Buyer & Seller Feedback This thread is the place to put Buyer or Seller feedback. Be sure to CHECK THE RULES before you post!

Bad Deal

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2015, 03:31 PM

Angry Bad Deal

If you buy parts from lemoldsnut, be careful. I just received a 67 dash bezel that cost $340.00 to get to my door. It's a great deal, if a person doesn't mind trying to mend a 6" crack in a piece of plastic. Seems to me, this cat is no more than a common thief. Other than that, a great deal.

Someokie
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:00 PM
72 Olds CS

that stinks,

did you guys exchange pics and discuss condition before striking a deal ?

is it possible it was damaged during shipping ?

have you contacted lemoldsnut to discuss ?
Old September 9th, 2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by someokie
If you buy parts from lemoldsnut, be careful. I just received a 67 dash bezel that cost $340.00 to get to my door. It's a great deal, if a person doesn't mind trying to mend a 6" crack in a piece of plastic. Seems to me, this cat is no more than a common thief. Other than that, a great deal.

Someokie
Wow are you sure it didn't get damaged in shipping. How about a picture of the damaged part. This is a well known parts seller on this site. I find this comment towards him disturbing to say the least. I bought from him and found him to be a honest with parts as described.

Last edited by wr1970; September 9th, 2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I find this surprising.

- Eric
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by retroranger
that stinks,

Is it possible it was damaged during shipping ?

Have you contacted lemoldsnut to discuss ?
x2
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:35 PM

You saved the packaging and took photos as you unwrapped it, right?

And of course discussed it with the sender/ seller to see what went wrong?

I had a guy stop payment on a ck once because I sent him a "bad crank". I says, make the payment good and I will send you another. He says, oh you are trying to RIP ME OFF. I says, why the hell would I SEND A PART if I was out to rip you off. That shipping cost me about $40. Sheeeesh. I inspected the next crank VEEEEERY carefully. The first one was a bad thrust surface, which I neglected to check for, having never had a bad one before. Of course I took the guy's word for it that the 1st crank in fact had a bad thrust surface. Not worth shipping a junk crank back to me just to find out, and if I asked for a pic he could have sent a photo of ANY crank.

Give the seller a chance...

Last edited by Octania; September 9th, 2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Man, I am hoping you have answered all of the above questions before making a comment with such negative connotations.........I shipped a a 67 dash and it arrived broken. The fellow CO member thankfully did not post as you have done. Be sure of your facts.
Old September 10th, 2015, 10:53 AM

Lemoldsnut is a very respected member/seller here on this site. Perhaps the shipping company is the problem here. Was the Box/crate/container damaged at all? These dashes are almost 50 years old and very fragile. I really don't think he would sell you anything without an excellent description of any problems the part has. Talk to him first before you start slamming him. Hes a good guy. I build a plywood box to send my 67 dash panel from Texas to Wisconson for plating. It was surrounded with styrofoam peanuts inside,made it there and back no problem.
Old September 10th, 2015, 11:41 AM

I seem to recall back when the idea of a separate forum for people to leave "feedback" about their buying and selling experiences was being debated, that some people raised a concern about exactly what's happening in this thread happening.

If all feedback is supposed to be positive, what's the point of the forum? If someone does have a negative experience, shouldn't they be allowed to post that without fear of being attacked by everyone BUT the person who he had the bad experience with? Shouldn't the person who is being criticized be responsible for jumping in and defending himself or working with the buyer to fix the problem?

Perhaps this "buyer and seller feedback forum," now that it's been around a while and we can see what it has and hasn't accomplished, should be discontinued as it is doesn't appear to be serving its intended purpose.
Old September 10th, 2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I seem to recall back when the idea of a separate forum for people to leave "feedback" about their buying and selling experiences was being debated, that some people raised a concern about exactly what's happening in this thread happening.

If all feedback is supposed to be positive, what's the point of the forum? If someone does have a negative experience, shouldn't they be allowed to post that without fear of being attacked by everyone BUT the person who he had the bad experience with? Shouldn't the person who is being criticized be responsible for jumping in and defending himself or working with the buyer to fix the problem?

