Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1968 Cutlass S with 3 speed manual trans!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2013, 09:20 AM

1968 Cutlass S with 3 speed manual trans!!!

Hey guys I really don't want to sell my baby but my wifey and I are adopting a little boy and the blood sucking lawyers wanna get paid, so here we go!!!

1968 Cutlass S
Olds 350 motor (not original) rebuilt w/ small cam, edelbrock intake, Holley 650 carb, headers that go into dual flowmasters all the way out the rear (fully welded)
3 speed Saginaw trans with new clutch assembly
4 wheel drum brakes just fully rebuilt, stops nice for a non power brake setup!
Front end was rebuilt-any worn parts replace tie rods, etc drives straight and no rattles or pulling
Centerline wheels all around with new center caps and bullet lugs
Rear tires are BF Goodrich Comp T/A size 275/60 r15
Fronts are general size 205/65 r15
Nice rake and no the rears do not rub or stick out of the wheel wells
Custom autosounds stereo with original fader *****, looks really nice
Pioneer speakers all around, 3.5 in the stock location (2) and 6" in the rear deck (2) nice sounds for cruising, but high treble unit and could use a small sub to get big sound
Aftermarket autometer white faced gauges in stock location, big tach & speedo, then multi-gauge for temp, oil, volts-small gas gauge mounted under dash
New dash pad for a/c car with vents but the car is non a/c-better looking dash!!
New glovebox liner installed, and the dash has all the correct *****
Interior is black vinyl, recovered sometime in the last 40 years, looks like generic smooth re-cover (no detail) but no rips and looks nice, I just went through the interior and cleaned up doors, recovered the arm rests with soft material, and made a cutom olds rocket filler panel for the speaker deck-small detail that looks sharp!!

I got the car in trade last year, it was the warm grey metallic color with black vinyl top. The previous owner removed the top and most of the stainless and welded all the holes shut, the car is now in dark grey primer and needs final block to be ready for paint!! In my opinion a talented painter could have this car ready to spray in a day, the 1/4 panels have small patches behind the wheels (welded in) and the rest of the car looks rust free-bottoms of doors are nice and no evidence of rust on the fenders. This was a 3 on the tree car that was converted to a no name floor shift, also has 13" 3 spoke steering wheel. The trunk has some scale and surface but nothing more than a few pinholes, it's solid and nice-trust me I was laying in it installing the speakers and I'm a big boy!!
I know this is a lot of information and there is always more, if you have any questions please ask!! I will post more pics once it stops raining!!!

The best way to reach me is via text or phone (815) 274-0460
And the most important thing is $8500 obo, I checked NADA this morning and the avg pricing is almost 11k!!!
Thanks for looking!! And my name is Mike!!
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:33 AM

Forgot to mention the car is garage kept, and I have a clear Illinois title in my name-the car is located just south of Chicago.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:51 AM

formerly a straight-6 car?

Which side is the battery on?

photos?
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM

pics

should have vacumed-sorry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass8.jpg (48.6 KB, 259 views)
cutlass9.jpg (40.5 KB, 242 views)
cutlass3.jpg (53.7 KB, 238 views)
cutlass12.jpg (32.1 KB, 254 views)
cutlass2.jpg (43.9 KB, 250 views)
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:59 PM

more pics

if you want anymore pics please ask!!
Attached Images
cutlass1.jpg (43.2 KB, 167 views)
cutlass4.jpg (27.9 KB, 158 views)
cutlass5.jpg (41.4 KB, 150 views)
cutlass7.jpg (29.1 KB, 144 views)
cutlass13.jpg (32.9 KB, 135 views)
Old July 12th, 2013, 04:49 AM

Lots of lookers and no nibbles, am I overpriced??? If this was a Chevelle I would have a line around the block and double the $$$$....I really need to sell this car to help out my growing family, any great suggestions???
Old July 12th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

I checked NADA this morning and the avg pricing is almost 11k!!!
This is your biggest mistake. People do not like to be told how good a deal they are getting by a NADA comparison.
Your car is worth about $5500 on a good day.
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:02 AM

I have seem what's out there and 5500 is way low in my opinion, I figured I might start a little higher for wiggle room but....
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:53 AM
72 Olds CS

I don't think it's to far off, I would guess you could get 7k maybe a little more or less,but again there isn't a large market and the buyer most likely would have cash not needing a loan so that narrows the buying pool a bit as well.

