Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1968 Olds 442 Post Car in Nice Shape Not Mine

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2023, 06:00 AM

1968 Olds 442 Post Car in Nice Shape Not Mine

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ct...592075889.html
Old March 4th, 2023, 06:42 AM

Damn how many times is this car getting sold. My brother and I bought it last summer at a farm auction, 80 year old guy had it in Wyoming.. its is a very very solid original rust free car..however its a turnpike cruiser with-a later model 4 barrel carb and manifold on it. We sold it to a dealer for 26k, that dealer in Wyoming sold it to a customer who then in turn traded it back into the same dealer, then the dealer just sold it at Barretts in Scottdale last month for 28k, now this dealer selling for 35k.. all in 8 months..lol.
Old March 4th, 2023, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Andy
Damn how many times is this car getting sold. My brother and I bought it last summer at a farm auction, 80 year old guy had it in Wyoming.. its is a very very solid original rust free car..however its a turnpike cruiser with-a later model 4 barrel carb and manifold on it. We sold it to a dealer for 26k, that dealer in Wyoming sold it to a customer who then in turn traded it back into the same dealer, then the dealer just sold it at Barretts in Scottdale last month for 28k, now this dealer selling for 35k.. all in 8 months..lol.
...but, but, but they upgraded it with window tinting, front fender stripes and custom hood stripes.
Old March 4th, 2023, 08:02 AM

The hood stripes were on it..lol. I hated them. They should gave removed hood stripes, never put the tender stripes back and then gently remove the paint from the window, trim, that postcards got the stainless or anodize aluminum trim around the doors, but some more on painted it. If they could’ve got that removed and polished up and just took the hood stripes off, it would’ve been gorgeous.
Old March 4th, 2023, 11:46 AM
Banned

It is crazy how cars get tossed here and there. Shows the lack of actual soul in so many buyers. Nothing but a widget.

Old March 4th, 2023, 12:22 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Thanks for the re-post, #1.

@Andy , how did you know this was originally a TC car? Does it have paperwork?
Old March 4th, 2023, 01:23 PM

I had it on classic old For sale, it’s still there I’m sure it’s sold shows sold. But everybody kept saying why has it got a curved oil tube and no AC because allegedly only cars with AC had the curved oil tube. All the numbers match engine ,trans everything matches on that car we couldn’t figure it out however several people I think Allie Olds was one of them that said that the intake manifold was from a 69 or 70 so I’m starting to think hmmm, somebody put that on there..searching turnpike cruisers and every picture I found of turnpike cruisers had no AC and they had a curved oil tube so it’s basically deductive. And my little brother and I have both owned a lot of muscle cars and he told me just doesn’t have the get up and go that he’s used to have a 400 Oldsmobile so it’s deducted but I guarantee you that’s correct. The air cleaner on it was a 1970 B body, I put the 68 442 breather on it. The trans code and tall rear gears were a dead giveaway..its. TP cruiser.

Last edited by Andy; March 4th, 2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old March 4th, 2023, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
Thanks for the re-post, #1.

@Andy , how did you know this was originally a TC car? Does it have paperwork?
Many years ago I bought a wrecked 1968 TC and I believe the transmission has a code specific to the Turnpike Cruiser.
Old March 4th, 2023, 05:13 PM

It does, if you look back on the thread when I had the car for sale there is a lot of back and forth dialogue.
Old March 4th, 2023, 05:55 PM

It appears that the CCC heat riser became universal in 68. What is interesting is that there was a path for that pipe without AC, and another with AC. Any clocked air cleaner with the long riser pipe that cleared AC had a bent oil tube to allow room for the chimney. I can't find a 2 barrel Olds v8 without AC out there to look at.

Old March 4th, 2023, 06:11 PM

Heres one

Last edited by Andy; March 4th, 2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old March 4th, 2023, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
It appears that the CCC heat riser became universal in 68. What is interesting is that there was a path for that pipe without AC, and another with AC. Any clocked air cleaner with the long riser pipe that cleared AC had a bent oil tube to allow room for the chimney. I can't find a 2 barrel Olds v8 without AC out there to look at.