Perhaps this "buyer and seller feedback forum," now that it's been around a while and we can see what it has and hasn't accomplished, should be discontinued as it is doesn't appear to be serving its intended purpose.
Looks like You just attacked everyone except the op!!The comments were to find out if the op contacted the seller before flying off the handle and making a post aimed at discrediting said seller. When it may be for a just a delivery problem!
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
The comments were to find out if the op contacted the seller before flying off the handle and making a post aimed at discrediting said seller. When it may be for a just a delivery problem!
It is not up to anyone else to decide whether or not the OP is "flying off the handle" or to suggest such a thing. No one else has any idea if the issue is "just a delivery problem". This is for the buyer and seller to work out and no one else.

For this "buyer and seller feedback" forum to work, when a new thread is created by someone who wants to leave feedback about a seller or buyer, the ONLY people who should be permitted to post in that thread are the person who started the thread and the person about whom the comments are being left. No one else. Nothing is gained by 20 other people chiming in about an issue about which they know nothing.

I'm sure the moderators could set up the forum to work this way and restrict who can and cannot post.
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:43 PM

It is not up to anyone else to decide whether or not the OP is "flying off the handle" or to suggest such a thing. No one else has any idea if the issue is "just a delivery problem". This is for the buyer and seller to work out and no one else.

For this "buyer and seller feedback" forum to work, when a new thread is created by someone who wants to leave feedback about a seller or buyer, the ONLY people who should be permitted to post in that thread are the person who started the thread and the person about whom the comments are being left. No one else. Nothing is gained by 20 other people chiming in about an issue about which they know nothing.

I'm sure the moderators could set up the forum to work this way and restrict who can and cannot post.
I sincerely doubt that anyone could set up automatic controls for such a scenario. And this IS a Forum, free for anyone to post whatever they like (within the Forum guidelines).
And unless I missed your promotion, these types of things are up to a Mod to monitor and control .......... (that's why they get paid the BIG BUCKS).
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by RandyS
I sincerely doubt that anyone could set up automatic controls for such a scenario.
You don't know this.

And this IS a Forum, free for anyone to post whatever they like (within the Forum guidelines).
It shouldn't be. It's not a typical forum. It's a discussion about PEOPLE who actually use this siite, not about cars or parts, and something like that, as has happened here, can turn nasty quickly.

And unless I missed your promotion, these types of things are up to a Mod to monitor and control
I didn't say I control anything, nor should I. But that doesn't mean I or anyone can't make suggestions.
Old September 10th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It shouldn't be.
And there shouldn't be war, hunger, or misadjusted underwear, either.

... as has happened here, [it] can turn nasty quickly.
The only nastiness I observed was in the OP's post, which may or may not be justified, but we don't know enough yet to judge that.

- Eric
Old September 10th, 2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
And there shouldn't be war, hunger, or misadjusted underwear, either.
This is about as useless a comment as we've had today.

The only nastiness I observed was in the OP's post, which may or may not be justified, but we don't know enough yet to judge that.
"We" are not at issue here. It's not up to us to decide whether or not the comment is justified. If you're going to have a feedback forum at all, people are going to say what's on their mind. Others might not like those comments, but that goes with the territory. One person's "nastiness" is another person's heartfelt comment.

I'm sure everyone here is aware of how the ebay feedback system works, and I'm sure that system is why a feedback process was requested and initiated on this site.

But take note of exactly HOW the ebay feedback system works. Only the buyer and seller, the people actually involved in the transaction, are allowed to comment. Not the rest of the universe. Second, the buyer and seller are allowed to respond to the other person's comment, but only once, so that the feedback about the transaction doesn't turn into a bitter, novel-length discussion.

There are very good reasons for why ebay does this, and they are reasons that should be taken to heart by the operators of this site.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 10th, 2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Just my 2 cents worth.
This section of the forum is set up to help the members decide if they want to or feel safe dealing with a member or vendor. It should not be a discussion area and posts should be limited to FACTS only from the parties involved. If you have a comment about a dealing YOU had with the same individual or company, you should post it in a separate thread, not hijack someone else's thread.
The good as well as the bad should be posted. It serves no purpose otherwise. BUT, it should be monitored to verify ONLY the facts of the transaction are posted from the participants.
My apologies to the OP for jumping into the thread but....
Old September 10th, 2015, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ezman604
posts should be limited to FACTS only from the parties involved.
Which is exactly what I've been saying.
Old September 10th, 2015, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=MDchanic;856004]And there shouldn't be war, hunger, or misadjusted underwear, either.

