Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1965 Dynamic 88 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:47 AM

1965 Dynamic 88 Convertible

I have been having a great time with my car, unfortunately, I found something different and I must part with it.
If anyone is interested, let me know. It's listed in the Buffalo Craigslist with pics.

Thanks,

-john
Old April 28th, 2014, 09:57 AM

Here's the link plus one photo. Too bad you have to sell it. It's a nice-looking car and well-priced.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4432587133.html

Old May 1st, 2014, 04:22 AM

Comments?

I would be interested in some feedback regarding the asking price. I am negotiable and I'm hoping that it's just the bad weather that is hampering people from visualizing fun in the sun with this ragtop.

It is also offered without the spinners if that helps.

Thanks,

-john
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PIC_0012-t.jpg (114.1 KB, 51 views)
PIC_10009.jpg (73.7 KB, 50 views)
PIC_0013-t.jpg (100.9 KB, 44 views)
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by johns72olds
I would be interested in some feedback regarding the asking price.
The Old Cars Price Guide values a '65 Dynamic 88 convertible in #3 condition ("car show" but not showroom) at about $9,500, so, as I said above, I think your asking price is very fair if not a bit generous.

But I do have some other comments.

1. PUT MORE PHOTOS UP!!! I see this all the time with ads. This is the age of digital photography. If you can take 5 photos, you can take 50 or 500, and if you can upload 5 you can upload 10 or whatever craigslist allows. If craigslist limits you, put them on a photo-sharing site like picasa or photobucket and provide a link to it. You have 5 photos of your car on craigslist, but the only one of the engine is from a distance, so you can't see it, and you have none of the interior, none of the trunk, nothing of the underside. I'd suggest more photos.

2. The car is nice, but your ad has this cryptic comment "while the car is not perfect." We don't expect the car to be perfect, but a comment like this immediately causes the reader to wonder what's wrong. DESCRIBE the car's issues, however minor. If you're going to bring up the topic of what's wrong with the car, don't say, essentially, "there are things wrong with the car, but I'm not going to tell you what they are." You can put a lot more text in your ad without making it verbose.

The ad is what generates the initial interest. I see this a lot in craigslist ads. People will put up two photos (or even NO photos sometimes), a three word description, and assume that that will be enough to get someone to pick up the phone or send them an email. It doesn't work that way in most instances. Your ad is your initial contact with the outside world. Put it to work for you.

3. How long have you had this car for sale? Your initial posting, at least on this site, was only a few days ago. You can't put up an ad, get no response in the first three days, and immediately assume something is wrong. These things can take time. A purchase like this is totally discretionary for people, and not everyone has $7,500 or whatever to drop on something like this at a moment's notice. You might be advertising for six months. You never know. You have to be patient. Selling a car is not for the faint of heart.

Good luck.
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM

One other comment. Are you advertising this car anywhere besides here and craigslist? Those are good, but I would try to get it in front of as many people as possible. If you're a member of the Oldsmobile Club of America, put an ad in Journey with Olds, and include a photo. It'll get seen by more Olds enthusiasts, who are your most likely buyers, at one time than any other venue. You might think about putting an ad in Hemmings, too. That'll likely cost some money, but this car looks to be at a high-enough quality level to justify the effort and expense, and, again, you'll get your car in front of the audience most likely to buy it.
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:26 AM

Jaunty75,
Your comments are great! I am in no hurry to sell the car and my request for comments was simply because I didn't want to list it for an obnoxious price when the market may be soft for full body Oldsmobile’s.
The value of any vehicle is only what someone is willing to pay.
This car originated in Alabama and I have had it for 5 years. I have really enjoyed it and it has been a great conversation piece with others at local cruises. The "not perfect" quote was probably not the best descriptor; however, I was just trying to be honest. I would rather discuss this topic rather than listing all the little details and leaving that for interpretation.
With that said, I have seen many cars that list "no rust" meaning it's filled with putty. This car is extremely solid and unfortunately, the only way to appreciate that is to see it in person and knock on the panels.
Craigslist and here are the only places it's listed. I will try to get some detailed pics of the interior, truck and underside when the weather is better.
This car can be enjoyed as it is or someone can take it to the next level.
I happened across a different car that I couldn't pass up (1969 442) and that is the ONLY reason I'm in this situation. If my wife wouldn't mind and I had more room, it wouldn't be for sale.
I would love for someone who likes this style to have the opportunity to enjoy it as much as I did.
Thanks again for responding with some very meaningful advice.
Old May 1st, 2014, 07:49 AM

Glad to be of help.

