ClassicOldsmobile.com

ClassicOldsmobile.com (/forums/)
-   Care and Appearance (https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/care-appearance/)
-   -   Best Chrome Polish I've Ever Used (https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/care-appearance/16351-best-chrome-polish-ive-ever-used.html)

Dan Wirth September 14th, 2009 09:05 PM

Best Chrome Polish I've Ever Used

I have a few light scratch marks on my chrome on the door trim near the windows that were bugging me. And to top it off, in trying to get the scratches out, I made things worse by the swirls from the chrome polish I was using. So in my usual quest for perfection, I did some leg work to find the best chrome polish possible.

A paint and body shop recommended Mother's "Mag and Aluminum Polish" - which isn't advertised as a chrome polish at all, but the directions say it polishes all metals. And what a polish it turned out to be! :D This stuff (used sparringly) works like a champ, removing all the scratches and swirls and with not too much effort. It almost has the consistency of jeweler's rouge, very fine.

442garage September 14th, 2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth (Post 107854)
I have a few light scratch marks on my chrome on the door trim near the windows that were bugging me. And to top it off, in trying to get the scratches out, I made things worse by the swirls from the chrome polish I was using. So in my usual quest for perfection, I did some leg work to find the best chrome polish possible.

A paint and body shop recommended Mother's "Mag and Aluminum Polish" - which isn't advertised as a chrome polish at all, but the directions say it polishes all metals. And what a polish it turned out to be! :D This stuff (used sparringly) works like a champ, removing all the scratches and swirls and with not too much effort. It almost has the consistency of jeweler's rouge, very fine.

X2.

Les

OLD SKL 69 September 14th, 2009 09:14 PM

I have not tried that polish, I will have to check it out. I have been using Busch's chrome polish which works very well.

Yellowstatue September 15th, 2009 04:34 AM

Smoooth

I use 'Flitz' ...seems to well for me...

Lady72nRob71 September 15th, 2009 06:03 AM

I have some of that at home - great on aluminum and for the first stage of restoring clear hard plastic.
On my jar, the directions said NOT for use on chrome... Hmm... I need to find a scrap piece and try it! I need to do my wheel trim rings also.
I used Brasso on my center caps and it worked well, despite being as old as the car... :rolleyes: The fumes are a bonus... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

rocketraider September 15th, 2009 06:12 AM

Mother's is good, as are Blue Magic, Flitz and Wenol. Nevr-Dull wadding polish is good but can take quite a bit of effort on hard-surface metals like chrome.

Lately I've been using a polish called NOXON 7 and like it a lot. Seems to work especially good on brass and aluminum; an antique shop I do a lot of business with recommended it.

My442 September 15th, 2009 07:11 AM

Nothing beats Autosol, especially on chrome and stainless.

Dan Wirth September 15th, 2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71 (Post 107896)
On my jar, the directions said NOT for use on chrome... Hmm... I need to find a scrap piece and try it! I need to do my wheel trim rings also.
I used Brasso on my center caps and it worked well, despite being as old as the car... :rolleyes: The fumes are a bonus... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

---------------------------------------------------

You are right, I checked the labels again and on the back label it says "Not recommended for gold plating, chrome, anodized, painted or coated metals". However, on the front label it states "Perfect for all metals". Odd that the manufacturer would contradict itself on their product. But I will say that I tried it on a problem chrome area, per the paint & body professional's advise, and it worked great. I used it sparingly though and rubbed the area gently and only until the spot on the rag turned black, then polished with microfiber (per instructions). Also per the instructions it states " NOTE: If black residue does not appear, STOP, it is not a polishable metal".

I still recommend the product on chrome and will continue to use it, but only you can be the judge.

Thanks for your replies and the other chrome polish recommendations.

Dan

FStanley February 6th, 2017 03:38 PM

Surprised no mention of Wenol.

I clean item 1st with soap and water.

I like Red to start with then Blue. Like on Stainless..

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/classic...3eedb88c43.jpg

Blue to start with on chrome..

Then a good wax to seal.

Fred
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/classic...19bbd5928f.jpg

joe_padavano February 7th, 2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FStanley (Post 989267)
Surprised no mention of Wenol.

Surprised you managed to dig up an eight year old thread... ;)

RROLDSX February 7th, 2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My442 (Post 107910)
Nothing beats Autosol, especially on chrome and stainless.

X2, it's the best.

olds 307 and 403 February 7th, 2017 04:27 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/classic...8a0a2bf2c7.jpg
I liked the Mother's okay but Blue Magic is better. We don't have some of those brands here.

RROLDSX February 7th, 2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RROLDSX (Post 989441)
X2, it's the best.

It's available on EBay made in Germany.