Humor always makes my day.
Old September 10th, 2015, 02:13 PM
72 Olds CS

I'm sure everyone here is aware of how the ebay feedback system works, and I'm sure that system is why a feedback process was requested and initiated on this site.

But take note of exactly HOW the ebay feedback system works. Only the buyer and seller, the people actually involved in the transaction, are allowed to comment. Not the rest of the universe. Second, the buyer and seller are allowed to respond to the other person's comment, but only once, so that the feedback about the transaction doesn't turn into a bitter, novel-length discussion.

There are very good reasons for why ebay does this, and they are reasons that should be taken to heart by the operators of this site.

Sorry Jaunty thats not how the ebay feedback system works...unfortunetly they have modified their system to be useless.

sellers can only leave positive feedback for buyers. buyers can leave any kind of feedback w impugnity for sellers.

I believe you can leave at least 2 comments per feedback string

so ebays feedback system is now broken.

CO feedback system while not perfect is good to at a minimum promote dialogue as this thread has done.

it would be good to hear more from the OP or lemoldsnut most likely this is a misunderstanding or damaged in shipping case that will be resolved and the feedback system will have worked

IMHO i dont think anyone has jumped on the OP but has asked pertinent questions that will result in a resolution.
Old September 10th, 2015, 02:17 PM

OK, I apologize for not have the ebay system exactly right. It has changed over time. But the main feature of their system, and the system that should be adopted here, is that only the seller and buyer leave comments about a transaction. No one else.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 10th, 2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
IMHO i dont think anyone has jumped on the OP but has asked pertinent questions that will result in a resolution.
Everyone has been saying this, but I think the comments directed at the OP (see below) have been a little more harsh than simply requests for clarification. In reading the comments below, there is a piling-on aspect to them, and it is clear that people are taking the buyer to task here and asking him to justify his comments. He doesn't have to do that. He can say what he thinks and be done with it. That's what feedback is. The rest of us take the comment into consideration, or not, when deciding whether to do business with the seller in question.

that stinks,

is it possible it was damaged during shipping ?

have you contacted lemoldsnut to discuss ?
Wow are you sure it didn't get damaged in shipping. How about a picture of the damaged part. This is a well known parts seller on this site. I find this comment towards him disturbing to say the least. I bought from him and found him to be a honest with parts as described.
I find this surprising.
Originally Posted by nsnarsk65cutlass
x2
Originally Posted by Octania
You saved the packaging and took photos as you unwrapped it, right?

And of course discussed it with the sender/ seller to see what went wrong?

Give the seller a chance...
Originally Posted by sammy
Man, I am hoping you have answered all of the above questions before making a comment with such negative connotations
Originally Posted by steverw
Lemoldsnut is a very respected member/seller here on this site.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 10th, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 02:44 PM

my thoughts

Am I the only person wondering why the accused party has not replied either to deny & defend himself or offer an explanation?

Not accusing anyone of anything nor am I picking sides. Just saying the silence of the accused is odd.
Old September 10th, 2015, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Am I the only person wondering why the accused party has not replied either to deny & defend himself or offer an explanation?
He is not required to defend himself or reply to anything. He may not have seen the thread. He may have seen it and decided not to reply. One could equally ask why the buyer who started this thread hasn't come back to respond. He doesn't have to, either.

One of the great truths of retailing, whether you're a one-at-a-time seller on ebay or an owner of a chain of brick-and-mortar stores is that, no matter how good a person you are and how hard you try in the operation of your business, there will always be that occasional disgruntled customer. You accept that and move on, and you hope that the great preponderance of positive experiences outweighs the occasional bad one.

Fairly or unfairly, "the customer is always right."

Last edited by jaunty75; September 10th, 2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Actually you are all correct. This forum is for peer review, both parties are to be responsible to provide facts for both the complaint and the response. The moderators are here to keep it respectful and truthful. You have to take the good with the bad and yes, hopefully the op and the supplier had started the conversation between themselves before just jumping on here. Time will tell on how this started and whether it gets to a solution that both parties are happy with. We should not be jumping to conclusions or pointing fingers. Give it some time and let the two parties work it out or we get more info. There are two sides to consider.
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
This forum is for peer review

You have to take the good with the bad

We should not be jumping to conclusions or pointing fingers.