I've developed this sort of internal "things that **** me off about craigslist ads." The three most common are:

1. No photos.

2. Only one or two photos, or photos so bad (out of focus, bad angle, poor light) that there might as well be no photos. I can't tell you how many times I've seen an ad with one photo of the car tucked in a dark corner of the garage. The photo will be too dark, out of focus, and from too much of a distance to be of any value. If you're trying to sell a car, pull it out into the sun, clean it off, and get some decent photos!

3. Poor or virtually no description.

4. Wise-*** comments like "no tire kickers" or "price not negotiable because I don't have to sell the car." You're selling a car. Tire-kickers go with the territory. And people don't usually self-identify as tire-kickers. Also, there is no such thing as a non-negotiable price.

OK, so that's four things that **** me off.
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:20 AM

Nice looking car "but" most people love the A-bodies. The price is fair "but" cash is tight. People can walk in and buy a $30, 000 car on credit but try to sell/give away a $3,000 car. From now on if I'm going to sell a car I'll start in January. People start getting tax return $. I have a solid 1966 Dynamic convertible tucked away but I hesitate to do it because they are money pits and tuff to sell. Good luck with the sale. Ken

Last edited by Kennybill; May 1st, 2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: wrong model
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:35 AM
Administrator

I think your price is more than fair and well worth the money. Like everyone stated, it takes time and all it takes is one person to fall in love to move it. Good luck with your sale.
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
I have a solid 1966 Delmont convertible
Can't be a Delmont. That model name wasn't used until 1967. For a '66 88, it's gotta be a Delta or a Dynamic.
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM

Correct Jaunty. The one stuffed away is a 1966 Dynamic 88. I also had a 1968 Delmont 88 that I sold a few years ago. Senior moment! I came across some Delmont stuff while digging out some 98 parts yesterday. Ken
Old May 1st, 2014, 12:19 PM

Ken, Eric,
Thanks for your comments. I really like this car (love is a little much) and it pains me to have to get rid of it. I just would like to see it go to someone who really appreciates these models. It's extra cool when I added the Historical NYS world’s fair license plate (Black with Gold) with the commemorative plate for the front. Those items generated as much discussion as the car did.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 03:43 AM

wow

What a beautiful car! I really enjoyed reading through this thread, especially all the really honest and spot on advice about listing a car.

I am really looking for one of these, but this one is an odd combination of just not right.

I don't like white, but your car is way too nice to repaint. If I repainted it, the two colors I would like wouldn't look right with that interior.

I think your price is a good start! I don't think you will have any trouble selling this car. Good luck and you seem like a great person!

Cheers.

Eric
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:31 AM

Thanks, Eric

I hope you find what you're looking for. I imagine blue or red with a white or black interior are in your thoughts.
Funny you should say that about the color combo because a guy locally told me he would buy it if it wasn't white.
I don't see many or any of these around in my area so just pulling into a cruise night with this stirs some attention.
Oh well...I think once I start tooling around town with the top down (once the weather finally breaks) the color might not be so important to prospective buyers.
Thanks for your interest and happy hunting.

-john
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by johns72olds
Thanks, Eric

I hope you find what you're looking for. I imagine blue or red with a white or black interior are in your thoughts.
Funny you should say that about the color combo because a guy locally told me he would buy it if it wasn't white.
I don't see many or any of these around in my area so just pulling into a cruise night with this stirs some attention.
Oh well...I think once I start tooling around town with the top down (once the weather finally breaks) the color might not be so important to prospective buyers.
Thanks for your interest and happy hunting.

-john

John,

Thank you, I never have liked white. My colors would be Yellow with Black top and interior or Black with red interior and white top.

I really hope the weather breaks soon!

Cheers!

Eric
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:36 PM

65 88 convert

here's one needing paint not mine http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/4423397544.html
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:23 PM

I added more pics and lowered my asking price.

-john

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4486640712.html
Old May 27th, 2014, 11:08 AM

The car is SOLD...I will be deleting the craigslist ad after the deal is finalized this weekend.
-john
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Administrator

WTG, glad it worked out for you.