All this assumes it runs well and doesn't need any major repairs.

You need to target your ads to your market, here, Jeffrois site, ccn, Craigslist. It looks like a nice car but unlike a daily driver these cars can take some time to sell.

GLWTS
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:30 AM

Ok so I am a realistic person that realizes that the market is tough especially in these hard economic times, so maybe offers of 7500 obo are more realistic. If anybody wants to talk realistically please call or text, and thanks guys!!!
Old July 13th, 2013, 07:23 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by Big Mikey
Ok so I am a realistic person that realizes that the market is tough especially in these hard economic times, so maybe offers of 7500 obo are more realistic. If anybody wants to talk realistically please call or text, and thanks guys!!!
Post the price you want.... If you think your car is worth 8.5k then ask that price, if someone is serious they will make you an offer and the worst thing for them is you can say no. That is the beauty of OBO that everyone seems to forget....

Ignore peoples responses on what they say they think you car is worth i say.
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Administrator

I think your asking price is not far off the mark, all it take is one person to fall in love. You have not had it for sale long, it can take 3-6 months to sell a car. Good luck.
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the positive words guys, I just need to get this beast sold for family reasons...it will be hitting eBay next week if nothing happens!!
Old July 27th, 2013, 05:14 AM

Ok guys time is growing short, I know that somebody is looking for a great driving project that's almost finished!!! Price drop to 7000 obo, and how many stick shift cutlasses are still out there???
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:51 AM

Had a few deals fall through at the last second, and the clock is ticking!!! I would rather somebody who loves Oldsmobiles get hold of this car, it's a nice solid driver with plenty of horsepower and torque...I guarantee that whoever gets this car is getting a hell of a deal at a very very fair to low new price of.....
$6000 obo come on guys I know it's gotta be temping somebody!!!!
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Your awful close to what I said ain't cha?
I have monitored cars and prices for years and know what Im talking about most of the time.
Olds is my specialty and you could advertise it for $500 and still not get a buyer if they don't like Olds! Olds is a tough sell to say the least.
What I would do is get a loan at the bank and pay what you need to then when you sell the car just pay the bank back and maybe by then you would have a few payments paid and then have a little spending money from the sale.
Try Craigslist( several places as far away as 500 miles) ( be prepared for some weirdos), Racing junk, and do Ebay for all the free ads you can.
Racing junk gives you 2 free ads at a time so put one on for 1 week and the third day put another one and as they drop out in a couple of days do it again that way you always have a fresh ad every couple of days. Make sure you don't do the long term ads because they move to the bottom and no one sees them after the first week.
(PS) NADA is good for telling how much a person can borrow from the bank on the car, thats all its good for, not how much the car is worth at all.
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:11 AM
Bfg

Cutlass

To bad the car had the original drive train removed, a 6 banger with the three on the tree should have been left alone. This was a rare car. But like always some one always seems to hack these rare birds up. It would have been worth more in original condition. Just my opinion!
Old August 12th, 2013, 01:23 AM

My belief is that it was a v8 car with 3 on the tree, but one of the precious owners rebuilt a "stronger" block.
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:44 PM

A 68 cutlass with a 6 banger is rare indeed. My 68 convertible is one of about 400 convertibles sold with a 6. It also had a lame 2 speed auto. Rare but no one wants one like that. I like mine much better with a 455 and 4 speed auto.

Good luck with the sale.
Old September 10th, 2013, 11:52 PM

Is this car still for sale? If so I would like to see some pictures of the underside. I am interested in finding a replacement for my 70 that just got wrecked. Let me know. Thanks.