There are two sides to consider.
Thanks for saying what I've been saying. Except when I say it, I get called "abrasive."
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:35 PM

You were pointing a finger at posters who were questioning if the op had discussed this with seller
You miss the point. Those postings were NOT just "questioning" the OP about his comments or about whether he discussed this or that with the seller (which is he is not obligated to do). They were borderline, if not over the line in some cases, nasty.

The comment by "sammy," in particular, was pretty accusatory:

Man, I am hoping you have answered all of the above questions before making a comment with such negative connotations
Who is sammy to say that the OP has to "answer all of the above questions before making a comment"? Who says that the OP has to answer any questions? And who is going to ask them?

Feedback is what it is. He had an experience, and he posted about it. That can be the end of story as far as he is concerned, and apparently it is as he hasn't been back (and who could blame him).
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Administrator

If you guys want to sling poop, do it in a pm.
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:37 PM

We're not slinging poop. We're just leaving feedback about each other.
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:48 PM

We're not slinging poop. We're just leaving feedback about each other.
None of my comments in my post to the op were out of line. All were in the guide lines. You sir are out of line. The offer was made Eric to this person to carry to a pm he is slinging poop.
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM

This whole episode (even before I got involved) just affirms some of the concerns that were raised back when the idea of having a feedback forum was being discussed.

Until this point, all the feedback I've seen posted has been positive if not outright glowing. But the first time someone says something unflattering about a seller, what happens? Everyone jumps down HIS throat demanding that he explain himself, especially, as in this case, where the seller has lots of friends.

If this is going to be the result every time someone has something not totally flattering to say about someone they were involved with in a transaction, it will have a very chilling effect on the whole feedback process as people who have a bad experience will not want to say so in fear of the response the OP in this case received.

If people become reluctant to leave feedback, there's no point in having the feedback forum at all.
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:52 PM

All were in the guide lines.
Show us the guidelines where it says that people not involved in the transaction about which feedback is being left can come in and demand that the OP explain himself.

I noticed that at the top of this page, it says "check the rules before you post." Where are the rules?
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:53 PM
72 Olds CS

Feedback is what it is. He had an experience, and he posted about it. That can be the end of story as far as he is concerned, and apparently it is as he hasn't been back (and who could blame him).

true feedback is what it is but to be credible feedback one should support their opinions w fact, discussion and ancillary evidence like pictures.

I recently read feedback on a large engine rebuilding facility, some of it while 100% true did not warrent the negative feedback it received, ie one theme was the engine rebuilder put used parts in the newly rebuilt engines. If it was a new car that would be an issue but a rebuilt engine may have many used parts in it. A simple case of the posters not fully understanding the rebuilding process, but feeling duped and leaving negative feedback. If the purchasers had instead had a discussion w the rebuilder (or someone in the know) they would realise no negative feedback was warrented.

so to simply post negative feedback w no other discussion etc. is probably not as useful or helpful as asserting your position and supporting it w whatever is necessary.

Im not blaming the OP he may not know that his first recourse should be talking to the seller. I tried to help out in the first post suggesting useful courses of action.
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:56 PM

This whole episode (even before I got involved) just affirms some of the concerns that were raised back when the idea of having a feedback forum was being discussed.

Until this point, all the feedback I've seen posted has been positive if not outright glowing. But the first time someone says something unflattering about a seller, what happens? Everyone jumps down HIS throat demanding that he explain himself, especially, as in this case, where the seller has lots of friends.

If this is going to be the result every time someone has something not totally flattering to say about someone they were involved with in a transaction, it will have a very chilling effect on the whole feedback process as people who have a bad experience will not want to say so in fear of the response the OP in this case received.

If people become reluctant to leave feedback, there's no point in having the feedback forum at all.
I left nothing negative to the op. You sir flamed just about everyone here who posted and that is out of the guide lines.Frankly you have proved beyond a doubt your mission is poop slinging.Good day and good bye done here.

Last edited by wr1970; September 10th, 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:00 PM

so to simply post negative feedback w no other discussion etc. is probably not as useful or helpful as asserting your position and supporting it w whatever is necessary.
I agree with you 1000%! It would be very helpful for the OP to go further and explain what steps he took to resolve the problem, etc., etc., etc., but there is no obligation on his part to do so. That's both the positive and the negative of feedback forums.

