but I never knew the exact color.

Thank you!
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
Wow, that's a lovely car. '72 Supremes always speak to me. It does look more like 1971 code 43 Lime Green than Pinehurst - the cowl tag should tell the story as droldsmorland stated above. Love the whitewalls/wire hubcaps too.

Terry
Thank you! That means a lot, especially with your collection. Like I said, my grandfather wanted the best for his only daughter!
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:45 AM

See the paint codes/charts below. As you can see the paint code 43 was available in both 71 and 72 but it was not the same color. If it shows 43 in 72 that is supposed to be Pinehurst but that's a lighter green than the Lime green for 71. These charts are really old so the colors don't show up very well but I've had my Lime green 71 for almost 20 years now so I know my "greens" really well. Your car definitely appears to be the 71 version of paint code 43 = Lime green.

-Joe

9twjigk.jpg
LDJgden.jpg

Last edited by 71 OLDS; May 22nd, 2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:53 AM

For reference below is Pinehurst green:

0TW5CQn.jpg
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:57 AM

also if you look up/google pinehurst green Cutlass or 442s, you will see a bunch of them painted Lime green. My theory/guess on this is because the paint codes are the same # (43) when they have their cars restored/painted they think since they got paint code 43 green they have the right color. Most don't realize the slight difference in shade for a 71 paint code 43 vs a 72 paint code 43.

-Joe
Old May 22nd, 2020, 11:36 AM

Beautiful Car

This car is definitely the Pinehurst Green color. Here is a photo of my original paint 1972 Pinehurst Convertible.

Old May 22nd, 2020, 11:41 AM

Haha OK agree to disagree on that one. I think the pic with the hood open shows it's the darker 71 color. Whichever green it is - nice car!
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:11 PM

I would definitely be interested in buying if you would call me at 330-540-9843. Thanks, Dave
Old May 24th, 2020, 06:58 AM

Thank you for all the help and guidance on color! I'm going to take some pictures of the tags today so I can give a little more, well, color to the subject!

I've also had some great offers from people to come inspect it locally, so that everyone has a better idea of what we're dealing with from a standpoint of condition and needs. I'm going to set up something and get a more thorough condition report of the underside as well, and I'll report back here.

Thanks again!
Old June 21st, 2020, 11:14 AM

Sold! I had the great fortune of having a local forum member contact me, share his wealth of knowledge, and offer to take on the project. Thank you for this great community!
Old June 28th, 2020, 04:50 AM

I believe all that under hood corrosion is due to rodents, you can see where they got into the hood insulation. They love that stuff for making nests. And the rust on the header panels probably due to their urine, which is incredibly corrosive. I had a '61 Plymouth once that had similar damage from those blasted pests. I'd bet the underside of this car is really clean and that this car will no doubt be a real beauty when done!
Old June 28th, 2020, 07:38 PM

How bout some updates and pics from the buyer