I just posted a pic of a 68 turnpike engine , no ac, curved oil fill tube..
Old March 4th, 2023, 06:28 PM

Yours?
Old March 4th, 2023, 06:43 PM

Yours?
no, its one of the pics I found when Allyolds and I were trying to figure out the curved oil tube on the 68 in question that we sold. It wasn’t easy finding a pic with a TP without air..but I found a couple back last summer, thats what solved the mystery for us.
Old March 4th, 2023, 06:50 PM

This is the pic of the 68 in question when we received it, had a 1970 4 barrel and 1970 air breather on it. It was I believe an original TP cruiser before the 4 bbl was added.
Old March 4th, 2023, 08:22 PM

So, what was your conclusion? Why do, in your judgment, the TCs all have bent oil tubes? I missed where you said that in the threads.
Old March 5th, 2023, 06:13 AM

So, what was your conclusion? Why do, in your judgment, the TCs all have bent oil tubes? I missed where you said that in the threads.
When I first advertised the car as true numbers matching etc, showing vin and trans info etc, a few of the folks that own 68’s kept saying the only 442 with curved oil tube was an AC car. ( this car was never an AC car) Then I believe Allyolds who owns a couple 68’s enlightened me that the intake was a 1970..( I knew the air breather was from a B body car) so convo’s went back and forth on straight oil tubes versus curved etc, several mentioning maybe it was changed when the intake was put on etc. My brother was the one who verified all numbers, posted pics etc and I told him about the oil tube.. the car was purchased from an 80 year old man so we knew it was an original car for a long time with exception of intake etc. He had cleaned up the engine and swore it sure didn’t look like it the tube was ever changed?.Scott mentioned how clean and smooth it ran but said it was the doggiest 400 he ever drove, no umph..So I started thinking maybe its TP with a carb swap? That didn’t answer the curved oil tube dilemna. I started searching interweb for engine pics of 68 TP cars, most had AC, then I finally found a couple pics of 68 TP with no AC. Low and behold they both had curved fill tubes..I told Allyolds and he agreed, then I believe he noted the transmission number and felt that verified our thoughts..why Olds would use a curved tube on TP’s non AC..who knows..somebody on here may know..sorry so long..

Last edited by Andy; March 5th, 2023 at 06:19 AM.
Old March 5th, 2023, 06:41 AM

The two picks I found, different cars, but both look original with curved fill tube
Old March 5th, 2023, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to figure out why, however. I'm a car engineer; there's two reasons why we do things. One, we have to, and two, we had to on something else, so we're saving money by using a part that works for both. Since you have pics of non-AC 2 barrel air cleaners on the car, the surface level answer of it's there for the AC air cleaner is not sufficient. Looking at those pictures, one can see that a straight tube would work in this application. We know the straight tube exists, we see it on 442s. The fuel line does not appear to be in the way. I wish I knew what the Lansing engine plant looked like in terms of line layout.
Old March 5th, 2023, 09:04 AM

Maybe Joe Padavano or some of the older guys on here possibly worked on the production floor back in the day might have some type of explanation? Is it possible it was just a que to the assembly workers that this was a TP car for further assembly?
Old March 5th, 2023, 09:24 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Is it possible it was just a que to the assembly workers that this was a TP car for further assembly?
A chalk mark or a paint dab woulda been cheaper.
Old March 5th, 2023, 09:59 AM

Do you have an opinion on why or ???
Old March 5th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Do you have an opinion on why or ???
Well, it's my opinion that writing TC on the firewall in chalk would be less expensive than fitting an entirely different filler tube.
Old March 5th, 2023, 11:07 AM

Maybe maybe not, who knows.. i sure don’t
Old March 5th, 2023, 06:53 PM

My guess is that all the low compression 2bbl 400’s were set up the same way. I think the A/C and non A/C 400 received the same cam. That way they could use them with or without A\C in the 442 Turnpike Cruisers or Vista Cruisers.

Last edited by allyolds68; March 5th, 2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old March 5th, 2023, 09:46 PM
Banned

So not to divert. The 70 SX was originally a 455 version of the turnpike option. Are there numbers available of SX two barrels versus real W-32 cars?

PS: 70 W-32 cars were not balanced and blueprinted right?

Last edited by no1oldsfan; March 5th, 2023 at 09:52 PM.