Which is why we usually take feedback with a grain of salt when it's left for someone the way the OP did here. I know I would. But what he posted is one data point. If another person came along and posted a similar experience with the seller, well, now we're learning something, and that's the value of feedback. When there is a very small number of feedbacks about someone, we usually don't trust it very far. But when we see many feedbacks about someone, and we see a pattern develop, we have more confidence that what we're reading, good or bad, is true.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 10th, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:00 PM

done here.
I hope we can believe this.
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:05 PM

WOW did not contact me did not call or email or even say hey this came with an issue. Just trashed me. When we discussed this dash it was that it has some minor cracks as they all do. It has no other cracks when left me. We discussed it having three very good points that are almost always not good. the lighter area not melted, the speaker grill intact not broken, and the radio area no modified. He was going to restore it. He knew it was used and not refurbished in anyway. But he did not contact me at all just this nasty post. I did not reply as I was not on the site yesterday or today.

Oh and by the way he called me made the deal to purchase and said would send me a check for a dash insert that he was going to restore. Yet he had already destroyed one trying to restore it himself. After waiting a week with no check I called to see if he still wanted it and then he said oh yea I will send it. It was another week till it came. Then no call, no email, no any communication with me what so ever. Just found this nasty post.

This is what makes it hard to find, buy, store and part these cars out and have people expect new 48 year old parts for a fair price. I work very hard to treat everyone as fair as possible.

This is pretty crappy of him.

Larry

Last edited by lemoldsnut; September 11th, 2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:06 PM
72 Olds CS

FWIW

the op has not been back on here since he posted last night
Old September 10th, 2015, 06:31 PM

I have had a few dealings with Larry and he's always been very helpful and a class act. That being said you can't please everyone. Keep up the good work Larry
Old September 11th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

To state the obvious, all of us would benefit when selling delicate parts if we shot a quick photo while packing, to document condition, so that if there is damage in transit, it would be easier to collect from the carrier. I haven't sold anything delicate that I recall, but I might easily have skipped this step before reading this upbeat thread.

- Eric
Old September 11th, 2015, 06:10 AM

I think a few important lessons have become evident with this thread.

1. Feedback is a whole different animal from the typical threads and forums on this site. As I noted earlier, feedback threads are about people, not cars or parts, and they can very quickly turn nasty.

2. In the ideal situation, buyer and seller attempt to resolve any problems before either of them post feedback, but there's no guarantee nor requirement that this happen, and there's no guarantee that buyer and seller will ever resolve any problems to the satisfaction of both.

3. If the feedback forum is to have any usefulness, people need to feel free to post their experiences, good or bad, without fear of verbal reprisals from others who were not part of the transaction. The first seven responses to the OP's original comment are a perfect example of this. They all carry basically the same questioning, relatively unpleasant tone and all say basically the same thing. They contribute nothing to knowledge about the particular transaction in question.

To this end, perhaps the following "rules" about this forum (which I still can't find--the "check the rules" comment at the top of the page should be a clickable link--I'm surprised it's not) should be instituted.

1. The best thing, as I mentioned earlier, would be for any particular feedback thread to be open only to the two parties involved. They're the only ones with any knowledge of the transaction. Some people say this is not doable, but I don't know. Right now, for example, when you go to Advanced Search to search on a username, as soon as you start typing anything into the search box, the site starts listing matching usernames, narrowing it down as you continue to type. Why can't the same thing be instituted when someone starts a feedback thread? When you click on "new thread," you are immediately taken to page where you must indicate the username of the person you are writing about in a dropdown box or something like that. The thread is then closed to posting to anyone other than the person who started the thread and the person named in that dropdown box.

2. If #1 is not doable, then the moderators need to be much more vigilant about a feedback thread when it starts than they are for typical threads. They should monitor the comments being left in response to the original post, and as soon as they become redundant or accusatory or in any way unhelpful about the transaction at hand, the thread should be closed. In the case of this particular thread, as I noted, the first seven comments after the OP's post all said pretty much the same thing, and the thread could have been closed after about the second or third one.

3. Yes, closing the thread early could prevent the person about whom the feedback is left from responding, as would have happened in this case. But this can be rectified easily by realizing that there's nothing to stop the other party (the seller, in this case), from starting his or her own thread in the feedback forum and putting their response there. People will see it.

I've said it before, and it's worth saying again. A feedback forum is only going to be useful if people feel free to post their comments and feelings about a transaction, good or bad, without fear of reprisal. If people become afraid to post because they receive the kind of negative response the OP of this thread received, then there might as well not be a feedback forum at all.

Quick Reply: Bad Deal