Buyer & Seller Feedback This thread is the place to put Buyer or Seller feedback. Be sure to CHECK THE RULES before you post!

Positive review of MC Wheels

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:30 AM

Positive review of MC Wheels--SSIII wheels 15X8

I wanted some 15X8 SSIII wheels and saw MCWheels selling some many months ago. After contacting him and talking with him, he was saying all the right things about how to do this, and said he could do at a very fair price ($320 for a pair IIRC plus shipping). I was excited to go this route because he could place the center to get whatever offset I wanted, and I was getting these for the rears and wanted as much room as possible for the LS1 rear brakes I was installing (yes they'll clear w/spacers!).

So then I looked at previous write ups on Curt (MCWheels) with a lot of bad experience from a few years ago. But the general tenor of the reports was that he had never ripped anyone off, and eventually people got their wheels. For those that sent him wheels that could be a problem. But in my case, he was going to provide the complete wheel (including the centers) so I didn't have that risk, plus I wasn't in a great hurry. So I've been trying to buy these from him for about 8 months, and every time I call he tells me his supplier of rim shells can't produce but its just going to be a few more weeks. But he never asked me to send any money in advance or anything that would make me nervous about the deal. Finally he called me a few weeks ago and said they were in. Took a few more days to complete and shipped to me in Ohio was $365. I planned on getting another set but wanted to verify both performance and quality and didn't want to risk double the price. So I get the two in, and one has a slight dent on the rim from shipping. I talk to Curt and he's willing to take back (he has $200 insurance in shipping) but its been so tough to get I decided to just keep. Because of the slight damage on the one he reduced the price on the second set to $340 shipped.

The welds looked good (penetration was good all the way around) and both sets balanced (one a bit more off than the other but acceptable). Overall, if you are willing to wait, this is a very good option (especially the ability to get the offset what you wanted). Picture is as arrived and then second is after painting getting them mounted at Costco (only place that has nitrogen air here). Won't go on the car until spring, but I got 'em. Gonna love having 275X60X15s on!

Bottom line: I would purchase again with the same caveats; he supplies everything and don't be especially in a hurry. But I'm very pleased with the result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2466.JPG (640.1 KB, 18 views)
IMG_2467.JPG (674.3 KB, 18 views)
IMG_2420.JPG (632.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Goldhawg; December 23rd, 2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:49 AM
Hookers under Hood

How many ounces of weight did they take to balance? Is the weight all to the inside ( stick on)?
Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:14 AM
Cory

How did you get the red paint to stick to the chrome?
Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by dream66
How did you get the red paint to stick to the chrome?
The center section is not chromed; Curt bead blasted the centers prior to mounting and I had my local body shop paint. They told me there will be no problems with adherence to the metal. And I've had the same rims in 15X7 painted for years w/no problems (minor exception of some wear in the lug nut area).
Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
How many ounces of weight did they take to balance? Is the weight all to the inside ( stick on)?
Sorry but I don't remember. I've already stored them and a bit of a pain to get to. I did use the best pair of wheels for the 1st set. But I had a tire guy put the bare rims on the balancer prior to painting in case I needed to return to Curt and he said both sets were fine, just the one set noticeably better than the first.
Old March 18th, 2019, 03:36 PM

Update, but believe it or not, I just finally installed the wheels on my car, and now that salt is off the road in Ohio, I've started driving last week on sunnier days. This size wheel (15X8, 275 60 15) is PERFECT in our cars. Haven't decided if I'll put a 1" lowering spring in the rear or not.

Last edited by Goldhawg; March 23rd, 2019 at 04:38 AM. Reason: correct tire size
Old March 18th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Hookers under Hood

I love the look , really nice car and paint colour .
Perfect decision on the rims and tire sizes. It looks like a beast from the back end.
Good to hear you could take it out for a cruise, I'm hoping on an early spring here as well. Getting the itch to pull our Olds out for the season.
Thanks for the pics, you can post as many as you like because we all like pics here.

Eric
Old March 18th, 2019, 04:54 PM
72 Olds CS

im w Eric... looks good !!!
Old March 18th, 2019, 06:42 PM
Administrator

X3, looks awesome.